This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by poodlefeet View Post
    After several days off to deal with vertigo, my first client was a 6 month old yorkiepoo, never been to a groomer, lives on a farm, mom bathes but doesn't dry nor apparently comb. Yikes! They chose this pup because he was the blackest of all of them, but as I am removing all the mats I am uncovering the silver and gold adult coat coming in. Swore to her I was giving her back the same dog she brought in! Also managed to catch a great pic of the little stinker lifting his leg in my shop.

Post 197
    Heh, this is why I always try and mention on the yorkie and sometimes schnauzer pups that come in if I see the color change coming in... sort of an "Oh, he's going to grow out to be a gorgeous silver boy" or "what a pretty gold shade her big girl coat is going to be" just to sort of get them used to the idea that they will change colors. It's amazing how many people have no idea that their puppy won't stay the same shade

Post 210
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-10-19, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabbykitten13 View Post

Heh, this is why I always try and mention on the yorkie and sometimes schnauzer pups that come in if I see the color change coming in... sort of an "Oh, he's going to grow out to be a gorgeous silver boy" or "what a pretty gold shade her big girl coat is going to be" just to sort of get them used to the idea that they will change colors. It's amazing how many people have no idea that their puppy won't stay the same shade
      With the advent of the internet you would think folks would do their research first before purchasing a pup, and that would make them aware that a black Yorkie puppy won’t stay black. But as we know all too well many don’t do any research.
      Growing up we had Newfs. They don’t change color. When our first minpoo pup changed from the lovely apricot puppy coat he had to his adult crapicot color I was unhappily surprised. Nothing in the research I did talked about changes in coat and coat color. But thinking back, I was more concerned with temperament and health. I didn’t know the questions to ask.

Post 211
      Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-10-19, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Waiting with the last pup of the night. This little guy is Teddy and it's his first groom after adoption

Post 212
        Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-10-19, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• What a day! Two customers canceled their appointments today (one of them 15 minutes before her appointment) and third one just didn’t show up (was a new customer, who booked last month, and it was my mistake to schedule him in the middle of the day, instead of the end). But, on the positive side, I had time to actually sit down and eat my lunch, then cleaned up my station, cleaned and oiled my blades and shears, made a list of supplies I need to order soon, lots of other little things. And I had four nail trims, that paid well, so the day wasn’t a total waste.

Post 213

Comment

• Oof. I’d rather not work Saturdays, but have some good clients that Saturday is the only time that works. Twice I have given Saturday appointments to new clients, and both of them called a day ahead to tell me they had an out of town emergency. I’m guessing a concert. The one was fired from his last groomer for breaking appointments. Lucky for him there are other groomers in the area because he’s not coming back here.
            Speaking of booking, I have a few clients who just can’t seem to bring themselves to prebook even one month ahead. I casually whip out my appointment book and show them what the next month looks like so they aren’t shocked when it takes two weeks to fit them in. Especially now at holiday time I will not be running myself ragged to try to squeeze them in. Would love the money but do not want to be exhausted like past years.

Post 214

Comment

• Bernadoodle yesterday. Owner just had a baby, so missed an appointment, so 8 weeks growth. Husband brings dog, says wants to let hair grow. He shaves his own head, and all I can think is, 'grow your own hair, let's keep the dog short and manageable'. They have two young children plus an infant, I can't imagine how the dad has time to keep up with that much coat. Mats were only in feet and face, but there was apparently abuse involved in his early years involving controlling his head, so getting those mats out of his face was a struggle. Stragglers were left and it felt shameful, but doggonit I am not the one who doesn't comb his face everyday and twice on Sundays.
              Gave and showed dad some detailed info on keeping up with the coat. Guessing next month is gonna be a 5 blade all over. Maybe a 4.
              The really frustrating part is that I had to use a 10blade all over when they first adopted him.

Post 215
              Pet Charity Donation

Comment

• Shortest day ever during Season. Only 4. It’s sad to say but ever since our hospital got bought out by a corporation - and started raising prices and demanding vaccines for everything before allowing pets in for grooming or day care- we’ve seen a BIG shift in business. Mainly, they’ve killed it. The hospital is dying a slow death I fear.
                Told the managers today that I’d keep my schedule through the end of the year but that starting January we needed to sit down with the regional manager and come up with a plan.
                So they could have something to think Bout and use to develop their plan as well I told them my initial thoughts:
                I’d reduce to 4 days a week - that makes the trips worthwhile.
                Offered to work at one of the other corporate hospitals to start building a clientele there. Would prefer to do this at someplace not in conflict with the current hospital nor near my home ( since I groom from there and don’t want any conflict of interest claims). I’d be more then willing to help train another groomer to eventually continue building a business at the new location.
                Finally, if I do reduce my days I am not willing to have a replacement groomer come in and use my room since all the product and equipment is, in fact, mine- purchased by me. ( managers readily agreed to this).

Its a win-win for me if they agree. Retirement is in the future but I can’t right now. But I also don’t want to go back to a 1099 status and the tax mess.

Post 216

Comment

• The up side to short work days is that I’m getting time with my own dogs and managing to stay in touch with friends and neighbors. Usually at this time of the year I hardly see or talk to anyone else.

Post 217

Comment

• We started getting lots of holiday calls this week. Already pretty booked with my regulars. What isn't as busy as usual is the week before Thanksgiving but I wouldn't say slow.

My husband and I are buying a new car. We got 100K on our Nissan passenger car with pretty good track record. But I hate buying cars but I enjoy the new car. I just don't like the sales process. My husband already knows my budget limit side of the deal so I let him do most of the work, just stay in the budget.

I had a customer come in today. New, and they had to wait because their car was in the shop down a couple blocks. She had 2 kids. But they were great. She brought checkers and they played the whole time. Nice kids.

Post 218
                    Winner Complete Set of Grooming Business in a Box $139

Comment

• Just 2 more days to play before the grand prize drawing.
                      Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

• New client today. Yorkiepoo. Biggest, tallest yorkiepoo I ever saw. Daughter tried to give him a haircut using a 10 blade. That’s What they said anyway. I saw no evidence of it, but some ferocious mats. And crazy overgrown head.
                        And glory be, he made me a member of The Bite Club. Just barely hit the quick and he came at me hard and fast and by golly he would have kept going! I don’t really remember what I did, just that I got a hold of his head and explained in a pretty calm voice that that kind of behavior doesn’t fly here. Then left him to think it over while I cleaned and dressed the bite. Pretty uneventful groom after that. Big stinker.

Post 219
                        Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-16-19, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Eek we found out our cousins will be visiting us for the week after Christmas. 8 of them, and they are bringing dogs and 3 puppies not yet homed. I am going to take in two with 2 dogs. Everyone else is chipping in too. But I am looking forward to it now that I think about it. I have not seen them in years and I have my own business now. Will I brag, you bet.

Post 220

Comment

• Had a wild morning with some angry cats the other day... First one was a grouchy old lady that I've done before... Mom is upper 80's possibly even 90's and has a hard time brushing her, and Chloe is a very dense coated persian, and 15 herself. She had a nail touching the pad on both feet, and wasn't pleased with the rest of the groom, but we got her all trimmed down, if with kind of uneaven cheek tufts because she was getting a bit snappish by the end of it (Not that I blame her).
                            Second cat was like a scene from Kill Bill. Fine for nails and a pre-bath brush, got a little sqirmy when I turned the dryer on on the way to my tubs so it would be warming up but as soon as the water turned on it was game over. He kicked off the cone and dove over the tub and ran under it before I could grab the end of the lead around him (I admit, I had hesitated slightly to reach for it because of how fast his rage button turned on) He ran under the tub, along the side of the back wall and up the back of the other tub, with me trying to get hold of him without getting maimed. He ducked back under the second tub and flew out from under it directly at my bather and the anatolian she was bathing.
                            Ninja mode kicked in and I was able to grab the lead before the worst happened and pulled the cat out of harm's way. The cat wasn't done yet and went after my legs- thankfully I was able to keep him at arm's length and doubly thankful I was using one of the softer textured slip leads that stayed secure in a figure 8 instead of one of the stiffer ones that have the tendancy to come loose. My bather tried put a towel over him so I could get ahold but that just pissed him off more and he made a couple more leaps at the both of us.
                            Eventually I was able to get him over to the other side of the drying room, turn off the dryer and yell for my manager to bring in his carrier. At this point I saw there was was blood on the floor and was really worried that he had torn a nail, but it it was my own, from the only real damage of the ordeal- a good gash on my own knuckle. I was able to get him back in his carrier, and he got sent home with the lead. Mom was very sorry though the 7 year old almost gave me another round of heart failure when she started to open his carrier sitting on the counter at her face level.
                            I managed to get calmed down for my next cat bath, though I do think drama was in the air because he was in a bit of a contrary mood and tried to give me a rabbit kick or two for combing out his belly, though not too much worse than his stubborn self.
                            I almost wish I could have seen the camera footage from the whole thing, it would probably be quite a show. I'm very thankful that the dog was a very good girl, and didn't participate in the chaos, even when the cat flew out like a bat at her. She seemed to think the whole thing was some sort of awesome and thrilling drama put on for her benefit.

Post 221

Comment

• Originally posted by tabbykitten13 View Post
                              Waiting with the last pup of the night. This little guy is Teddy and it's his first groom after adoption

Post 212
                              So cute you did a good job.

Post 222

Comment

• Tabby your perseverance is awesome. In fact I have so much respect for all cat groomers.

Comment

Working...
                                X