X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $250 grand prize drawing is only 14 days away.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

• Breadmaking class. Yes I am taking a breadmaking class for 12 weeks and I am in the last 3 weeks. OMG the smell of 20 loaves baking is heaven, and I want it for a scent for my dog too. Now the family wants homemade bread every Sunday but you know what it keeps everyone home and it's not even strudel. Family tradition.

Post 196
      Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-05-19, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• After several days off to deal with vertigo, my first client was a 6 month old yorkiepoo, never been to a groomer, lives on a farm, mom bathes but doesn't dry nor apparently comb. Yikes! They chose this pup because he was the blackest of all of them, but as I am removing all the mats I am uncovering the silver and gold adult coat coming in. Swore to her I was giving her back the same dog she brought in! Also managed to catch a great pic of the little stinker lifting his leg in my shop.

Post 197
        Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-05-19, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• We had a staff meeting after work today with pizza and sodas. It was the annual get prepared for holidays meeting. Of all the staff meetings this is the one that everyone participates. I find out who wants extra work through the holidays, who needs to work less and it is so nice to see how they help one another. Sometimes there really is teamwork in grooming.

Post 198

Comment

• Originally posted by poodlefeet View Post
            After several days off to deal with vertigo, my first client was a 6 month old yorkiepoo, never been to a groomer, lives on a farm, mom bathes but doesn't dry nor apparently comb. Yikes! They chose this pup because he was the blackest of all of them, but as I am removing all the mats I am uncovering the silver and gold adult coat coming in. Swore to her I was giving her back the same dog she brought in! Also managed to catch a great pic of the little stinker lifting his leg in my shop.
            I've been finding lately that those yorkies mat horribly when they coat color starts changing. I have a really good monthly client that started having me do her new pup really early. She was slightly tangled, and I thought that's strange for a puppy. The next month I had to skin her. Owner does not bathe in between. Then I just had another one, matted to the skin as well. They had been bathing but are usually really good at keeping their other dog mat free.

Post 199

Comment

• That Yorkie story Poodlefeet and Cockerlvr reminds me of something we started this year.

We offer a free combout for regulars and that means every 4 weeks max. Some actually take advantage of the service. One of my bathers does it since I have up to 4 bathers no problem and takes no more than 10 minutes max in worse case. Yes if they bathe between and make things worse, we might make an exception on the freebie but that has not happened yet.

So it seems like maybe we shouldn't do this? It only costs me up to $3 to $4 for my bather, but the flip side is many of these owners would likely go 6 weeks or more between appointments but they are sticking to 4 weeks and I am strict about that. I am making LOTS more money a year, over $200 easily and maybe more each year, by having them stick to 4 weeks and their grooms are faster. The customers love the freshened look of the combouts. It works.

Post 200

WINNER Pet Charity Donation on your behalf
              Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-05-19, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• My magic grooming wand was working well for me today- had a matter up t-poodle and was able to leave a topknot <3

Post 201
                Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 11-05-19, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Well I had a cancellation so here I am with an hour to spare. I have to cook a turkey this year! Yes it is my turn. We meet at grandparents each year. I have to be there at 7 am to start the cooking. I ordered a special Diestel turkey this year. Love those. Having it shipped. Now the stuffing is mine too. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any great different ideas for stuffing. Actually my grandma makes an old Italian version where you actually sort of whip the pudding more like whipped potatoes. Some people even from a distance think it is mashed whipped potatoes. Nope. It is the best ever I have tasted and so unlike what American stuffing! And I know she will make that anyway, so I still have to make the stuffing.

Mom is making homemade cranberry with a slight tart tang, not lots of sugar. Grandma was smart and has 2 ovens, if you cook, always have 2 ovens for holidays. I am thinking of some roasted pecans in the stuffing, and I might bake my own herb bread to make the stuffing. I can bake those the day before.

Going to scope some more recipes out but any suggestions would be greatly considered.

Post 202
                  WINNER Wahl Stainless Steel Combs

Comment

• My kids came over yesterday and brought me a Balsam Hill christmas tree. YIKES they are unlike any I have seen. Beautiful tree and with white or color lights. I love great kids, especially when they came frome me LOL.

A neighbor across the street moved in and she said everyone seems to say you the dog star around here. She has 2 Salukis. Lovely dogs. Very sweet and she loves that breed. I invited her in and she knows everything about them. It was fun and I thought she might show or breed. No, just loves the breed. She is going to come in for a tour of the shop sometimes. My dogs just loved her dogs too. A little bark bark and then my male said wowza.

She invited me over sometime. Nice neighbor, loves dogs, we are off to good start.

Comment

• New customer yesterday with a tiny (4-5 lb) yorkie. Moved here from other end of state. No groomer records/notes. Would have been helpful, but it went ok. But the whole time I was grooming her the thought kept running through my head that maybe I ought to add a weight restriction to my website-no dogs under 10 pounds. Haha! Today I have an overweight Pyr coming in that I haven't seen since April. Guarantee I will enjoy that more than I did the tiny little package of 'I think I am a baby joey'.

Post 204
                      Winner 25 extra tickets in the drawing for $250

Comment

• Had a very nice day.
                        Found a new web site to explore, recommended by a neighbor who travels a lot. TrustedHouseSitters.com. People from all over the world looking for someone to care for their pets in exchange for staying for free. My neighbor has already lined up a house in Birmingham England in time for Crufts. All she has to do is take care of the homeowners Norwich Terrier and macaw. The US listings are intriguing.
                        Just putting it out there for anyone who wants to travel.

Post 205

Comment

• Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                          Had a very nice day.
                          Found a new web site to explore, recommended by a neighbor who travels a lot. TrustedHouseSitters.com. People from all over the world looking for someone to care for their pets in exchange for staying for free. My neighbor has already lined up a house in Birmingham England in time for Crufts. All she has to do is take care of the homeowners Norwich Terrier and macaw. The US listings are intriguing.
                          Great idea!

Poodlefeet I was talking with a programmer that wants to find a way to have groomer notes for the pets entire life and stored on a small chip hung on the collar.

Post 206

Comment

• Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                            Had a very nice day.
                            Thank you I have family that would love to explore that site.

Post 207

Comment

• Originally posted by poodlefeet View Post
                              New customer yesterday with a tiny (4-5 lb) yorkie. Moved here from other end of state. No groomer records/notes. Would have been helpful, but it went ok. But the whole time I was grooming her the thought kept running through my head that maybe I ought to add a weight restriction to my website-no dogs under 10 pounds. Haha! Today I have an overweight Pyr coming in that I haven't seen since April. Guarantee I will enjoy that more than I did the tiny little package of 'I think I am a baby joey'.
                              When my customers move I write up notes for them. One time I even had a good customer that sadly moved away and I faxed notes for her.

I find I slow down a lot with those tiny ones. Less to groom sure but I feel I have to be extra super careful with them. They also don't tend to stand so well.

Post 208 WINNER Wahl Stainless Steel Comb set

Comment

• I would truly pay to have a smaller version of my Wahl cordless for these tiny things. The regular clipper is just too darn big to use on them and besides they don’t have good guard combs

Post 209

Comment

Working...
                                X