Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veteran groomers...which tools best for cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran groomers...which tools best for cats?

I am trying to get my supplies ordered. The next grooming show nearest me isn't until October. Can anyone tell me what equipment they are using? Specifically sheers (and what size you'd recommend), dryer suggestions (I prefer not to cage dry), and brand of combs. Thanks for your help!

Hi Gwendolynd... are you talking cat show grooming or regular pet grooming?

For cat show grooming, it's a bit different than my regular cat grooming. I also have Siberians, which have a triple coat.. so it takes a while to dry them. So, if I'm going to show one of my cats, I will pre-bathe a week before. Then two days before a show will bathe again. I do cage dry for about an hour, then take my dryer and using a cone will blow dry the rest of the way. The dryer I use is a Master Blaster and is a smaller one, so it doesn't blow the cats away lol. I do use Chubbs when I'm showing my cats. I also rinse for 5 min, then rinse with a vinegar rinse, then rinse a bit more.

I use an older Les Pooch brush and a couple of different Ashley Craig greyhound style combs. They are just older combs and brushes. But Chris Christensen makes good combs, too.

For regular grooming.. all my cats are bathed every 5 weeks. I use a hypo shampoo and again rinse the same. My cats are not shaved at all since I keep their coats in pretty good condition. The difference between my way of show grooming with my Siberians and my pet way is that I want to keep as much hair as possible for the show groom, but want to get a lot more hair off during regular grooming.. so the cats have less hair to deal with.

Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about competition grooming like grooming designs into coats??
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

For cat grooming, I use a Bravura #10 for shave downs (Lion Cut and santi trims). The clipper is quiet and cordless. You shave in reverse for a smooth and close cut.

For shampoo....I do three baths.....2 baths with a degreaser shampoo (Les Pooch F & T) and 1 bath with a tearless, hyper allergenic, shampoo (Tropiclean). I wash the head twice with the tearless shampoo. You don't use conditioner, since their skin is oily.

I use a fine tooth comb for combing, find a nice one at your GroomExpo

I use a Kool Air HV dryer that doesn't use heat, this is what the NCGIA suggests (no heat). I do not use a nozzle, just the open end of the hose, next to their skin.

I have several different sizes of dog harness's that snaps over the back of the pet, not the neck., I then snap on my grooming arm loop to this harness so the cat doesn't jump/escape off the table.

There are slicker brushes made just for cats.......they have a little ball at the end of each wire....cat's skin is so thin that I do not use my Les Pooch brushes.

Good Luck

Happy going to cat grooming school

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC
      NCGIA Cert # 3-69-89

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

My go to comb is the Chris Christensen Cat Comb.

I just recently purchased a dogshammy dryer at the recommendation of another cat groomer. It is small, powerful and best of all quiet.

Scott

Comment

Thanks, this has been very informative. I am learning to professionally groom cats. I do have my own cats but they are shorthair, so they don't really require much in the way of grooming. Since I can't get to grooming expo until this fall, I can't really compare how loud dryers are. I can only view all supplies online, which doesn't help. For sheers, I was thinking 4" for trimming around the paws but I saw a thinning shear that is 41/2 inches and I was wondering if that smaller size would be better for matts than a larger size. This got me to wondering what size shears others use. Everything is so expensive! I hope to start adding supplies as I can and then offer to do grooms for free to friends and the local shelter so I can get more experience.

Some day when the kids are gone, I hope to get into showing- at least try it. I can't decide yet what breed I want, I love them all

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
            My go to comb is the Chris Christensen Cat Comb.

I just recently purchased a dogshammy dryer at the recommendation of another cat groomer. It is small, powerful and best of all quiet.

Scott
            Scott, I had to look up the dog shammy dryer. Just being nosey here....did you get the regular hv looking one or one of those strange looking ones that are tiny wall mounted things?
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I do house call cat grooming. I don't need many tools, so mine didn't cost a lot.
              Small metal comb.
              Large metal comb.
              Any grooming dryer will work ok, but since I do house call I use a high-quality human hair dryer to avoid blowing fur all over.
              Small ball-tip scissors (cost about $8 I think)
              Plastic elizabethan collar (called an e-collar) purchased for $10 at vet clinic. Protects from bites.
              Bravura 5-in-1 clipper
              I'm minimalist, since my mother was raised in a village in a foreign country. When we washed the floors, we did it using a wet rag, not even a mop, ha ha. If I could groom a cat that way, I would

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                I do house call cat grooming. I don't need many tools, so mine didn't cost a lot.
                Small metal comb.
                Large metal comb.
                Any grooming dryer will work ok, but since I do house call I use a high-quality human hair dryer to avoid blowing fur all over.
                Small ball-tip scissors (cost about $8 I think)
                Plastic elizabethan collar (called an e-collar) purchased for $10 at vet clinic. Protects from bites.
                Bravura 5-in-1 clipper
                I'm minimalist, since my mother was raised in a village in a foreign country. When we washed the floors, we did it using a wet rag, not even a mop, ha ha. If I could groom a cat that way, I would
                Hi, I share your philosophy! My grandmother lived through the depression and she was like my second mother. She taught me a lot. I thought it wouldn't be too expensive to start up. I don't really know where to shop online, so I googled brand names I saw on the forums. Then I was overwhelmed with it all. I didn't even think to ask my local vet about buying an e-collar. Great idea. Can I ask what dryer you use and if you like it?

Comment

People who lived through the Depression sure know how to keep expenses down!
                  I use this dryer. I spent so much on it because when I dry cats with long, thick fur, drying can take quite a while. I needed a salon-quality dryer with cold air, hot air options. I also wanted a quiet dryer.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Karmin-Salon-...Pro+Hair+Dryer

You could get away with a much cheaper dryer. I'd study the Amazon reviews of dryers to find the lowest-cost, salon-quality dryer you can find. If you are just starting out, I wouldn't want to spend much on the dryer, because you may wind up switching to another dryer or losing interest.
                  Here are salon-quality dryers that are cheaper. Some have great reviews.
                  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2AMTUV50UBMIX

Originally posted by gwendolynd View Post
                  Hi, I share your philosophy! My grandmother lived through the depression and she was like my second mother. She taught me a lot. I thought it wouldn't be too expensive to start up. I don't really know where to shop online, so I googled brand names I saw on the forums. Then I was overwhelmed with it all. I didn't even think to ask my local vet about buying an e-collar. Great idea. Can I ask what dryer you use and if you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                    Scott, I had to look up the dog shammy dryer. Just being nosey here....did you get the regular hv looking one or one of those strange looking ones that are tiny wall mounted things?
                    This one with the noise reduction and smoothcoat http://www.dogshammy.com/product/mod...-switch-120-v/

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                      This one with the noise reduction and smoothcoat http://www.dogshammy.com/product/mod...-switch-120-v/

Scott
                      Ahh...it's pretty small as well, Let us know how the smooth coat technology works and how quiet it is and how powerful compared to our K9 and Double K HV dryers are.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                        Ahh...it's pretty small as well, Let us know how the smooth coat technology works and how quiet it is and how powerful compared to our K9 and Double K HV dryers are.
                        It is very small and reasonably quiet. I used it yesterday on my Pommie here at home and it worked great. When the Smoothcoat is on you can actually smell the difference of the air coming out because of the negative ion generator. My Pommie looked great and he was a mess. It was much better then my little metro.

I'm going to be using it mainly with the Catty Shack, so I'm going to mount it to the wall next to it.

Scott

Comment

I have two dryers but they are same brand just different models. The first one I got is a CC Kool Dry and the second one is a CC Extreme. They are both variable speed, which I really like for cats because you can start it really low, barely blowing and then increase if needed and as the cat becomes used to it. The Extreme is pretty tiny in comparison to the Kool Dry but is actually slightly more powerful when turned up to the highest level. Both are relatively quiet (the Kool Dry slightly quieter than the Extreme). The Extreme will warm a bit, but it is just with the motor, not a heating element and never gets hot, just warm.

Do not use shears on cats other than perhaps to round out feet when trimming tufts if the owner wants that done. I only trim toe tufts on request, not as a general practice. Never use shears on the body of a cat! It would be way too easy to seriously injure a cat, especially if they move unexpectedly, which they will do often. Thinning or blending shears can be useful for some things like blending uneven hair so it looks natural and doesn't look "cut". I don't think I would use them for the paws though. Yes, the shorter thinning shears would be easier to use on a cat than the longer ones, the one I have is either 4 or 4.5".

I use the CC Buttercombs. I have a 7.5" Coarse /Medium and a 4.5" face comb Medium/Fine. I also have one of the CC cat combs, but usually use it to strip shed out of the coat rather than general comb out.

Comment

Working...
                          X