Bengal cats and rabies vaccination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bengal cats and rabies vaccination

I groom 2 adorable Bengals. The owner told me that a vet vaccinated them without discussing it. One of the cats was already sick, and became sicker after the rabies shot. Upset stomach. Barely able to move for several days. I don't know if it was the shot itself that caused the problem, or the shot combined with the already existing health problem.
    The owner told me that he found out that Bengals often react poorly to rabies vaccinations.
    Have you found this to be the case? Is it something genetic?
    Also, in general, when grooming Bengals, is there anything I should do differently than when grooming other breeds? They get a bath every two months.
    Thank you.

Maybe BengalCat Guy is still around. He breeds them. You could PM him.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

From what I have read ALL cats can have a reaction to the rabies vacc. Symptoms you described were spot on for a reaction. I have to say though NO animal should be given vaccs if already sick.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

No Bengal's are no more sensitive to vaccinations than any other cat. Just really bad luck.

As far as grooming, my show Bengals are bathed at least a couple of times a month. I normally use Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp. I also use another shampoo that brings out the "glitter" of the Bengal coat on my Brown Spotted cats. On my Seal Mink Snows, I like to use Nature's Specialties Plum Silky.

There is nothing special required to groom a Bengal.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
          Maybe BengalCat Guy is still around. He breeds them. You could PM him.
          I'm not a breeder :-)

I work with several breeders and I love to show their Bengals, in fact, I love to show almost any breed of cat. But breeding is not something I ever got into.

Scott

Comment

Two of my three dogs are allergic to the Rabies vaccine... One is anaphylactic, the other loses most of its coat. The other dog is reactive to Bordetella vaccine.

Comment

Thank you. Very helpful.
              Scott, do you blow dry your Bengals or let them air dry?

Comment

Check your state laws but in NY I do titres testing for Rabies. The only problem is the state does not recognize titres and if my dog or a cat ever bite anyone they would have to be quarantined.
                It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
                  Check your state laws but in NY I do titres testing for Rabies. The only problem is the state does not recognize titres and if my dog or a cat ever bite anyone they would have to be quarantined.
                  Quarantine is normal in dogs and cats to bite someone requiring medical attention whether they have a current vaccine or not.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                    Thank you. Very helpful.
                    Scott, do you blow dry your Bengals or let them air dry?
                    I blow dry them.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                      Quarantine is normal in dogs and cats to bite someone requiring medical attention whether they have a current vaccine or not.
                      Yep!
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                      X