Small Persian cats with matted groin & inner rear legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Persian cats with matted groin & inner rear legs

Are there any videos or photos of groomers using conditioner and an HV to blow out the mats from the groin and inner rear legs of a matted cat such as a Persian? I worked on a slim Persian with mats in that area. The cat had already been sent to a vet clinic twice by previous groomers due to cutting the skin, and one of the injuries was severe enough to result in a vet bill of over $1,000.
    Took me over an hour to do the groin and rear legs. The cat was an 11 year old flat-face. Owner was concerned about risk of sedation, so the kitty was not medicated. Cat bucking and flipping around, so had to give breaks, then start again, only had about a minute before the cat would start fighting the grooming again.
    Succeeded in getting all the big mats and some of the tiny ones, but there has to be a better way. I want to learn more about using the HV and conditioner to blow out mats in the very thin-skinned sensitive areas of cats.

Have the owner hold the cat up, leaving the back feet on the table. Using a #40 blade (I always use a Bravura), pull the skin tight and slowly groom this area. You might also need a second person just to hold the back legs tight so he doesn't lift the legs and scratch you. You shouldn't use any type of conditioner on a cat, since their fur is so oily to begin with. Always use the lowest setting, (no nozzle) on your HV, and make sure there is no heat. A lot of times, I tell the owner that the head/face probably won't be dried with the dryer, so the cat doesn't freak out too much.

Happy not using conditioner

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Hi Dolly. This is similar to what I wound up doing, after a lot of trial and error. One of the owners held the kitty under the armpits while I worked on the lower belly, groin and inside rear legs.
      You suggest a #40 instead of a #10? Is that a better and safer way to get under mats that are tight up against the skin?
      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
        Hi Dolly. This is similar to what I wound up doing, after a lot of trial and error. One of the owners held the kitty under the armpits while I worked on the lower belly, groin and inside rear legs.
        You suggest a #40 instead of a #10? Is that a better and safer way to get under mats that are tight up against the skin?
        Thank you.
        Yes, a #40 is like a "surgery" blade......very close to skin. When matts are so close to the skin, a #10 sometimes just doesn't do the job. You can try a #15, then a #30, and if they don't work, then I rely on the #40. Usually I can get those tiny matts with a #15 or #30, but I have had to go with a #40 on a couple of times.

Good Luck

Happy owning a Bravura

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Working...
        X