Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping to get into cat grooming.

Hello cat groomers!

I am looking for advice from some of you who currently do kitties. I currently work at a box store where no one does cats, and I am hoping to start doing cats at some point. I had some safety training and hands on practice in grooming school and an apprenticeship I did after, as well as doing lion clips on my own cat. I truly enjoy working on cats. My first big box store offered kitty nail trims and claw cap application, and I feel very comfortable doing both.

I guess my biggest worry about cat grooming is safety. I am naturally a worry wort, and while I do know some things about cat handling i am sure there is much more I could know! Those of you that do cats, do you believe most bites and injuries can be prevented through proper handling and equipment? Or are cats that much more unpredictable?

I am sad to see that the NCGIA school closed down, but I am seriously considering pursuing their private training option. Has anybody done this? I don't think I could afford 5 days of training, but I may be able to swing 4. In the mean time, what are your favorite resources for getting a head start on learning? I will continue to read through the posts on this forum, and I have a subscription to Learn2groomdogs, so I can watch their videos. Any books I should purchase? Blogs to follow?

Thank you!

NCGIA has several videos and other instructional material that can get you started before doing the individualized instruction. I am a CFMG and obtained the title before the school was initially started. Most of my experience came from my work as a Vet tech and as a cat show exhibitor. After starting my cat grooming and boarding business in 2008, I discovered NCGIA and purchased the videos, books, and other materials and learned much as I could. In 2010, I went to a grooming trade show in Texas where Danelle was offering certification testing. I took all the practicals and written tests in that one weekend and was able to obtain my CFMG title.

Cats ARE different than dogs. I have worked with dogs and did bathing and shave downs on dogs while working at Vet clinics, but much preferred working with the cats. They can be more unpredictable and in general don't appreciate the experience of grooming until they get home, where owners often report they will prance and parade around to show off their new "do".

The first things any cat groomer should have on hand are an air muzzle or snap-on e-collar, and a pair of nail clippers. If you eliminate or reduce the "weapons of mass destruction" you are usually able to handle the majority of kitty clients that might come your way. There will of course be those that only the most experienced cat groomer will be able to handle, but you can only become that groomer with time and patience. Those groomers that can work with difficult dogs didn't start out with that ability, they started out with the "bread and butter" grooms. Same with cat groomers. If it is beyond your ability, don't be afraid to refer it to another groomer or a Vet for sedation, but get as much experience as you can with the ones that you can handle. Get as much instruction in handling as you can get and have as much safety equipment on hand as you can. That is what everyone should start with.

Comment

Thank you very much Aristocats!!

I just spoke to my management and they are trying to set up a mentorship program for me. In the mean time I have been on the NCGIA website, and hope to purchase some of the DVDs as soon as my paycheck will allow. I've also been watching the cat grooming videos on Learn2groomdogs. I am very excited!

Comment

Working...
      X