No announcement yet.

Wahl KM10 with #10 blade and which Wahl Stainless Steel comb for long hair cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahl KM10 with #10 blade and which Wahl Stainless Steel comb for long hair cats

I usually don't offer comb cuts, but I'm thinking of offering them for senior long-haired cats.
    If I use my Wahl KM10 with #10 blade plus a Wahl Stainless Steel comb, which comb should I use? I would want to make them shorter, but not really short (don't I sound like a client now, ha ha?)
    Maybe use the 5/8" yellow comb? What would you use in that situation?

I do have a Bravura, but I don't have the 5 in 1 combs for it.

We all did a cut with snap on combs in school and they all came out horrible. Even the NCGIA DVD on this cut looks choppy. The outcome does not even compare to using the combs on a dogs. I believe its the fineness and the undercoat of the cat's coats that makes it a bad combination.

Happy doing a Lion Cut

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

That's one reason I didn't want to offer them.
      I'm reconsidering though, because with the old cats whose owners are determined to get them shaved down, at least I could offer a safer alternative to shaving.
      Just thinking about it now. Not sure I'll do it.

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
      We all did a cut with snap on combs in school and they all came out horrible. Even the NCGIA DVD on this cut looks choppy. The outcome does not even compare to using the combs on a dogs. I believe its the fineness and the undercoat of the cat's coats that makes it a bad combination.

Happy doing a Lion Cut

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Are you going to use suction, like clipper vac or the universal hose attachment that can go on a shop vac? Without the suction, it will be almost impossible to do a comb cut on a cat, especially a senior one.

I do a lot of comb cuts (I call them Plushies) on cats and it would be safer than shaving as long as the owner is willing to have it done often enough that the coat is kept in good condition all the time. Even one of my own senior cats is kept in a Plushie now even though I used to shave her all the time. She is now a 17 yr old Persian. This is even one of the cats I used as my LH test cat when I took my practical exams for my CFMG title 7 years ago. I did lion shaves on her until she was about 13 years, but as she lost muscle mass and her skin started getting a bit saggy, it was getting risky to continue keeping her in a lion. She has always loved being groomed, from shaving to bathing, and will purr and make biscuits most of the time. So I decided to change to the Plushie to keep her coat manageable. I also had a client's cat that went from lion cuts to Plushie cuts as he aged. He was always scheduled every month and was very easy to maintain using the combs since you don't have to worry so much about nicking the skin. Plushies are only for cats that are NOT matted or have excess shed, so they need to be maintained pretty frequently. About the comb length, the shorter the comb length, the smoother the outcome. I have used most of the comb lengths at one time or another, but with a senior cat, I tend to prefer the 1/2 inch or even the 3/8 inch.

Comment

Oh, and I use a #30 under my combs. I also have photos of a couple of my Plushies on my website and I don't think they look horrible. Besides, when you are talking about a senior cat, comfort and safety is more important than smoothness of the cut.

Comment

I think I won't be offering them. Thanks for the very useful replies

Comment

Working...
            X