uh oh - grooming a cat for the first(?) time next Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh oh - grooming a cat for the first(?) time next Saturday

I knew I shouldn't have read this forum because it is just making me freak out more!

I saw that a cat was booked in for next Saturday and told the manager that I don't groom cats and was met with a 'well you do now!'. I *think* I groomed a cat 10 years ago or maybe I just helped hold it. All I can remember is being told that they split open very easily and I know from having cats that their skin is very different to dog skin and they are very wriggly.

I will get another girl to help me hold it and try to keep the skin taut... what number blade should I use? 10, 15?

Any advice?

... I hope it doesn't turn up!

Advise: Don't do it! Leave the cats for cat groomers, they are an entirely different critter than a dog.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

What kind of grooming is it? Will you be doing a lion cut, or just a bath and blow dry?

Comment

In the appointment book it says clip - so I guess that will also mean a bath

Comment

Cat grooming is totally different than grooming dogs. You will want to get that cat on/off your table in 1 hr or less, do triple bathing (2 with degreasing shampoo, 1 with hypo tearless shampoo), the dryer should be cool air only (no heat), no neck loops, put around shoulder and front leg, use a #10 in reverse, use a Bravura since it is quiet, don't shave down beyond the elbow of front legs, only down to hock on back legs, don't shave head, only up to the neck area, do all cutting before bath. My best advise is to refer the cat to someone who is experienced with feline grooming. You might contact your nearest Persian rescue and ask who does their cats. Just remember, any scratch or bite may result in a serious infection, so have your first aid kit open and ready :>) You should also have an Air Muzzle to prevent biting.

Happy going to cat grooming school

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC
          Certified Feline Master Groomer 2-69-89

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Thanks Dolly, those are some good tips - I am dreading it!

Comment

Some cats are mellow as jello, so you might get lucky. Hope so! Here's a secret that I wish I knew when I started grooming cats. If you use at LEAST two big -- big, not medium sized, or as big as you have -- towels, you can bundle cats up so only their head is showing. Tuck the towels under their backside so they can't get their legs out. This keeps them still and for some, calms them down. Then you pull out each paw you want to trim. For the rear claws, unwrap the rear and do them while holding the cat's body close to your belly.
              When you want to shave, you can remove the towels totally or if the cat is wiggling around and fighting, you can keep the front of the cat wrapped up until you're ready for the front, while working your way up from the back. Same with drying. You can unwrap what you need.
              For the bath, if kitty is fighting it, work fast, don't aim for perfection -- personally I'd say since it's your first cat groom this is really just about getting through it without damage to you or the cat, so do one shampooing and consider it done unless kitty is mellow -- and hold on to the loose fur at the back of the cat's shoulder/neck. If you have nails, be sure not to dig them in. If your hand is high enough on the back of the cat's neck, the cat can't reach around and bite, assuming that kitty does want to bite. Don't choke the cat though!! Be aware of the cat's face. Is the cat panting? The cat needs a short break from grooming. Cats don't normally pant. Anyway, good luck.You'll do fine.

Comment

yikes! what kind of manager is throwing you head first into cat grooming???? I agree with Cyn, but whatever you decide, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

This is bad, cat grooming is for cat groomers with plenty of special experience. I don't want to scare you, but a cat bite can even end up a groomer in hospital. Read threads here. So know when to refuse. No matter what the cost, but don't go in scared, just slow and careful. Dolly is right. Emma too. Hopefully you get a mellow kitty.

Comment

Ugh…I would not do this! It is irresponsible of your boss to make you groom a cat if you say you are not a cat groomer. I groomed cats in school, but I am so not a cat person, and as everybody else said, cats is a totally different animal than a dog. I have tremendous respect for all you cat whisperers, but I will stick to dogs.

Comment

If my boss told me I was going to groom a cat, I would laugh and tell them they can cancel that appointment or groom it themselves. I have never been trained on cats (nor will I ever be, I'm allergic), so why would you set me up for failure? Grooming cats is a whole different game, and I don't know the rules.

Comment

Agree, I would refuse. As others have Totally different ball game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vehs View Post
                          I knew I shouldn't have read this forum because it is just making me freak out more!

I saw that a cat was booked in for next Saturday and told the manager that I don't groom cats and was met with a 'well you do now!'. I *think* I groomed a cat 10 years ago or maybe I just helped hold it. All I can remember is being told that they split open very easily and I know from having cats that their skin is very different to dog skin and they are very wriggly.

I will get another girl to help me hold it and try to keep the skin taut... what number blade should I use? 10, 15?

Any advice?

... I hope it doesn't turn up!
                          How did it go?

Comment

I wish I knew too.

Comment

I want to know too! OP, please tell us how it went!

Comment

Working...
                              X