Nothing but skin and bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing but skin and bones

I groomed this cat yesterday that had almost no meat on her. She was so thin and old that I was afraid I might nick her. She had horrible matting under her belly and under her arms. The owner was totally oblivious (don't these people every touch their cats). I ended up having to put a cat muzzle on her so I could shave her tummy and pits because she wanted to bite, she calmed right down and totally relaxed when I put the muzzle on.
    I think that was the first time I was nervous about shaving a cat. The skin just hung off her. Poor thing.

UGH!!

I hate grooming these kitties. It breaks my heart. And I swear I hold my breath the entire time I'm shaving. I've asked that same question about if the owners ever actually touch their cat! It's inexcusable! Combing and brushing a cat in this kind of physical condition is uncomfortable enough when the coat isn't matted. And their skin is so fragile. At least she feels better now thanks to you. Way to go!! I hope you insisted on a pre-booked appointment of no more than 6 weeks.

Stacey

Comment

Was it old or just neglected?
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

A lot of these super thin kitties, especially the old ones, are suffering from kidney/liver failure. And unlike dogs, where hypOthyroidism is common, in cats hypERthyroidism is common. Dogs get fat, cats get skinny.

These cats should be evaluated by a vet before being groomed.

Comment

How sad! I ran into the opposite situation with a relative of my bf who's house we went to for Christmas. One of her (much loved) cats is VERY, VERY OBESE to the point he will only walk a bit at a time before sitting or laying down again. The other cats aren't fat and though this one is on a special "lite" diet, she told me he isn't losing. I casually asked if she's ever had his thyroid checked and she said no, that she'd never thought of that and wondered why her vet never mentioned it... in fact, she said the vet even said something about having owned obese cats, too, like it was "no big deal!" I recommended my vet to her and she was sooo thankful for it all. I told her I wasn't sure if the problem would be with his thyroid, but that it was very important for her to find the cause and try to curb her cat's obesity for his continued health and well being. I know she loves her cats so I'm hopeful and believe the next update I hear will be positive...

Comment

How scarey!

That is one thing that I am concerned with. Grooming pets that have some kind of poor health condition that could cause them distress during or right after their grooming. I will probably require a vet okay for obvious questionable conditions.

Comment

Hypothyroidism is rare in cats. But rare doesn't mean impossible. I don't know why vets don't think of it with these really obese cats. It's not a difficult thing to test for, and it's fairly simple and inexpensive to treat.

Comment

hate to say it

But some people don't get bloodwork done because it cost more money. They know they are already going to have a bill and don't want to add to it. I have also met people cruel enough to say." it's just a cat" like they dont have any feeling.
                If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

My heart goes out to you and that poor kitty. They really nedd to come out with a health insurance for animals. One thats easy to afford, cause I heard of some. That kitty sounds like it really needs medical attention.

Comment

Pet Health

It's funny how some people will own an animal that is in obvious poor health and not make any effort to get it help. I have never understood that one.

Comment

poor baby

julie
                      bless you for helping this poor baby out,these cats are so scary to groom,their skin just sags,im sure you are the only one in a long time thats given this poor kitty any kind of attention
                      trish

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                        Hypothyroidism is rare in cats. But rare doesn't mean impossible. I don't know why vets don't think of it with these really obese cats. It's not a difficult thing to test for, and it's fairly simple and inexpensive to treat.
                        Amen to that Helly, I too learned that hypothyroidism is usually not the problem, but just the opposite is most common. But that doesn't mean it's IMPOSSIBLE.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                        X