snap on combs for cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snap on combs for cats

does anyone use snap-on combs for shaving cats, is it safer than using a straight metal blade. I really enjoyed bathing my first cat and want to promote more services to cats, I know they can be dangerous, but this one was a sweetie. thanks for any help you can give!

I use the Wahl Series over a #30 blade. As long as kitty is dry and brushed out thoroughly, they work great. You still have to be careful to not catch a fold of skin from the armpit/groin area, in between the comb or you can still nick them with the blade. I use mine with a Taxi Vac, I don't know how nice they would come out without one??

Comment

Most of the cats i groom would not sit still or cooperate well enough to use a Clip comb. is there a trick to it? I had a very well behaved persian once and even though she was clean and dry and tangle free I just could not make her look even at all using a Clip comb.

Comment

I agree, I have yet to make a snap on look very good. It seems to take wayyyy too long! You have to go over them a bazillion and one times. I always say it's all or nothing, but being one of a handful of groomers in the state that does cats, I'd love to be able to offer actual haircuts.
        Erin
        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

My boss will use them, but she will make people aware that it may not look smooth. There hair is so soft and cottony it can be hard to get a smooth look. The same goes for the longer blades (3, 4, etc.)
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I can groom a cat a lot faster with a snap-on comb than with a blade---and when I use a blade, I personally only use a #7 reverse on the more solid areas of the body only, or a #10 with the grain. When I use combs I just start at the bottom and work my way up toward the head. I scruff the cat if I need to, and stand the cat up on its hind legs for the belly. The combs work great, and they're safer than blades.

I use the clipper vac, this helps a LOT with getting a more even clip. Especially clipping in reverse. I always tell the owners it will not be smooth like a dog's haircut usually is, and I also tell them it will take the shine off the coat, leaving more of a mat finish. That way they're not too shocked, lol.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I like kitties in a #2 attachment comb -- that comb seems to come out the smoothest of most lengths. I normally blade the entire body and then use whatever blade (or attachment comb) reversed on the inside of the back legs, belly and bottom two-thirds of the legs. (Don't do hips or shoulders reversed) With any attachment combs longer than the #2, I use one step shorter on the legs and belly. So if I "O" the body, I then #1 comb the legs & belly. Sure smooths out better and saves a bit on scissoring time. I like to be able to scissor as little as possible on cat legs because that's what they usually hate held the most!

Comment

Working...
              X