Cat Grooming Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Grooming Safety

I'm interested in cat grooming as I'm getting alot of requests for it and no one else in my area does it. A friend of a friend was recently bathing her cat and the cat bit her leaving quit a deep wound. To make a long story short her finger really started to hurt and the pain started to go up her arm and apparantly she went to emerg and they told her that if she had of waited much longer she could have died. The doctor mentioned that it is a virus/infection or something along that line. It is seen mostly in older cats and if they happen to bite it can be transferred to humans. My friend is trying to find out more information but in the meantime, has anyone heard of this happening before? Are there alot of safety risks when grooming cats and what are they? Maybe that's way no one wants to groom them, am I one of the crazy ones. Maybe I'm just overreacting. I just want to cover all my bases before I decide wheather or not to get into it. I'm hoping in the near future to go to the cat grooming school in SC.

Thanks for you input

There was a large discussion on here not long ago about grooming cats. Yes it does happen and can be quite sever. I groom lots of cats and I enjoy it. But I almost always have two people available when I'm grooming cats. I hate bathing a cats they don’t enjoy it and the risk seems to go up from there. I will do it and I know that a lot of the certified cat groomers recommend bathing to get a better groom. Go to the cat grooming association website they have a great book on grooming cats.

Comment

I do not groom cats without assistance. I also work at a vet and will sedate the ones who needs it for my and their safety. I worked with a girl who got an infection from her own cat biting her and it caused her to have a stroke and go partially blind in one eye! Cat bites can be very serious! Do not brush them off!
      Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

Hi Lexus,
        As the others have said, cat grooming bites are nothing to take lightly. A bite can be serious and cause permanent damage.
        That being said, the best course of action is to avoid getting bit in the first place. I know that the chances can be greatly diminished with safe handling techniques and the right equipment. I do not recommend that someone tackle the job of grooming cats without some training specific to cat grooming.

That's great you are considering the school in SC. In the meantime, get the Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia and maybe a couple of the DVDs (I recommend Here Kitty Kitty first and then Cat With a Mat 2nd). That will get you started on the path to education. Since those items are all part of the curriculum, you will be able to deduct the cost of them from the total tuition amount when you do enroll at the school.

There are many cats out there needing to be groomed (more than dogs really - at least in the US) and very few groomers willing AND able to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by catgroomer View Post
          In the meantime, get the Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia and maybe a couple of the DVDs (I recommend Here Kitty Kitty first and then Cat With a Mat 2nd). That will get you started on the path to education. Since those items are all part of the curriculum, you will be able to deduct the cost of them from the total tuition amount when you do enroll at the school.
          Hi there, just wondering if any of this stuff is going to be available at Canada Grooms this June?

Comment

Yes indeed! A limited supply, but it will be there.

I just learned they are repeating my Saturday class because the first one filled. I am also performing some live cat groom demos on Sunday and Monday that, I believe, are on the main stage for all attendees to see. I will be grooming cats I have never met or seen at all - not my own cats. Whenever I have a new, borrowed demo cat, it always proves to be rather entertaining. It's worth coming just for that value alone.

Comment

Awesome, I would really like to purchase some.. I'll be at your Cat Seminar on Saturday so hopefully I can pick some stuff up. Can't wait to see someone who knows what they're doing groom a cat!

Originally posted by catgroomer View Post
              Yes indeed! A limited supply, but it will be there.

I just learned they are repeating my Saturday class because the first one filled. I am also performing some live cat groom demos on Sunday and Monday that, I believe, are on the main stage for all attendees to see. I will be grooming cats I have never met or seen at all - not my own cats. Whenever I have a new, borrowed demo cat, it always proves to be rather entertaining. It's worth coming just for that value alone.

Comment

Here's my advice. Groom indoor cats only. That will seriously cut down on risks.

Comment

Working...
                X