No announcement yet.

Lion cuts on cats where are the lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion cuts on cats where are the lines?

OK, 1st all I can officially say that I understand why 95% of groomers do not do cats or don not like to do them! I am in admiration for the ones that do or have pity on them because they could be a little off. LOL
    I will start with my questions 1st so you don't have to listen to my ramble if you don't want to. LOL Of the 3 lion cuts I have done so far everyone liked them but I am not sure where exactly you are supposed to stop shaving down on the legs & if the leg hair is very thick where you stop shaving do you trim it a little so it isn't quite so fluffy, same with where the head stops, which is what I did. They all wanted the shave to start from right after the head so that is where my line was there, I know other people like it farther back. I need a good picture of where exactly the legs get shaved to? The 3 cats I did wanted to lay down the whole time & that is a lot of how the pictures on the net shows them so I can't tell where the line should be. I used a 10 with the grain on the first one, looked not smooth at all, the next 2 a 10 in reverse which looked very pretty & smooth. The one cat I did in a 10 reverse was almost a white light beige color so it seemed to short looking, what blade would you use one a light color like that? Do you bath all of the cats? Do you muzzle while bathing, wear thick gloves or what? I am very stubborn & refuse to give this up quite yet so need tips for lines & safety here. I also better by the cat grooming book I saw on here. Are there any good cat grooming DVD's out there? I need so good lion cut pics if anyone has any to share here are my 2 although they are nothing to brag about & none of them would stand to save their lives so they look very bad, just trying to show you where I had my lines. Thanks for any & all help.

I got talked into grooming a few cats so far & with my DH everything went fine. I had a call the other day to do a lion cut & I explained I am a new groomer, never did a lion cut...she said that is fine do what I can just do not hurt her cat. The whole process went great. So a couple days later I have a person call that I had told I would groom both of their cats free one time each in a lion cut for practice. They had had the lion cut many times been to the groomer many times so should be very good. I rough cut one in because that hair was so long then went for the bath. Holy Cow once the water hit the cat went crazy & mean Crazy! DH threw a towel around him to get him out of the tub but had no luck so me & my bright ideas, thinking we can't just leave him there reach in to attempt to scuff him. Well he bit my & would not leg go for nothing!!! I didn't want to pull me hand back because then it would have torn & been worse. I scream he won't let go...DH spays him with water in the face which didn't work & then popped him on the head with the hose nozzle, he finally let go. Man that stuff hurt's as I am sure you all know. So I refused to send him home half finished still much to my husbands dismay. So we got him dry, muzzled him & the groom actually turned out very nice. We did groom the other cat after that but no bath included in that one & muzzled the whole time. Thanks for any & all help! Terri the wanna be groomer still...
    Attached Files

When I bathe a cat I set the tub up first. I take a container and mix the shampoo in with warm water, then put the cat in the tub and SLOWLY pour small amounts of shampoo solution over the cat and massage it into the coat. I do not pre-wet the cat prior to putting the shampoo solution on. I have found 99% of the cats I bathe accept this method with little more than loud meowing at worst.

I do the face with a damp cloth. I don't muzzle, wear gloves or restrain the kitty

I take the nozzle off the hose to rinse the cat to make it quieter. I let the water run in the tub for a short while if the cat seems apprehensive about it. Once again, very few cats panic when being rinsed this way.

I now cage dry cats for the most part. A lot of the cats seem to get very stressed over the drying and do better with being toweled within an inch of their lives and put into a breezy environment until reasonably dry. If you clip before the bath they dry pretty quickly because they are so short.

The lines on a lion cut can vary from shop to shop. On the legs I take the line down to the top of the hocks in the rear and to a matching height in the front - probably about four inches up the leg on most cats - sort of like a Miami cut on a Poodle, sans the clipped feet.

I usually do a #10 with the grain, but if they look choppy I might switch to a #15 with the grain and do them again after the bath. I will do some #10 in reverse. I like the way it looks but some owners aren't fond of how close that gets it.

I have found our customers prefer a short mane more on the order of what you would put on a "Puss'n'Boots" cut. So I typically take the mane up fairly tight to the back of the head. I have yet to field a complaint about the mane being too short, but routinely had the cat sent back for more work if I left it longer.

Also, we have a percentage of owners who do not want a lion tail so check with the owners to see if they want the tail clipped or left alone.

You might also want to check out doing long-haired cats in reverse with a snap-on comb. They look like a freshly plowed field when you first do them but it smooths out and looks fabulous a few days down the road.

Comment

Go online to the NCGA

The national cat groomers association has the best DVDs out there. Danelle German puts them out and they are well worth watching. She does the lion cut and lion cuts on matted cats. I think you can find there web site through this site.

Comment

Oh my gosh Terri! You go girl!! Your braver than I am!! I've helped with 2 cat grooms, I don't believe I will be doing it by myself anytime soon. LOL I love your story and I hope your finger doesn't get infected, be careful about that! Talk to you soon ;-)

Oh yeah, I would have to bought a DVD for you from Danelle German while I was in Atlanta if I knew you needed it. You should have called me.

Take Care =)
        "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

well i always thought the lion cut started somewhere around the collar area of the cat (where a collar kinda naturally sits on the neck). i dont do my own cats like you do dogs you start at the occiput area (i think) right at teh back of the head. it looked too funny on my one cat lol. as far as legs go...i stop at the top of the elbow area and just leave the legs alone.
          thats my opionin on it.
          but your kittys look darn tootin good!
          Hound

Comment

1st DVD's for newbie's

Thanks for the help, I will be buying at least a couple DVD's which one's are the 2 you think a beginner should buy 1st? I also want the encyclopedia but this isn't all cheap ya know LOL got to start somewhere. Eileen Mike helped me with it, I think I would always need help, at least for a long time, you have to stretch them & all that while grooming so an extra set of hands for a newbie is wonderful. I think my hand is going to be just fine, looks & feels much better. I decided not to give up either, I had told her I would groom her cats but not bathe them anymore. Well, I have been thinking about it, ya got to live & learn & keep right? I am going to call he back & tell her I will bathe them & groom them. I am hoping by the next time I get the cat, I will have learned a few new tricks on how to better handle the situation. Terri

Comment

Cats are tricky and because they tend to be unpredictable you never really know what they are going to do next. From what I have seen, most of the cats i do tend to be good on the table and crazy in the bath, or goof in the bath and crazy on the table. It's a really good idea to have someone to help hold legs and the head and scruff the body during the grooming because most cats will not enjoy most parts of the grooming process...

Another thing is the tools you use are different because their skin is different then dogs, their spine is different then dogs and their hair is different than dogs, but luckily there are plenty of cat friendly products out there.

One thing I am going to recommend is to clip their nails FIRST thing! Those things can do major damage (see picture below...which is from the back claws of a half way sedated cat, over a month later and I still bare the scars)

Another thing, do not show fear, especially when getting them out of their carrier, they will strike.

I took a class of Danelle German's and she showed us some amazing tips, she groomed a cat in front of us. The cat was insane, basically, she held the cat between her legs to cut its nails, she had it bent in so many ways, and as she explained, cats are very bendable because of their spines, so most of the things you are able to do to them would be animal cruelty if you were to do it to a dog!!!...

She also said that with cats, you need to be extremely patient and take your time, if you own a cat you know that they tend to get scared by loud noises and quick movements, use that for grooming them.
              Attached Files

Comment

cat tools

Double dog dare, I did exactly as you said with a plastic pitture from the house, pouring the water over a wild cat in the bath & he was fine the whole rest of the time, worked perfect, thank you. I also wiped the face as you said, didn't have gloves, didn't need them but have some gloves now & a small wire cage in case they won't tolerate the dryer at all. Plush Pups, I do definitely cut the nails short 1st thing, never wanted to take any chances but I am sure they can still cut ya. You say different tools, like what special tools are you referring to? I have been using all of my regular dog grooming tools on them. Thanks, this is getting better.....Don't ask my husbands opinion, he is my helper, just take my word for it, I am not giving up & we are slowly learning the tricks to make it easier on all of us. Terri

Comment

nice groom

I adore the natural look of the second picture. It looks more like a lion than any other cat groom I've seen.

Comment

No one does a lion clip the same way. I start much further back, because if you look at a lion, that's where their mane goes to. I start right behind where the legs are. I think it looks really cute and it's easier on me and the cat. Then the legs need no blending though I do scissor them.
                    Attached Files
                    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

DDD, I cannot wait to try your technique.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Here is where I usually set the lines on my lion clips. This is before the bath so pardon the choppiness, forgot to take a pic after. It was a short hair to start with.
                        Attached Files
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Lion cuts

Mylady, I see exactly what you mean by those pics. The real lions mane goes way back. So far, people have wanted them cut much farther up for easier up keep? Anyway, thanks for sharing everyone, as always, I learn so much here. Smart & Pretty, do try the DDD technique it worked Perfect for me & I had a few wild ones that were mellow as can be once I switched to this method. Sometimes the simplest things that you just don't think of can make a big difference. Terri

Comment

I've done a lot of lion cuts, but first let me say, a lot of times I convince people to skip the mane. If you're gonna shave the cat, shave the cat! So often I end up putting cute little round heads on cats. #10 or #7 reverse body to behind ears, then blend with a 3/4 blade and #4 in reverse then with grain, then thinning shear around the head.

I've had many clients who start out requesting lion cut, then when I explain there are other options they will much prefer the all over clip! It's like they thought the lion cut was the ONLY way!

That said, if still lion clip - look at the cat and the hair and the natural flow of the mane. Picture a lion in your head, and try setting the line around the neck & chest. Keep in mind it's easy to remove more hair.

Also, I like the picture of the 2nd cat - the gold/orange one. But..unless someone requests I leave the legs I blend them out. #10 or #7 in reverse part way down, then #7 with grain, and then #5 with grain, then scissor feet to tidy. Blend with thinners. The only time I don't bother doing this is if client wants hairy legs or if the cat is too hard to manage.

Comment

longer cat hair transition to shaved

See the only reason I think the cat in the second pic looks so nice is because it didn't have real long hair like some of the cats do so it blended in so easily. The ones with the real long hair then going to the shave is a little hard for me to blend & make a smooth looking transition. arlaede I will have to give your way a shot. Thanks, Terri

Comment

Working...
                              X