Cat Groomers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Groomers...

Would you charge the same amount for a cat shavedown as you do a Shih Tzu puppy cut? I know we can't tell actual prices but I have a man with a Shih Tzu and a long hair cat that he wants shaved for the summer (indoor cat!) He called yesterday and said last year the "gal" shaved it for as much as she charged to do a puppy cut on his Shih Tzu. I don't do cats often so of course my price is much higher.

I don't do very many either, I'm starting to get more recently though. For a shave down I charge about $20 more than I would for a shih tzu. The fact that he wants the cat shaved for the summer makes it sound like a OAY to me, that would be an additional fee depending on how badly matted the cat is. When I get a price shopper, especially if I get a red flag like that, I always add that the cost is higher if the coat is very matted.

Comment

I charge more for cats. Sometimes I charge less if the cat is very good and easy to do, meaning like an easy dog groom. If it is matted, for sure it is more, even before you know how good it is.

Comment

Personally, I would charge more than a shih tzu. I keep raising the price on cats and they keep coming. I wish they would stop! LOL!
        My cat shavedowns are about the same price as....a large cocker.
        Deanne

Comment

and it SHOULD BE!! cats are much more dangerous (imho) and many groomers won't even do them. When your heart is pounding while grooming a cat, decide the final price!

Comment

O.o

I think I'd charge higher for a cat shavedown than I would a Shih Tzu puppy cut. Generally cats are quite a bit less co-operative than dogs, though I've seen it go both ways. Definitley higher for the cat though *Nods*

Comment

If I am shaving a cat without a bath, I charge the same as a Shih puppy cut, unless it is matted pretty tight...ie, pelted (then, I would probably charge the bath included price). If they want a bath, blowdry, brushing and lion clip or clipped to 1/2" or whatever, it is $20 more (for a non-matted cat). Other groomers will charge a lot more, but I am pretty fast at cats.

Comment

My starting price for a cat in good shape is the same as my starting price for a Shih-tzu in good shape. I add on charges according to how the kitty acts and how long it takes me, but I do the same for dogs.

I can usually do a cat quicker than most dogs, but then again I am one of the freaky groomers that actually likes grooming kitties....lol
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thanks guys. You have all answered my ? I just wanted to see if I was way off with my pricing. I hate it when people question the pricing like I am trying to rip them off....

Comment

My cat price starts high even though I enjoy grooming cats. If someone questions my price I tell them that cats are potentially very dangerous and many groomers don't do them, that's why the price is higher. I happen to be very comfortable grooming them but I don't see why I should charge less.

Comment

Our cat shavedown price is almost double our shihtzu shave price!
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

More! More! More!

I charge more for a cat than I do for a golden, lab or shepphard! I figgure it is a special ability and we should get paid for it. Plus, I figure, if I can get a cat done in 1/2 hour or less that makes up for my 2 1/2 hour goldens!! It all washes out in the end and last week I did 11 cats so it must not piss of my clients too much!!

Comment

I could almost do 2 shih-tzu's for the price of one cat. I charge about as much for a cat as I do for a golden shave.

Comment

cats ahhhhh!

i did my first cat shave today! i was sooo scared. they didnt want a bath thank god! just a lion cut. i have a question tho... how do you get them nice and smooth? and how do you shave the belly-armpits and between the rear legs with out anybody to help you? it cam out pretty choppy even tho i used a 10 blade on it.

Comment

IMO, cats should be MUCH more expensive. They are much more dangerous & most groomers won't touch them.

Our cat bath price (bath, brush, nails only) is mid-level Shih Tzu price.
                              Shaving or trimming a cat is 1.5 times a Shih Tzu.

A few people have complained about the price, and I tell them to go to their vet if they don't like it. All of our local vets put all cats under for grooming (even if they're well behaved), so the bill is $200+. Bottom line is that I'm not getting scratched up and/or bitten for less $!

Comment

Working...
                              X