Question about shaving cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about shaving cats

I don't groom cats and never have so I don't have any experience with how a cat coat grows back. In dogs we know that there are circumstances where a coat may not grow back the same if it shaved (i.e terrier coats coming back softer, double coats not growing back evenly). I was just wondering if anything similiar happens when some cats get shaved down.

Thanks for the responses. I had a customer ask me if shaving can ruin a cat's coat and I didn't know the answer. I know there are some cat experts on here that will know the answer.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

I heard Danelle German talk about this on one of her videos....she said that shaving down does not change the texture or grow back pattern of a cat. She did mention that every now and then, a cat will grow back 'funny' (the gaurd or awn hairs grow much faster than the undercoat), but if you 'reshave' it, the next growth should be normal again. Go figure. Cats sure are different from dogs!!

Comment

I have seen where if there is an interruption in the shedding process, when the hair grows back, it may matt up easier, because of not being able to start the shedding process before clipping. It is like when it does start to shed it will do it all at once, not giving time for normal shedding and brushing.

Comment

I've been grooming (and shaving) cats for 11 years. I HATE shaving double coated dogs and see the difference in them, but can honestly say I've not seen the same thing with cats. That doesn't make it so, but IMHO it's not as bad as shaving say a golden retriever or a lab. (Side note...venting...if someone wants a short hair cat why didn't they get one???? LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post
          (Side note...venting...if someone wants a short hair cat why didn't they get one???? LOL)
          Haha some of my clients get a lion cut on their short haired cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Erks View Post
            Haha some of my clients get a lion cut on their short haired cats.
            Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what a short hair cat looks like shaved!

Comment

I personally love the look of a shaved cat. Many times after shaving a cat the owners tell me that their kitty will come out and socialize more. I contribute it to the fact that now the cat can move around without all those mats pinching them. As far as we do people get a long hair cat and then shave it; well why do people get a long haired dog and then shave it? They can't manage that much hair.

Comment

There are a few reasons the coat might change...

I can't compare to dogs since my experience is limited to cats, but I can attest there is a possibility of a cat's coat changing after being shaved. Some medical conditions such as diabetes or hyperthyroid disease can affect the coat's regrowth. It may grow back patchy and thin in areas or have sparse guard hairs and minimal fuzzy undercoat weeks or even months after grooming. It's so strange to see and always a red flag that the cat needs medical attention asap.

I've also seen the coat grow back darker or lighter. One black cat I shave grows back with a smoky gray color. I groom 3 different Seal Point Himalayans whose coats grow back very dark. I've attached a few pics of Dutchess. She doesn't like to sit still so the pics aren't great, but this is what her coat looks like since we've started shaving her.

I have a couple of shorthair cats that get the Lion Clip, too. I'll try to attach pics of Bailey, a very obese diluted calico. The owner's children have allergies and shaving & bathing helps a lot. I applaud anyone who wants to find a solution to allergy suffering that doesn't involve re-homing the cat. But that's another soapbox I don't need to stand on right now. Shavedowns are very beneficial for cats that are obsessive about auto-grooming which can lead to baldness and definitely hairballs.

I always warn my clients that a change in color and growth is possible. Considering all the Lion Clips I do regularly, the percentage is pretty small, but the possibility is there. I've had lots and lots of clients tell me their cats are happier and more playful when their coat is short. I saw it firsthand with my own DLH, Baby Kitty. She was a nightmare for nail trims, but loved being shaved. It put quite the spunk in her step for sure.

Hope this helps!

~ Stacey

ggrrr.... couldn't get the pics to upload here. Would get them almost there, then a big red exclamation point came up. So I uploaded them to my egroomer page instead. http://affiliate.kickapps.com/servic...tion?as=133537 and the cat grooming group there http://affiliate.kickapps.com/view/d...7013&as=133537. Hope they post there soon.

Comment

My pics are still pending at egroomer. Hope they post soon.

Comment

I have shaved quite a few cats and their coats have all grown back just fine EXCEPT for one big boy. And he is diabetic. He had a lush, thick gorgeous red coat and fluffy tail before the first Lion Trim. Now it is rather thin and scruffy looking. The tail is a pathetic puny little thing.

Comment

[QUOTE=arlaede;394969 (Side note...venting...if someone wants a short hair cat why didn't they get one???? LOL)[/QUOTE]

I used to think that way. like the people that have a poodle but dont want the dog to look like a poodle. now I realize, its just hair. hopefully they chose the breed because of its temperment, personality, intelligence, and not because of the coat. if that were true, theyed be kept in much better condition. cat breeds have specific traits also, so maybe they chose the persian for its cuddly personality not the long flowing coat. I'm greatful that most people know their limitations, they know they wont keep on the combing so its best for everyone to keep a shorter, more managable coat. along with that. do you have your hair cut regularly? do you ever change your hair style?

Comment

pics are posted

My pics are finally posted on egroomer. There are 4 of Dutchess, a Seal Point Himalayan, pre and post shaved. And 2 of Bailey, a Shorthair Diluted Calico, also pre and post shaved.

As I approach my 10th year of grooming kitties I realize now more than ever my opinions and judgments have changed drastically since I first started. I know it's not worth the stress trying to figure out other people's motives, but I used to ask the same questions.

'Why have a longhair cat if you're going to shave all the fur off?' Answer: Unexpected excessive shedding, hairball issues, allergies, easy upkeep, and lots more.
                        'Why have a longhair cat if you're not going to comb it?' Answer: The cat is uncooperative & aggressive for combing, the owners have other pressing obligations and rely on my service exclusively for coat maintenance, the owners had the same breed before but the new cat's coat is much more difficult to work with (happens a lot with Persians and Himalayans because there can be a lot of variation in coat types), the owner is hesitant about home grooming and the cat senses this which makes the entire process stressful, and lots more.
                        'Why do you ask for my professional opinion if you don't care to listen to my advice?' Answer: Some people just like to hear themselves talk, an easy solution often isn't my best recommendation and the owners don't want or can't handle more responsibilities, and lots more.
                        'Why spend $500+ on a purebreed and then feed it ****?' Answer: Okay, I still don't and never will get this one. Whether the cat is an expensive breed or a rescued stray mix, one of the leading causes of health issues is poor nutrition. We have so many good choices now, there's no solid reason not to feed our pets well. It can be a wasted effort trying to convince owners, but worth a try nonetheless.

Sometimes dealing with clients can be like talking to a brick wall. We just have to remain professional and remind ourselves that everyone is fighting some kind of battle. A lot of people really do try their best. If we're too judgmental we risk losing them as clients. If we're respectful and patient we might actually get through to them, if not today then at some point in the future. The truth is people have lots of reasons for their decisions. It's not up to me to judge, but rather to provide a much-needed service. I can either allow it to drive me nuts (not a long journey, mind you) or I can offer my best professional service, educate clients whenever possible, and love their cats.

Sorry for the ramble. What was I saying about people liking to hear themselves talk?? hee hee

~Stacey

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what a short hair cat looks like shaved!
                          They look great, as a matter of fact. I did one the other day and he really looked spiffy when he was done. And he knew it, too!

Owners tell me their cats all seem to preen and show off after they are groomed. They seem to like it immensely.

Cats don't seem to get coat crud after being shaved down like double-coated dogs do. The ones I do all seem to grow back just fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X