Weird cat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird cat question

I groomed my first cat today,hes a fat guy and cant clean himself well and has the worst flaky skin Ive ever seen on an animal anyhow i swear swear swear this cat expressed his annals while I shaved his neather regions do cats do that? also he peed on his person in the car. Also I had no help at all so I had to do it by myself so there was noone to ask.Just had to ask someone who might know Im dont know that much about cats .

Yep, cats can do that if they get upset. As I understand it cats don't generally have the problem with anal glands that dogs do. They are pretty adapt at expressing them on their own. Oddly enough, one of my own kitties has to have her glands expressed manually.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Yes, cats can express their glands.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
        I groomed my first cat today,hes a fat guy and cant clean himself well and has the worst flaky skin Ive ever seen on an animal anyhow i swear swear swear this cat expressed his annals while I shaved his neather regions do cats do that? also he peed on his person in the car. Also I had no help at all so I had to do it by myself so there was noone to ask.Just had to ask someone who might know Im dont know that much about cats .
        >>>

Cats pee when they are scared. I put them on grates when they are in crates so the pee goes through, and they don't have to sit in it.(and I don't have to wash them again).

I've also notce that they tend to pee in the tub if you was their genital area with cooler water (not cold!) Since this is a good place to pee, I tend to do this when they first get into the tub, to encourage them to empty their bladders so they won't pee later.

I use Les Pooch F&T degreaser and Les Pooches Hypoallergetic shampoos tocombat the grease and flakey skin.

I've had a couple of cats squirt their anal glands at me. Just be careful when you lift their tail, thy can squirt it surprising distances.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
          I've had a couple of cats squirt their anal glands at me. Just be careful when you lift their tail, thy can squirt it surprising distances.
          I watched, with my very own eyes, a vet expressing the anal glands on a cat. They nailed another vet who was walking past at 5 feet away!!! It was soooo funny! Of course the other vet didn't find it so funny. That smell NEVER comes out. She had to change her clothes.
          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

The cat has flaky skin from not being bathed regularly (or with the right shampoos). He needs to be scrubbed with a good degreasing shampoo (LP F&T is the best around, imo).

And yes, as others have stated, cats will express their anal glands. THey do this when they are stimulated in the anal area (i.e. from shaving the butt or from scrubbing them during a bath) or when they get ticked off. I did a seminar this past spring called "how to be glamorous with anal glands in your hair" because I know exactly what it's like to spend my day WITH ANAL GLANDS IN MY HAIR! Such a lovely smell. Trust me, you only let them squirt you one time in the face before you learn to be very careful as to where you position yourself when lifting the tail.

The Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia has a whole chapter on holds for cats that will allow you to do all manner of grooming elements on them. Also the DVD series shows handling techniques - performed live on different cats with different temperaments and grooming needs. In the dvds I do all grooming solo - well, I think I do have someone hold a leg on one cat in one of them, if I remember correctly. But the rest is all done solo.
            www.nationalcatgroomers.com

Comment

Originally posted by catgroomer View Post

The Ultimate Cat Groomer Encyclopedia has a whole chapter on holds for cats that will allow you to do all manner of grooming elements on them. Also the DVD series shows handling techniques - performed live on different cats with different temperaments and grooming needs. In the dvds I do all grooming solo - well, I think I do have someone hold a leg on one cat in one of them, if I remember correctly. But the rest is all done solo.
              www.nationalcatgroomers.com
              >>>>

Yah! Danelle is the one to ask all these questions too, everything I learned about grooming I learned from Danelle, most of it on this board or at seminars. I'm signing up for her cat grooming seminars in the spring, and I am excited about the cat grooming encyclopedia.

Comment

fat cat

Cats sometimes will do this , they will poop on the table and also pee, i think it is just a cat thing, you just clean it up and get on with business, make sure that his bottom is shaved and cleaned, so it will be easier for him to clean himself or for his person to do it for him. I always shave the tummy and the bottom to clear all of the matts that hang around there.

Comment

Working...
                X