A New Cat Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Cat Client

Ally is the first cat I've agreed to groom in my new Salon (besides my own). She was so good. I know I have the noose restraint on her - it was just for the pic and it wasn't locked. I originally planned not to groom cats this time around, but am glad I changed my mind. These pics are just her after pics - she was long haired and full of mats. I hope I clipped her pretty similar to how most of you all would clip a cat full of mats. I know she felt better in her new hair cut. Just thought I'd share her pics. Let me know what you think!
    Attached Files

Cat

Oh she looks great! You did a very nice job and her coloring looks so nice with her no short-do!!!! I bet she does feel a lot better.

Don't you just love doing a really nice cat? Its so satisfying!!!

Great job!

Comment

I think that you did a great job! I don't do cats myself yet, but hope to one day! Well, actually I bathe, and clip nails, but don't trim yet. I am excited, but also nervous to learn because they are definitely different than dogs!
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

So glad she looks good to ya'll too. I was afraid maybe I clipped her too short, but her mats were so thick and close to her skin. I was so afraid too that I might nick her tender skin under all the yucky hair, but no nicks...thank goodness!! It helped so much, that she was such a sweetheart. And it is definitely so gratifying like you said Luvkitties. I can't wait to have her in the shop again! I have to admit I was a little nervous too Lauren. Especially when I saw all the mats, I knew I was going to have to take her pretty short. My first cat in the Salon couldn't have been a better one, she was a joy to groom! I think you would've enjoyed grooming her too.

Comment

Cat looks nice. I also did my first cat groom today... in VA at least. Its a good day for cats.

Comment

That cat looks a lot like a cat I groomed in the "check out my grooms" forum. I groom them the same way. Pumpking head on a stick, little boots, tail is either shaved except a "poof," or not shaved.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

She looks great!

You did an awesome job! I'm so happy you shared this story with us. Cat grooming can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes for many more happy cats!

Stacey

P.S. I did notice her whiskers seemed very even. Did you trim them?

Comment

She looks good! Only thing I would have done differently, and then again I dont know what the condition of her coat was before, was I would have left more around the mane area. But of course if it was matted up, you couldnt have done it. It looks like a cute teaddy bear cut though!!! Good job;]

Comment

Originally posted by seleste View Post
                  You did an awesome job! I'm so happy you shared this story with us. Cat grooming can be extremely rewarding. Best wishes for many more happy cats!

Stacey

P.S. I did notice her whiskers seemed very even. Did you trim them?
                  You got good eyes Stacey! I am sure it is a no no to even the whiskers, but I accidently hit the whisker with the clipper and zipped a couple of them shorter than the others, so I just evened them all. It wasn't on purpose and next time I'll know to be more careful with the long ole things. Hope I didn't traumatize her by snipping them. Now i"m going to worry about it.

For snowflake...How much longer around her mane would you have left it? Like not shaving so close behind her ears - do you not shave the neck either? Please feel free to tell me, becuase I hadn't shaved a cat in a LONG time especially for someone else. I felt like I was doing it for the 1st time! She was really matted around her collar area, but I maybe could have left it a bit longer- is it the proper thing to do? Her owner's going to be bringing her in every 3 months, so I'll need to know for the next time anyway. I wanna do what's best for kitty! So all suggestions and critique's are welcomed.

Comment

She looks great and her natural coat colors work well for this length! Good job! Your groom looks like most that leave here, without a mane. Some people want a mane left and some do not, so I always ask.

If they do want a mane, the neck is still shaved, it's just that pouf of hair all around the neck which grows longer anyway - maybe 1-2" past what you left. If the cat is well behaved, I will sometimes trim the mane round too, but I'm not wild on using scissors anywhere near a cat, so ONLY if I am confident it will be still.

Comment

Originally posted by SiotehCat View Post
                      Cat looks nice. I also did my first cat groom today... in VA at least. Its a good day for cats.
                      Hi SiotehCat!! It must have been a good day for cats - glad your kitty groom went well too. Great to see another Virginian on here. I have a cousin that lives in Alexandria...Isn't this weather fabulous! I am so ready for Spring.

Comment

The other poster here is right. There are three different cuts that I use on kitties, and I ask the client if they want a lion cut, bobcat cut or a teddy bear cut. I dont EVER shave down the legs unless specifically asked to, but noone has asked yet, because it is my shops policy that we do NOT shave the legs, and Im not comfortable with that anyways.

I explain a lion cut as the body shaved with either the tail left or a pom at the end, and a mane around the neck. For the mane, I just look at the cats natural coat, and will shave up the neck to the point where it grows a little longer and is a little fluffier than everywhere else, and then I shave around the neck down to a point on the chest. Kinda like a real lions mane. So that way the mane is round on top, and rounds down to a point on the chest.

The teddy mear cut is when I shave them right up to behind the ears, taking off all the mane and just leaving a fluffy face, like you did to the kitty in the picture.

The bobcat cut is a teddy bear cut but I shave the fur off the chin and back, just leaving little pointed tufts on both sides of the head. Alot of people with longer haird persians like this cut, so when they lick their chest the hair wont get caught in their mouth;]

Ive had clients ask for a

Comment

Working...
                        X