Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a totally bald area under a large mat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there a totally bald area under a large mat?

A Persian I groom had to wear a cone for 2 weeks. A large solid mat formed on the side of the neck. It was not totally snug against the skin, so I could get a small comb under it, yet it was much too solid to comb through. The owner wanted me to try to tease it apart, making little snips with the scissors to loosen it. I tried my best, but even then there was a large completely bald spot where the mat had been. There was even a slight redness in one area where it seems the mat had pulled on the skin.
    Why was the skin bald under the mat? I didn't shave it. It was like the fur had been pulled out.

Because the tight mat pulls the hair constantly, especially as the cat's skin moves while walking/moving. Since cat matting primarily forms closer to the skin (a clump of dead hair entwined with the hairs still attached) versus a tangle (which could be more in the middle/ends of the hairs), if its big and tight enough, it will just pull the hair out underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by lyttleravyn View Post
      Because the tight mat pulls the hair constantly, especially as the cat's skin moves while walking/moving. Since cat matting primarily forms closer to the skin (a clump of dead hair entwined with the hairs still attached) versus a tangle (which could be more in the middle/ends of the hairs), if its big and tight enough, it will just pull the hair out underneath.
      Exactly.

Comment

Great explanation.

Comment

It's called TRACTION ALOPECIA. Excellent explanation above
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
            Ahh. Good to know the official name.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post

Comment

I had no idea it actually had a name ! Good to know when i get cats in that have this .

Comment

I know owners always say this, but this time I am saying it. I combed put the cat the week before and didn't notice neck mats forming. Either mats formed very quickly or I missed thrm. Aargh. Live and learn.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good to know, I have seen this.

Comment

This is classic. The owner seemed to accept that the bare spot was not due to shaving, but this week her assistant told me, "No more shaving." Once again, I explained the reason for the bare area. Then he pointed to the kitty's forearm. Yes, a shaved area . . . where the vet had shaved skin to insert a catheter prior to neutering. I told him that my feelings will not be hurt if they look for another groomer. He changed the subject.
                          Later the owner told me she was very happy with my grooming, and that she'd told her assistant that she wanted me to keep grooming.
                          What I guess is really going on -- the assistant is upset that cat groomers are paid well. It is like people who get an attitude with the plumber or car mechanic. This is my guess. Maybe the owner uses him as the "bad cop", but I think it more likely that he is annoyed. He knows my fees. Another nyc groomer warned me about this. Anyway, he is leaving, so this little drama is over. People be crazy!

Comment

Wow, a drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                              This is classic. The owner seemed to accept that the bare spot was not due to shaving, but this week her assistant told me, "No more shaving." Once again, I explained the reason for the bare area. Then he pointed to the kitty's forearm. Yes, a shaved area . . . where the vet had shaved skin to insert a catheter prior to neutering. I told him that my feelings will not be hurt if they look for another groomer. He changed the subject.
                              Later the owner told me she was very happy with my grooming, and that she'd told her assistant that she wanted me to keep grooming.
                              What I guess is really going on -- the assistant is upset that cat groomers are paid well. It is like people who get an attitude with the plumber or car mechanic. This is my guess. Maybe the owner uses him as the "bad cop", but I think it more likely that he is annoyed. He knows my fees. Another nyc groomer warned me about this. Anyway, he is leaving, so this little drama is over. People be crazy!
                              Wow I had a feeling you were going to say a shave that was part of vet tx.

Comment

Working...
                              X