Pinching fur on kitty neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinching fur on kitty neck

Wow. Mind blown. My arms are a lot weaker than they used to be. Arthritis I guess. But, silver lining. I am forced to work differently. For big wiggly cats, I used to occasionally rely on sheer grip strength, like a rodeo bull rider handing on to the saddle. I am not very big myself, so it's not like I had so much power in my hands, ha ha.
    I tried doing that while bathing my 18 pound girl Lilly. Too weak to do it.
    So instead of using strength, I merely pinched loose skin between my fingers, as if my fingers were a binder clip. I wasn't hanging on or using strength. Miracle. She just stood there, like she wasn't even going to try to get away. Wow.
    Another groomer who used to post here was a firm believer in those plasic clips you can buy. I was scared to try them. But now, I feel like my former method of hanging on was unnecessary. Maybe I could have just held the loose skin between my fingers, slightly pulled up in the air. Jeez!

Interesting Emma.

Comment

Really? Interesting.

Comment

Never knew that.

Comment

Me either.

Comment

I did the same thing yesterday with a cat who is usually wiggly. I lighlty pinched the loose skin between her shoulders, lifted the skin up about an inch, and she settled down. I think I was holding on too tightly in the past. It really is meant to be a delicate technique.

Comment

Please don't do that. if the cat goes limp it's because you've pinched a nerve,
              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I appreciate your concern for cats.
                The cat settled down, as a child settles down while watching a cartoon. The cat's body was not limp. Since I do housecalls, the owners were watching the entire time. If there cat had suddenly gone limp, that would have alarmed them, as well as alarming me, of course. Contrary to your assumption, I am not an idiot or a monster.
                There is no nerve in that area. In fact, a vet at Ohio State developed clips specifically for calming cats, to be used in that area. I would guess he is familiar with the location of nerves. He has a strong interest in reducing stress for cats.
                I know you mean well, but to be accused of hurting a cat is a serious thing and should not be done lightly.

Comment

Working...
                X