shaving cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaving cats

last sat.i had 2 cats come in,from different owners both persians,one the sweet one never been groomed,and was extremely matted especially in the scary areas arm pits,belly,moms been bathing at home and not combing,but he was the perfect angel,then comes the other cat gets groomed quiet a bit by my friend who couldnt take him she was booked so i did him,boy was he awful,matted but not as bad,and he took me alot longer,i told hubby and my friend i wont do this cat anymore,but i know we cant talk prices on here,but just doing those 2 cats,was almost 200,they are great money,but i do love cats,i think thats one of the main requirments,ive done cats no one else can do,but i dont want to do the one persian again,he was beyond naughty,i wish someone would invent a blade just for cats,that was the main problem i always have is blades getting clogged with that fine cat fur,i dont have a clipper vac,i think i would be scared to use one though,im old school all the way

I agree, that fine fur does stick to everything, expecially with the dry weather we've been having. If you don't want to do them, I'll try. Send em my way. Cat owners tell me all the time I taste the best..

Comment

They have invented such a blade it is on a clipper called the Wahl Bravura shaves cats like butter and chows too-glides right through. I love them and the extra plus- the blade never gets hot or even warm. Good for kitties. And super quiet.

Comment

Send them to me, I love doing cats )

Comment

I know when you have been grooming along time without a clippervac it is hard but it makes everything so much easier. I did a thick coated cat tonight and the hair comes right off. It also makes the matted areas much safer because it pulls the matt away from the skin.

Comment

No way! really???? They make a blade for cats? I never knew. I'm ordering some right now! TY TY TY!!!

Comment

Do you use the #10 position in that Wahl Clipper? And why does it do cats better? How? If they really work well on cats I'm going to order some. ASAP

Comment

Another vote for the Wahl Bravura

I've been using the Bravura for a couple of years now and absolutely love it so much I bought another one for back-up. It's very quiet and I'm amazed at how quickly and smoothly it clips. Like any blade, it can get clogged with fur depending on the coat type (but not often). I keep a can of condensed air handy to blow out any trapped fur. And yes, I use it on the 10 setting unless I'm doing paw pads, then I switch it to the 30 position.

I keep going back and forth about getting a clipper vacuum system. Since I've been using the cordless Bravura I hate the thought of having to deal with cords again. When I used my corded Andis AGC Super 2 clipper it worked great, but I had to wrap the cord over my shoulder and sometimes it would still fall and tap the cat which sometimes frightened it. But on the other hand, I would love to not have cat fur everywhere as I'm clipping.

To cut down on the static I love using EQyss Cat Mist Rehydrant Spray. It's wonderful! No heavy oils and a very light scent.

rainingcatsanddogs, by all means if you don't want to groom that cat again, don't. There's no reason to groom an animal you don't want to do. Just keep in mind, this cat may very well come around over time. It may never be as easy as the other one, but it could become a lot more tolerant. Then again, it may always be awful for grooming. It boggles my mind how a groom that should be fairly quick and easy can turn into a marathon while a groom I anticipate taking forever is finished in record time. But that's part of why I love grooming. Every experience is unique!

Stacey

Comment

I use the Bravura on cats also.. Its better because it has torque control it kind of gets extra power when it hits a mat and zips right through them. I use the 10 setting for shaving them..

Comment

well i guess i have to have the wahl bravara,well probably buy it in the spring kinda tapped right now for cash

Comment

The Bravura and the Arco use the same blade. The Arco is very similar, it just doesn't have the torque control. But I use ONLY the Arco on cats and it's wonderful. Very safe & cuts like butter.

Comment

I use a #7 for shave downs on cats or lion cuts the trick is to keep the skin tought and let the blade work its way through without forcing it .one rare occasions I will rough the cat in with a skip toothed blade before the bath.anything shorter than this blade either shreds the skin or skins it.if the animal is extremely wiggly have a helper to hold for you if possible..I dont recommend a clipper vac to be used on any cat with a blade this could pull the hair up and eventually pull the skin folds along with it causing injury before realizing it has happened.I will also at other times use a 5 or a 4 blade for longer shave combs for the longer trims.but never ever less than a 7

Comment

Working...
                        X