Freezing in Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing in Arizona

OK I'm a wimp. It's cold in Az. Very cold for us. I recently heard that shampoo condit etc. can freeze overnight in the van. No good after to use. Also, poor doggie, ooooooh the conditioners toooo coollllllldd. He howls. So if this happens tonite what then? A lot of loss invested in supplies. I don't want to haul the heavy basket of stuff in and out ea. day. I'd probably forget and drive off without. Does it really become useless, is it ok if just very cold but nit iced over? Please respond all you brave mobiles in the snow. I won't drive if it's rainy cuz it gets too slippery in a heavy van. I'm new to computers so bear with me. Bye for now. Oh, I'm 5 days or less old on the board, 61yrs. old and 30 as a groomer. I have no gray hair still brown roots under frosting. I'm usually stiff or ache somewhere but still groomin.Hi Pam J. Until you have loved a dog and known it's love for you, a part of your soul remains unawakened. My favorite quote.

Do you have a heater to run in your van for overnight? I run a ceramic heater in my trailer. I put it in the back with the mechanicals, but my shampoo etc is in the front. With it on high on really cold nites it will keep the front of my trailer at 45. Cold, but not freezing.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

No good anymore??????? OH NO... no way, really? My pipes in my house froze night before last and broke...I'm in San Diego. How do u keep the lines from freezing in the vans? I'm afraid I'll go out this morning and not be able to use water. What do u people do in the snow/freezing temps? HELP us warm weather groomers.

Comment

Electricity? At night? I have to plug in no generator/invertor... AAAGGHHH

Comment

Welcome

Hi fellow Arizonian! Where in AZ are ya?? We're from Willcox (East of Tucson) and have TONS of relatives all over AZ(Mexico and N.M. too). We go back often to visit - Now we're in Virginia. We talked to the family last night, can't believe it's actually colder there than here!! CRAZY!!!!! Welcome to the board, it's addicting so consider yourself warned....Ok, so about the shampoo...Well I'm not mobile, but I have a storage room that is not heated and I store lots of supplies in there including shampoo. But the shampoo has never froze, just got iceburg cold! I don't think it's ever affected it, at least not that I've noticed. I'd imagine all the other mobile groomer's face the same problem - so hopefully they can give you some tips....Stay warm! Try to enjoy the cool weather while you have it, you know how fast it turns HOT there and how long it stays. Hope to see more of ya on the board!

Comment

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
            Electricity? At night? I have to plug in no generator/invertor... AAAGGHHH
            If you can run electricity from your house to your van, then put a ceramic heater inside and run it. They are safe. I use one every night below 40 to keep things toasty.

Comment

I should have read the instructions!

Why would I need to know how the "winterization system" works? I live in Phoenix, right? WRONG! I got to my first appt at a leisurely 11 AM and my pipes were FROZEN! Dog in the tub and everything.

I was SO embarrassed! She was very understanding as I apologized profusely and rescheduled for early tomorrow morning. In the 4 years that I have been working mobile, it's never happened to me or any of my mobile groomer friends.
              They had to run their dryers and furnace systems anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes to thaw the systems out. Mine still isn't after 20 minutes. Sure hope nothing is broken!

Wag'n Tails advised making sure that my fresh water was full, my gray tank empty, (which it was) plugging in to my home tonight and running a ceramic heater, and/or the furnace along with the winterization system for tonight. I'm not sure who I spoke with, but he was concerned about the propane heater being adversely affected. I don't know how you cold-weather mobiles do it.

Now, where did I file that paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
                No good anymore??????? OH NO... no way, really? My pipes in my house froze night before last and broke...I'm in San Diego. How do u keep the lines from freezing in the vans? I'm afraid I'll go out this morning and not be able to use water. What do u people do in the snow/freezing temps? HELP us warm weather groomers.
                Try heat tape for pipes, you can get it at Lowes or home depot. We use it in our rv when we go up to the mountains to ski, Works great.
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

I have experienced problems after certain products froze. When I had a boat, I kept a small, ceramic heater in it on cold nights as Diamie suggested.

Comment

Hi Ming Toy...

I think that if the shampoo freezes, some will seperate, if you can't shake it back together, then I would throw it out. Some shampoos are heat or cold sensative...really just depend on your ingredients. (Anyone seen Barb Bird's stuff on Beyond Suds and Scents) But I'm not sure if she covers this part of copld or heat. I know that too hot, and your shampoos can expand and seperate. If you have mixed product it will be more sensative to cold (the H2O can freeze)

Like others...I have a heater in the rig...keeping things above freezing...it was 19 on Sunday morning, and 21 this morning when I started her up! I let her run for 30 minutes before pulling out, best to let a Diesel warm up, espicially and old one. That way my back heater is blowing hot air, and my HW tank is in full go to stay hot through the day.

Yep, inverter, so she gets plugged in at night anyway.

Comment

I have an Elite so I have two ceramic heaters, one in the back where the pipes are and one in the grooming area where the shampoo is.
                      I also plug it in each night and have it in an insulated garage. That keeps it pretty toasty. Also make sure you have heat tape or another heater where you take your water from. I get my water out of the garage and have had those pipes freeze on me.

Comment

I began mobile in while in Virginia, and now I am in Gilbert, AZ. This weather is NUTS! I have not had any problems with my products freezing, and I can't plug in because my trailers spends the night in a storage facility and not at my home. Keep in mind, even this rediculous cold won't last forever. If you have to tote it in and out, just do it. Keep the basket where you won't forget it, like in front of the door...believe me, I am as forgetful as they come I have been using straight hot water first appt. in the am and laying my bottles of ear cleaner in the tub so they warm up. Also, I have a Bathing Beauty, so the shampoo is never put directly on the dog, it is first mixed in the hot water that is in the tub.

Comment

YOu must be puppy paws. I'm in Mesa. There are lots of new mobiles out here see new vans around So. and 60 a lot. See you too. We met inside gate of Leisure World. I don't go to Apache Junction but do Gold Canyon for one family. Hate the distance. I have the hydro surge but the conditioner I do not go thru surge. I mix w/h20 and a cool lav vanila scent spray or pour on. water heater keeps weater hot. I lived in S F never had a prob. it getscold there too. Happy grooming. jb

Comment

Originally posted by TAILSRWAGON View Post
                            I have an Elite so I have two ceramic heaters, one in the back where the pipes are and one in the grooming area where the shampoo is.
                            I also plug it in each night and have it in an insulated garage. That keeps it pretty toasty. Also make sure you have heat tape or another heater where you take your water from. I get my water out of the garage and have had those pipes freeze on me.
                            You gave me an idea. I think I will get another heater for the front of the trailer. That way it is TOASTY! I think that might help dry it out too. I hate all the moisture. Nothing is ever dry.

Comment

Those ceramic heaters work great and nothing could be easier! Well, parking in a heated garage could be easier...but not bloody likely. I have a WNT, and if it is going to be below 50 I plug mine in and turn on a ceramic heater in the grooming area. Why? because i am a wuss and I like the van to be pleasant in the morning and it keeps my shampoos and conditioners from becoming so cold. I only use one heater no matter how cold it is (of course here, it doesn't generally drop below 20 and rarely below 25), i just prop open the laundry chute door and the warm air circulates back there no problem. So this year was the test for us...this week her in central texas me and my friends have not groomed all week. We are in the middle of an "ice storm". OK, you yankees laugh at us but we just aren't equipped to make the roads passable...they don't invest that kind of money in equipment that will be used maybe once a year. But anyway, this year it started on Sunday night and we have been iced in ever since. Temperatures where I am are in the 20s. I have had my heater going and to be honest with you, the inside of my van is the warmest place on my property....and it is just a little bitty heater about 7 inches tall. I went out there today to warm myself up as my home heating unit wasn't turned on high enough. Another thing I have done since running out of propane last summer was to flip my hot water heater to the electric function. What this means is that when I plug my van in, the hot water heater heats the water as well. Therefore, it can't freeze up and in the morning I have hot water right off the bat. I have become overly concerned and obsessed with the thought of propane going up in a ball of flame considering all the dog hair and have decided to stop using it all together. So far I can see no down side to operating this way, and like I said...have been doing so since the summer. In the summer here it is so hot that the water stays hot in the hot water heater overnight unless it dips down really cool for a long time overnight. So starting about the time the temps drop into the 60s and below, I just plug in my van every night. It is so easy.

I would encourage anyone who lives anywhere where it has a chance of going below 32...if even for just a few hours once a year...to get a ceramic heater from walmart...they are like $15...and plug that thing in any night they tell you that temperatures may fall into into the mid to low 30s. How often have you gotten up the next day only to find that the projected temperatures were off? Why risk it when it is so easy to avoid. You can also invest in one of those cheap electric timers so that you can have the heater come on at a certain time and shut off at a certain time so you aren't running it constantly if that bothers you. Just be sure to practice common sense and put the heater away from any towels or fabrics that could come into contact with the unit, and vacuum all the hair up so it doesn't get sucked in the heater.

Comment

Working...
                              X