No announcement yet.

Am I to old to learn grooming and actually be able to get hired out of training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I to old to learn grooming and actually be able to get hired out of training

HI I am an adult male will be turning 64 a young 64 married 28 years no children and never feel my age at all. I was a hair stylist for 19 years got burnt out on it went into health caregiving for a change and do not really like it like I thought I would.
    Im active not an old worn out person at all. I would love to go to school to learn pet grooming but here is a list of my concerns and HONEST REPLIES would be appreciated.

1. Am I to old to do this honestly
    2. Would anyone truthfully want to hire an older man out of school to work for them when they can get a young person and most seem to be woman
    3. What is a normal time frame for training at a good place that will actually teach you how to do more than shave a dog or brush them out as I would love to learn quality work. I do not expect to be a master at the craft but want to do quality work when I get out of a school. I don't mind longer schooling if it produces better results.

Also what part of the country in your opinion besides California or New York has quality schools.

Thank you and any real truthful answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ron

Lol, I can answer two questions honestly. ....rest it is per individual.
    NO, you are not to old to learn.
    Yes, I would hire a retired man rather than a young giggling girl any day of the week, as long as you can follow directions from a woman.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thank you for the reply

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
      Lol, I can answer two questions honestly. ....rest it is per individual.
      NO, you are not to old to learn.
      Yes, I would hire a retired man rather than a young giggling girl any day of the week, as long as you can follow directions from a woman.
      We live in the desert now Arizona hate it here, what would you think is a good part of the country that has not only decent schools but also decent job market for new graduates, and I have no issue taking orders from a woman remember I was a hair stylist for years lol.

thank you
      Ron

Comment

Ron,
        I started school at 55 and will be 61 this Spring. You are NEVER too old to learn if you want it badly enough.
        Live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and was fortunate enough to attend Merryfield. I went before they attained their federal accreditation so paid for it all on my own. Help is available now. Length of time to learn depends on how hard you work. I finished my classroom and practical in a little under 6 months - but there were some still only partially finished after a years time.
        When I was there I was one of the oldest in class, but there were others.
        The instructors are top notch - I couldn't ask for any better.

As for the hiring market - I see a lot of ads but they seem to be repeat ads for the same places. Go figure.

Truthfully, I would look at the northern area of Florida if I could move from where I am. Winter Park / Orlando and north are lower cost of living and better lifestyle.

Just understand in all of this thatghhiscis a physically demanding profession. Even more so than hairdressing. When you start out you will be doing it ALL on your own and that can take a toll. After you get a clientele established and get a bather trained it can become easier.
        You also have the option of going mobile after you get trained and experienced. Then you are entirely tourism boss.

Comment

I would think with your background ( assuming you were a decent hairdresser abs not just a buzz off barber) that you will pick up skills fast.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you were thinking of moving to florida, is Merryfield a grooming school ? I would have to find a place to go to school where I could actually live when done thou I hat moving so does my wife.

Comment

I was not a buzz barber but a cosmetologist hair stylist and won first place in a lot of competition grooming contest.

Comment

You should do just fine. Personal experience. .. most women live a man working on "Fluffy"

Comment

thank you

Comment

Your age will get you taken more seriously and treated with respect over young, 20 somethings. I'm not comfortable hiring a young man to work daily with me but would be OK with older man, people assume their dog either likes or dislikes men, respects or listens better to men. . I find it's a combination of dogs preference, handling style and the lower voice. I have a low voice for a woman and dogs all listen to me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

thank you for replying I appreciate it

Comment

I'd be more than willing to hire an older person or a man, as long as you're ok working for someone younger and would be ok with a uniform. I'd actually prefer if the older groomer was someone new to the professional, as I've interviewed and worked with many 30+ years experience that are very stuck in their ways and are rude when customers or bosses ask for something different. Merryfield is a very good school, probably one of the top. Nash is also good and Paragon, if you put in the effort. Merryfield, as far as I know, is the strictest about only graduating competent people.

Comment

I believe that there is always a demand for male groomers ALL over the U.S. I love knowing that wherever I live, I can always make a living grooming dogs. Many places have groomers, like myself, that would love a mature, stable, strong male groomer to step in and help. Best wishes & follow your heart! Let us know where you land.

Comment

Thank you for answering I will have to look for a school that I can afford I may be mistaken but thought merryfield was like twenty grand out of my range.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie01 View Post
                              Thank you for answering I will have to look for a school that I can afford I may be mistaken but thought merryfield was like twenty grand out of my range.
                              Can't say what they charge today but students attending are eligible for federal funds. Call. Until you ask it's all guesswork - and no one charges for answering questions. GREGG DOCKTOR ( owner) is one of the easiest people in the world to talk to.

Comment

Working...
                              X