I'd like to get into this business but don't know how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to get into this business but don't know how

I've been wanting to be a groomer for awhile now and I was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to go about it. I lost my job last yr and since have worked odd ones. None of which were involving one of my great loves which are animals. So now what better time to change my career path then now when I know the direction I finally want to take. However I must confess I'm at a loss as to how to get into this business. I've read classes are good but honestly I'd love hands on experience too. Does anyone have any ideas for me, I'd love some input so I'm not wasting anymore time not doing what I really want to do.

TIA

Do u have any knowledge of pet grooming? if not i suggest going to a grooming school or reading a grooming book and thouroughly understand the topics brought up in the book. That is what i did. I also learned from groomer to groomer magazine. If you own a dog try practicing on him once you have the basic knowledge. If you mess up hair always grows back. Once you gather the kowledge you can try working with an experienced groomer for a year or two. They will teach you some tricks of the trade and help you improve the finer grooming skills. After you can either continue working for them or go out on your own. If you decide to go out on your own you will need to buy the necessary equipment. Remember: the grooming industry is always coming up with new equipment to help improve and make it easier to groom. Make sure that to start, you buy good equipment but try not to buy unecessary things. hope this helps a bit.

Comment

Check out the classes. They are really hands on. I was only in a classroom for a week in the beginning and the rest was mostly grooming. I would suggest that. Do you have the means to go and time? You did not mention where you live, is there a school close by? Mine was full time and about 3 1/2 months. They did offer a part time night thing. Good luck
      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Right look pets is a grooming school advertised on here that offers fiancing for grooming school and a trailer. You should either start at a school, or get a job bathing first. Then after bathing for a year, ask if they will teach you how to groom,also watch the groomers and what they do,ask questions all the time, read read read everything you can get your hands on about it. Buy the book notes from a grooming table and do the excersizes.

Comment

You have taken the first step already!

Read the groomers' message boards and you will learn so much about the challenges of day to day grooming. I lurked for a year before I decide to invest in school. I also attended a Conference before attending school.
          You will learn about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of grooming. I was absolutely confident that I wanted to get wet, hairy, and smelly everyday. I love grooming so much that I actually accept the yucky stuff as part of the process.
          If you want it you will want to be reading these boards until you fall asleep each night. Good Luck with your evaluation and Welcome.

Comment

Thanks so much for all your input and welcoming me here. I'm sorry I didn't mention I'm actually in Ont Canada so some options just aren't viable around here. I might try to look around for a bathing job to so to speak get my feet wet,lol.

Thanks again

Comment

School would be best for me.

Luvpug,

I too have to face a career change in the next two years. I will retire from the military. My wife's family owns a boarding kennel in MA with no groomer. The prior owners did little grooming and the equipment was old and not worthy. I am saving up for supergroom in September to purchase most of the equipment I need to open the grooming department. I will be going through a 600 hour course at a local grooming school here in CA. so I will somewhat safe if MA passes that legislation or bill. While I am in school, my groomer who does our Shi Tzu's offered to train me on my days I am not in class. Today, I asked the boarding kennel my wife works at if I could volunteer in the grooming department to gain even more experience. My mother-in-law wants me to become the manager of the kennel and to quell disputes between the sisters and Mom. I know I will have my hands full. I guess what I am saying is that attending school will give you much needed experience in grooming, customer relations and book keeping. The more time you have hands on the better. If I were to take an online course, I would be tempted to second guess myself in the grooming process. How do I start on a breed I have never seen before? I'd be stumped. I would want to be confident in my work and I can only do that by continuing my education in grooming.

Comment

Originally posted by ltljon93 View Post
                Luvpug,

I too have to face a career change in the next two years. I will retire from the military. My wife's family owns a boarding kennel in MA with no groomer. The prior owners did little grooming and the equipment was old and not worthy. I am saving up for supergroom in September to purchase most of the equipment I need to open the grooming department. I will be going through a 600 hour course at a local grooming school here in CA. so I will somewhat safe if MA passes that legislation or bill. While I am in school, my groomer who does our Shi Tzu's offered to train me on my days I am not in class. Today, I asked the boarding kennel my wife works at if I could volunteer in the grooming department to gain even more experience. My mother-in-law wants me to become the manager of the kennel and to quell disputes between the sisters and Mom. I know I will have my hands full. I guess what I am saying is that attending school will give you much needed experience in grooming, customer relations and book keeping. The more time you have hands on the better. If I were to take an online course, I would be tempted to second guess myself in the grooming process. How do I start on a breed I have never seen before? I'd be stumped. I would want to be confident in my work and I can only do that by continuing my education in grooming.

Thanks for sharing your background, the more I read these boards the more interesting it is seeing how everyone started (or will start to)getting into the business.
                I'm actually going to pick up some pamphlets and stuff at a grooming place whom I talked with about a possible school. I'm looking forward to this career very much and most definately want some hands on(paws on,lol) experience and feel school will be the right option for me. Now the only thing is how much it will cost me,LOL

Comment

Pricey

Luvpug,

The school I am looking at is $7,000. I am still trying to find out how much my VA or MGIB will cover. I hope at least a thousand. It is a good idea to find your school early and start the process for enrollment. Class sizes are regulated at some schools and they fill up fast. I still have to have my interview with my school but the woman I spoke to said I should have no problem since I have been in the military over eighteen years. She also said it was a good idea that I started this early in my enrollment since classes fill up.

Comment

Working...
                  X