Still mats after combing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still mats after combing

I do a golden doodle every two weeks and the owner said it came home with mats behind the ears. She had pointed them out before the groom and I was very careful to double check with my fingers and with the comb. I was pretty sure they were all gone.

The same thing happened with two Bichons in full coat that I brushed out. I double checked, got my comb through them, felt with my fingers, but somehow there were still mats.

Are there different combing techniques or something? Do I need to use something besides a teflon coated fine tooth comb?

I use a regular greyhound comb both side the large then the fine I brush first then comb. maybe double check the dogs before they go home. give them a quick comb. maybe there scratching before they leave. due to cleaning ears or plucking.

Comment

I've had that happen to me a couple times. My comb was bent in weird ways and some teeth were spread apart and some close together. Bought a new comb and no more mats or knots after combing. Combs wear out over time and use and they have to be replaced like blades and brushes. Especially if they get dropped a lot.
      Becky

Comment

Combs

I have a bunch of combs in my collection of tools. Sometimes when stuff like this happens, I'll go to a very fine toothed comb. Some dogs have such fine/think silky hairs that the wider toothed combs go right through the mats that are still there. The finest type of comb I have is a flea comb. Its amazing what that little comb can find. It works great around those ear edges where the hair is often matted..like on a Maltese or anything that comes to you matted to the nines....lol.

Comment

Greyhound Steel Comb perhaps?

Teflon combs sometimes glide right over the matts. I get the best results with a greyhound med/course comb. Thick coats take a lot of work. good luck, liz

Comment

If you lift the ear up and then let it fall back down, you'll notice that some of these dog's ears fold under in the back, behind the ears. I used to have the same problem and I finally figured out that I was only brushing / combing what was on top, but not what had folded under.

Be sure to check back there. Just lift the ear straight out to the side and comb down behind that area. Check those mats when you are blow drying, too, so you can see exactly where they are.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Mats don't happen instantly so it was probably that your comb went over the mat with out ever catching it. I use a greyhound comb. Not too close together on the teeth or you will be tearing live coat, not removing dead undercoat.

Comment

I use a greyhound or All Systems comb.

I have developed a habit of blowing with my mouth behind the ear area. It parts the hair naturally and I can see most matts.

That area usually will recieve a spritz of extra leave in hair conditioner.

Comment

try this

After you are done, and are sure the mats are out, try a little
                  cowboy magic in that area.
                  Just put a pea size dot of it and rub in in your hands, and quickly go over that place on the dog that was so bad. It will help to keep the mats from appering again so soon. Really slicks it up. Shines nice too. Just give it a few minutes to dry.

Comment

Ok what is cowboy magic?

Comment

Originally posted by DAPER DAWG View Post
                      Ok what is cowboy magic?
                      I'd like to know too.....my mind has lots of things in it and they sure can't be what you're talking about!!!
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

cowboymagic.com/products-detangler-shine.html

Comment

I go through most of my dogs with a metal flea comb as I find it will go right through a perfectly combed out comb but will find even the smallest matts.

also I hadn owners a comb before they leave and encourage them t ogo through the dog before leaving.

Comment

You may want to also try and pull the ears forward to the nose and then slicker brush and comb that area.

Comment

I also use a metal flea comb. I think it's one of the best finishing grooming tool out there and so inexpensive!
                              It always find the smallest little knot one could have forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X