I charged for a bad haircut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I charged for a bad haircut

I am a perfectionist i'll admit it but I am also human and make mistakes, heres the scenario: I am a good groomer i work in a kennel for commission, the owner makes all the appointments for me ( which by the way i'm going to try to get her to let me make my own appointments somehow) My hours are tuesday thru Saturday from nine until I am finished that was my choice and I take my last appointment at three o'clock on Saturday. okay to the point this Saturday was slow the owner will usually call me the night before to let me know whats up for the next day. Well the owner called and said you have a giant (and she wasnt kidding) mixed breed for a shave down at nine, a cocker bath, and a shihtzu the last two were boarding so I could do them whenever. I started working on the monster at nine o'clock and he was a very nice and cooperative boy easy I thought but then the owner of the kennel showed up and said she made a mistake and the shihtzu didnt have to be done until next week cool I am getting out early. boy was I wrong the kennel owner said dont be surprised if someone just comes walking in for an appointment because I know I had three people call I just cant remember what your last appoinment is. What the hell was what I was thinking. well low and behold just as I was getting ready to leave a car pulls in and out comes a huge husky!! man o man I was not happy. Her rear end was so matted to the skin that it was a wonder how she could even sit let alone go to the bathroom and she was blowing coat like there was no tommorrow filthy and covered in matts oh great here goes three hours at least. i ended up getting frustrated after three hours and ended up having to give her a baboon butt and taking off her whole tail she still had at least another hour of brushing and matts on her belly. I called the owners and had them come get her I charged them 55 dollars, but now I feel bad and want to call them back and have them bring her back in so I can finish. I think all groomers have the right to know what is coming at them each day and the owner was wrong to not warn me and I also think that after three hours of work there shoudl be an extra charge. How should I have handled this? can someone help? did I undercharge or over charge I just feel really guilty

Big hugs. Don't feel bad for charging and the dog not looking nice. If they wanted nice they should bring her in WAY more often. $$ depends on your area. But in my book a well kept up dog should NOT cost the same as one in that condtion. And yes I would sit down and talk to the owner about scheduling.

Comment

Seriously undercharged imo. I think you should have assessed the dog as follows: Due to the severe condition I will have to charge by the hour, it will take at least three hours at $40-70/hr (whatever your area charges). At this late hour I am unable to start today, could you bring her in at 8:00 am on Tuesday? If the client doesn't like it, good riddance! That is NOT the type of customer I would work with at all. But if you must (because you work for someone else), you should at the very least make it a reasonable job.

There may have been ways to make the job easier with proper equipment...and I'm sure you'll learn about them if you don't already use them. But even with equipment and technique to make the work easier and the job less time consuming, you should never reward owners of a neglected pet with a low price. Maybe they are sincerely good people who love their dog but lack education, that's where you come in, and once you've explained the situation, there's no excuse for it to ever happen again.

Please don't think I'm putting you down in any way. I would have done the same thing many years ago. But now you're here...let the learning begin!!! Feel you confidance GROW, take care of YOURSELF!!!

I think you feel guilty because you know you could have done a better job on the dog, but remember, the situation was totally unfair to you. If you had told the owners that you absolutely could not start that kind of job at that point in the day, you would have felt in charge of the situation and not felt guilty. Live and learn, you've come here to find a better way. My way is not the only way, listen to all the advice, and take what works for you. Best of luck.

Comment

Don't feel guilty for being taken advantage of by both

the kennel owner and the dogs owner. I think you did the right thing and only thing being placed in that position. I also agree with the other posts that you undercharged.

I don't understand why the kennel owner is setting your appointments? You were put into this position because of it and it will most likely continue if you do not get control of your own appointments.

By the way how much of that $55 did you actually get? I'm guessing that for the aggravation it was not worth it.

Comment

I think you should have just shaved out that belly at the end. Also I think you undercharged for sure no matter where you are. Don't feel guilty about the unfinished groom. The dog feels much better and I am sure the owners realize they got a deal.

Comment

I have a question first. Do you have a powerful HV (High Velocity) dryer, like the K9 II or Master Blaster?

These dryers will do most of the "brushing" for you and will do a lot of the "back" work for you as well.

Mats are partially held together by dirt (per Melissa Verplank who wrote "Notes From the Grooming Table") and so getting the dog clean clean clean will help de-mat the dog.

Of course every dog is different. I had a malamute come in soooo matted that his back half came off in two huge pieces, like pelts. NO WAY NO HOW I could blow that out. So I don't want you to think I'm accusing you of not doing it "right," because I wasn't there and don't really know how bad off the dog was. I just know that there are certain ways of doing things than can help.

I also see this in the "beginner" section so I am assuming you are fairly new to grooming.

Until you gain more experience it is sometimes hard to tell if a dog can be cleaned up with drying/brushing or if you are going to have to shave, etc. When I read that you still had to do another 1.5 hours of brushing, this is what made me think that maybe you don't have a powerful enough dryer, or weren't aware of what that dryer can do if you did have one.

If your dryer is powerful enough, you really shouldn't have had "an hour and a half more of brushing to do" because you can brush/HV dry at the same time. If that dog were brushable, then it would have been a good idea to fully HV dry the dog by hand. Not sure what you did or didn't do so I can't really say for sure.

I do not think that you over-charged them, I think that you did YOUR best with the knowledge and experience you have and that if your boss were a good manager, she would have been more helpful in this situation. Your boss is the one who should know what to do and how to do it, and should support you in that, in helping you from point A to point B, and your boss should have known the fair charge, etc.

Don't feel too guilty, it's not your fault.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I agree with c.c. and Dawn125

astrordog

Comment

Take the advice that has been given. No since in giving it again, it was all well said and I can't improve on it.

I also feel you undercharged.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

right

all of the previous advice was right. that dog should never have been started at that time of day, ANY day, especailly Saturday. talk to the owner asap, you need to do your own scheduling and do not take any dogs later than noon on saturday.
                  Liz

Comment

thanks for the advice

i will take everything to heart and greatly appreciate all. [I] have been grooming for 5 years the owner on the other hand is not a groomer but a vet tech. I just need to do my own scheduling like you people say. I'll let her do the kennel scheduling but all outside appts. got to be made by me. FYI The dog was a kennel dog. meaning the owners got this dog to place it in a run all day why people get a dog for that purpose is beyond me but anyways this poor girl had tennis ball size matts on her behind i did use a HV dryer but she was just not giving up her coat and was in terrible terrible condition. I am going to invent a ring that owners can wrap around their behind and atach tennis balls to it and when they come to pick up their dog I am going to advise them to go home and sit on these tennis ball constantly then explain to them that after they do so they will truly understand how their dog feels. Thanks again everybody!![/I]

Comment

Hey, I charge for bad haircuts every day. Some are just worse than others.

Comment

One difference

the tennis balls should be attached in such a way that they pull the skin tightly. Cute idea though, and would love to have those owners get compassion someway.

When I was grooming a while back inbetween office corp. jobs I worked at a totally disfunctional shop. We knew it was temporary for me, but still ended up intolerable. The lady booked whatever came in and never heard my plea to have light days so I could do interviews for my then wanted Corporate world. My last day there I did a Samoyed that was packed that solid. Nothing worked. That was about 15 years ago, and I still recall that that dog was not completely brushed out when I gave up. It was clean and had lots of coat out, but I understand your feelings of not doing what you wished you could have done.

Hope you get more control over your situation. And yes that was undercharged, but the people might not have paid more, and even if they did you still would have been exhausted.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Fur....that was the best...!

Comment

dont feel bad!

If the owners would have taken the responsability to take the dog in more often it wouldn't end like that. i think that if the dog is matted like that i just shave it down and tell the owner why it must be this way (of course i tel the owner first and get permission from the owner to shave it down) dont worry, most owners will understand and remember HAIR always GROWS BACK I did something like this on a golden retriever and the owner payed me $20 more! WOW that surprised me. but i thight that it would look better that just shaveing it all down. I never like to do this but the owners didnt mind and i didnt have that much time (anyway that dogs hair grows back soo quickly! it didn't really matter, in about a month he looked totally normal again!)LOL

Comment

hi

Originally posted by mommasita View Post
                              I am a perfectionist i'll admit it but I am also human and make mistakes, heres the scenario: I am a good groomer i work in a kennel for commission, the owner makes all the appointments for me ( which by the way i'm going to try to get her to let me make my own appointments somehow) My hours are tuesday thru Saturday from nine until I am finished that was my choice and I take my last appointment at three o'clock on Saturday. okay to the point this Saturday was slow the owner will usually call me the night before to let me know whats up for the next day. Well the owner called and said you have a giant (and she wasnt kidding) mixed breed for a shave down at nine, a cocker bath, and a shihtzu the last two were boarding so I could do them whenever. I started working on the monster at nine o'clock and he was a very nice and cooperative boy easy I thought but then the owner of the kennel showed up and said she made a mistake and the shihtzu didnt have to be done until next week cool I am getting out early. boy was I wrong the kennel owner said dont be surprised if someone just comes walking in for an appointment because I know I had three people call I just cant remember what your last appoinment is. What the hell was what I was thinking. well low and behold just as I was getting ready to leave a car pulls in and out comes a huge husky!! man o man I was not happy. Her rear end was so matted to the skin that it was a wonder how she could even sit let alone go to the bathroom and she was blowing coat like there was no tommorrow filthy and covered in matts oh great here goes three hours at least. i ended up getting frustrated after three hours and ended up having to give her a baboon butt and taking off her whole tail she still had at least another hour of brushing and matts on her belly. I called the owners and had them come get her I charged them 55 dollars, but now I feel bad and want to call them back and have them bring her back in so I can finish. I think all groomers have the right to know what is coming at them each day and the owner was wrong to not warn me and I also think that after three hours of work there shoudl be an extra charge. How should I have handled this? can someone help? did I undercharge or over charge I just feel really guilty
                              if your feeling guilty call them back and finish the dog and maybe the owner will come back to you when the husky needs a hair cut?

Comment

Working...
                              X