I Quit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Quit!

I tried this grooming business and I graduated from school 3 months ago. I have to quit. I make 50% of every dog I do--I cannot do more than 4 dogs a day. My boss/owner takes the labs, bassets, and pugs before I can get to them because I am so slow and still working on another dog. She has also been pocketing all the tips--even on the dogs I have groomed. I am so upset but my husband and I cannot live much longer in our house with what I am adding to our family income. We figured I would be faster and make more money by now but it's not working. I am so upset!

Your boss should be ashamed. Move to another shop, if you can. It takes time to build speed. 4 dogs a day 3 months after grooming school isn't bad.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Oh No!

I can completely understand your frustration!!

I don't know what to tell you to do. You know your finances.

Have you thought about part time at another shop & part time somewhere with a guaranteed check?

How about just another shop with a more understanding boss?

How about grooming part time at a shop who needs a fulltime bather?
      Come in early, bathe all the dogs then do one or two of the dogs who will be staying late?

Does any of this help?
      Can you share more info?

Erica

Comment

Hey, don't worry.there's lots of other grooming jobs out there. it sounds like you need to get out of there anyway. there's always a reason for everything. why would the owner keep your tips? that's not right! you don't want to work for someone like that....sometimes, when you are slow because you are new(which by the way, is how everyone starts out) you may be able to get a better gig at a kennel, for now. because kennels get alot of bath dogs. if you can find a kennel that will let you do all the dogs that might help. or you can go the other way and make sure you are at a place that has a bather so you can just do the grooming. the biggest mistake new groomers make is spending too much time on the dog before the bath....prep the dog for the tub as quickly as you can. it doesn't have to look good at this point. save your perfection for finishing.you will get faster. everyone does...cheer up.....it'll get better....

Comment

Absolutely try another shop! Please, try to find someplace that will help teach you speed (without sacrificing quality, might I add) and start by learning their routine. You will come into your own when the time is right. I am so sorry to hear the news, but don't let your first try ruin your whole career! Volunteer at a shelter to gain experience if you can. Best wishes.

Comment

[QUOTE=SpikeyTheYorkie;43222]. 4 dogs a day 3 months after grooming school isn't bad.

Spikey is right about this. I'm doing 4-5 dogs a day. I've been out of grooming school 1 year. Please don't quit. You invested too much time and effort at this point.

If you have to get another job to pay the bills, why don't you set something up at home and groom on Saturdays. That way you can work on your skills and build up your own business.

Or try another shop.

You sound like you're in the dumps. I get like that too. Sometimes, I feel like my grooms are ******...and then the next day my grooms are great.

Just hang in there. This is how life is.
            www.gomobileandsucceed.com
            http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by eli View Post
              I can completely understand your frustration!!

I don't know what to tell you to do. You know your finances.

Have you thought about part time at another shop & part time somewhere with a guaranteed check?

How about just another shop with a more understanding boss?

How about grooming part time at a shop who needs a fulltime bather?
              Come in early, bathe all the dogs then do one or two of the dogs who will be staying late?

Does any of this help?
              Can you share more info?

Erica
              This is kind of how I started. My boss would assign me 8-10 dogs each day. Initially there would be 1 or 2 that were haircuts and the rest bath dogs. She always picked the haircuts that were staying late for me because I was so slow. Over time as I got faster my mix of dogs changed and I got lots more haircuts and less bath dogs. This way I was able to make a decent income while becoming a faster groomer.

Comment

I'll go with what's already been said. You need to find a new shop. 4 dogs, 3 months out of school, is fine. You should also be in a salon that will split bath dogs with you. Your boss shouldn't be grabbing all the "easy" dogs. It's not fair at all. Look around and find someone who can work with you.

Comment

She should be ashamed of herself for taking your tips. I would look for sometime else also. 4 days per day isn't bad..... As for the taking all the other dogs, I can't say I blame her ONLY if she is doing to get them done quickly to keep on schedule. I find my self doing this when my bather is here. The only reason being is I know that I can get them out faster and we stay on schedule and aren't working late. But if she is doing it just to do it then that is another story. Good luck. Maybe in a few years you will look back on this and laugh when your running your own grooming salon and you will treat your employees better than she is treating you.

Comment

Don't despair! Groomers are hard to come by. Good groomers are even harder to come by. It sounds as if you are putting your all into it.

Time to go Fishin'! For another job that is!

I wish you the best. And my thoughts are with you.

Annette

Oh yea! Your boss has some serious issues!
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Annette, who's very graciously allowed to live with the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by CuttingBetty View Post
                      I have to quit. I make 50% of every dog I do--I . My boss/owner takes the labs, bassets, and pugs before I can get to them because I am so slow and still working on another dog. She has also been pocketing all the tips--even on the dogs I have groomed. !

As a business owner I will give you the following advise......
                      1. 50% commission is more than fair
                      2. Your boss has the right to do all the bath dogs, it maintains a profit margin
                      3. Pocketing employee tips is undefendable, talk to her/him
                      4. Ask for some time saving tips to improve speed
                      5. Perhaps look for a shop that has bather/fluffers
                      6. Try a corporate until your speed picks up
                      7.No one ever said grooming would make you rich, but you can make a living
                      8. Don't give up, it may just "click" for you tomarrow

Comment

Betty, as others have said, the speed will come with experience. Find a new position, keep learning and practicing. Come here for support.

My household suffered financially when I started (went into lots of debt), but now I support the whole family....and I love what I do. Good luck to you.

Comment

Do you like grooming? Do you want to do anything else? Is grooming too much for you and is this an easy way out?

Don't take what I said wrong, but it is worth looking into. If grooming is something that you really want to do there is a way to do it. Find a different shop, talk to your boss about your concerns, find a part time job that will help with the finances, set up a shop at your own place where you can keep you skills and work a part time job.

With 3 months under your belt, 4 dogs a day is pretty darn good. Your speed will pick up each month you groom, even each day.

Hang in there if this is what you really want to do.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

hang in there

It is tuff just starting out and getting your speed up does take time. A mistake I see often is lack of confidence. When you finally think you are done something in your head says oh no i forgot something, not always true. Be more confident in your work and you will see a speed increase. Also try setting a limit I personally feel that if you are doing a small breed by yourself from bathing to the end result 2 hours is a reasonable expectation. From there you you will gain speed. Grooming can be a very profitable and rewarding career, hang tuff. I know that someone suggested working for a kennel (very good suggestion) I work in a kennel and you do get alot of bath dogs. I usually dont set my first grooming appointment until half an hour after I begin then it gives me time to get at least three dogs bathed before my first grooming appointment. Then I can just do the drying nails etc in between grooming appointments plus I do any other bath appointments in between grooms. As for yopur employer keeping the tips thats a crock and you don't need to or want to work for someone like that anyways. I have been through alot of shops and employers. My time and expertise is just as valuable as theirs. You will find your way

Comment

Dont Quit!!

now did you just put yourself through grooming school to quit now and throw all that money away? i didnt think so! find another grooming shop! find another part time job working mornings, or evenings and have a set schedule if you can and find another grooming shop that will be able to work with your exsisting schedule. do NOT just up and quit grooming all together. if you cannot groom part time how about just a couple days a week? 50 percent is a decent commission. how about applying at a petsomething? they pay you a set hourly wage or you get commission whichever comes out to be more. this might work out better for you. as for her taking all the bath dogs...is she doing this because they need to be done or because she dosnt feel like doing any haircuts? do all the dogs come in all at once or in two shifts during the day or is it appointment type? i know i was a little slower when i started bathing for the last salon i worked at....but after 8 months i was able to bust out a lab as fast as she was! maybe not bathing it as quickly as she could but i could groom it JUST AS FAST as her! so if it took her 20 mins to do ears,pads,nails,and a brush out on a lab i could do it in about 25 to 30 mins. all because i took a lil longer on the pads and nails. 5 to 10 mins isnt that much of a big deal. now as for her pocketing your tips...is she the one that takes the payment for the dogs when they leave? or can you walk up to the owner and talk to them after you've groomed there dog? if you can maybe just ask them politely...if your going to leave a tip can you please just hand it to me now just to make sure i get it? i know any tips i made the owners of the dogs just handed it to me and she had no say in asking me to give them to her. unless you cannot get the tips and all tips are put in a tip jar? how many other groomers are there? is it just you and her? or are there other groomers? try finding a salon/shop where there are more than 1 other groomer and they already have a bather...and explain to them that you are only able to do 4 dogs a day that is with bathing them yourself and doing the haircuts. now are these haircut dogs your doing or are they a mix of bath and haircuts? how large are these haircut dogs? what type of bath dogs are these? goldens? huskys? labs? are these h/c dogs a smaller breed (ie shih tzus,lhasas,yorkies etc?) or are they larger dogs that take more time (ie, springers, some cockers, larger poodles, setters?)
                              it all depends on how large the dog is, how the dog is cooperating for you on the table, and what type of hair/coat the dog has that determines how long the groom is going to take. one type of cocker can take you about 1 1/2 hr to give it a H/C while the thicker coated types will take you about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs or even more! it all really depends on the type of coat and the breed and size of the dog and its temperment.
                              dont dispair...if you cannot make a living on the grooming itself then get another parttime job if you can. if you can't then get a full time job and groom on the weekends. its better than not grooming at all.
                              as for myself, im still debating wether or not to go to school or to train under someone else. i got screwed once by training under someone else...i dont know i if i want to waste all that time again (about 7 or 8 months wasted when i could have been working at a normal job and saving that money for things that needed to be saved for! ie, a wedding, an apartment, and grooming school!). now my plans were all delayed by about a year or so! i was upset and very very dissapointed...but now im back on track!
                              GOOD LUCK AND DONT QUIT! there are tons of better grooming salons out there...as everyone else pointed out...try a kennel...they normally have ton's of dogs that are boarding and are there for grooming before they go home.
                              GOOD LUCK!
                              Hound

Comment

Working...
                              X