How to hold the thinning scissor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hold the thinning scissor

Iam not new to the job - but today I started thinking about the correct way to hold the thinning scissor.
    I am mostly self taught and have got most of my knowledge from books when it comes to how to use the scissors . But I cant find anything about this topic....

Should I have the straight or the toothed blade down against the coat/body????

Some of my scissors works best with the straight blade down and some with the toothed blade. But is there a "right" way ?

It depends :-)

When the blade is near the body it will cut closer, this is beneficial around crusty eye areas.

The teeth side will leave longer hair and is good for skimming.

Comment

Wow, the things I learn. I never even thought about it. Mine have finger holes for a righty and thats just how I held them never crossed my mind to flip them over. I do it with my curves so why did I never think to do it with my thinners.

Comment

I was never taught how to even use thinning shears. I have had the same question but never thought about asking.

Thanks for the asking.

I'm always learning something on this board.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Be super careful if you have the double blenders! lol

Comment

double thinners

someone mentioned about double thinniers. One dog groomer told me that umm...the double thinners make more marks in the coat. is that true? someone please give me their opinion on using the double thinners.

Comment

While we're on the subject...what is the difference in the 36 and 42 tooth (or whatever the numbers are!?!) I've heard different things on this one.

Comment

I have a set of Twin Thins.One side is dbl.thinning blades,the other is staight edge.This is great for de-bulking very thick areas of coat,not so great for blending.It is nice that you can flip them over to do straight cutting,not so great if you want to thin and forget that they are flipped the wrong way! lol They take a little getting used to and are a nice addition to your tools.

Comment

if the straight side is facing the dog (agaist the coat0 does it make scissor marks, or is it opposite?

Comment

Blenders/Thinner 101

I can't believe that schools do not teach you the basics of using one of the best tools out there!

Blending shears have 1 toothed blade....Thinning shears have both blades with teeth. Using the double toothed blades can bulk out a coat for corrective grooming, or can super top thin a coat.

With a Blender the more teeth you have the less chance of a cut mark showing. 11 tooth blenders for bulking out coat, 44-72 teeth for sculpting.

Top-thinning or smoothing out a coat is becoming very popular, many seminars now include this (Sue Zecco for instance showed how to to this in her seminars this last spring and summer). There are now special blenders designed for just this method of smoothing out a coat.

Straight cut teeth on a blender will show more of a cut line than lazor cut teeth (the ones that have a slight curve to them, usually in a much wider blade) (look at the blades, and how the teeth are actually 'cut' in to the blade of the shear).

Twin-Thin style blenders with a scissor combo, are used for cutting and blending at the same time. (using the blender side always to the dog) Time is saved, but the down side is that you are using 2 pair if shears at the same time, so there is added weight.

The Keyhole style blenders are good for use on very thick or wiry coat as in terriers, as the keyhole provides room for the cut hair, so you can take a few more snips before cleaning out the blade.

A good blender or thinner is an essential part of your collection of shears IMO...I personally have almost as many of these as I do non-tooth shears (cures or straight).
                    www.pamsbubblemobile.com

Comment

There is a book out called "All about Shears" by Barbara Bird and she does a great job explaining what shears are and use of them. Go to my site, www.thebladeguyz.com, click on VENDOR NUMBERS, and on the lower right side of the page you will see the link to her site. It is well worth the investment.

Tim
                      Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
                      123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

I have thinning shears (techniquely they are blending shears as they only have one set of teeth) and I just use them. I don't think about which way I hold them to the hair.
                        I virtually never use them on teddybears as I do that all with straight shears, thinners aren't necessary (cept for on the face). But on kennel clips I just use them. Never thought there was a correct way and an incorrect way and my grooms always come out good.

Comment

thanks azoci for the explanation and everyone else for asking. I love this site, I learn soo much.

Comment

k thanks...i nkew for the blending shears..i am unfamiliar with the "twin thin" scissors. i have seen them before but never used them. are they worth buying?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
                              Be super careful if you have the double blenders! lol
                              why do you have to be so careful? (sorry i am unfamiliar with double blenders, never used them in my life)

Comment

Working...
                              X