X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which flea dip?

was wondering if anyone knows which flea dip works the best
    on the customers dogs? thanks

We don't use any flea dip. We do, however, use flea shampoo.

Comment

Don't advise it

Don't use flea dip! It is too toxic for people or animals. Actually, even regular shampoo can be used to kill fleas if applied to a dry coat and left on about 10 minutes. (pre-wetting lets the fleas put on their armor, so to speak!) Do a search on the board and you will find lots of other information about this.

Comment

I don't do flea and tick dips, just use the flea shampoo. The dips are too toxic. The shampoo will kill anything on the dog just as well.

Comment

Like others have said, I don't use flea dip. They're too toxic, and they don't work all that well.

We use flea shampoo, though, and sell Frontline and Advantage. Shampoo will kill the fleas on the pet, but has no residual affect. So the pet needs a spot on or spray to continue killing fleas when it goes home.

We also recommend that while the pet is being groomed they should treat their house. We explain the need for using a product with an insect growth regulator if they really want to get rid of the fleas. And we have those products available too.

Comment

Dips

We do not use chemical dips. If you want to try a dip product, try Halo Cloud 9 herbal dip. Chemical free. non toxic....people love it. smells good too

Comment

Uggghhh...FLEAS

The only time I do flea dips is when it's that time of year for the hunting type dogs to come in and get their quick baths and nails clipped. I do this once a year and ALL of these dogs are always flea infested and they get dipped as soon as the owner comes. I use Bio Groom. I don't like flea dips at all (take precaution when doing it), but since I have a Home Based business, I don't want these flea infested dogs hanging out in my yard and shop getting everything else flea infested. The rest of the year I just use flea baths to kill the fleas. I like EZ Groom's flea shampoo, but have also used Bio Groom as well.

Comment

Garlic, anyone?

Flea dips, ewww. Toxic. Flea shampoos are the way to go, for sure. That kills any on the dog. Frontline and Advantage, yeah yeah.

I have a lot of clients here that have pets that are allergic to fleas.
                They go running to the vet because the dog won't stop itching, and the vet gives them prednisone, cortisone shots, etc. However they never suggest a 'flea allergy'.

So, with your topical treatments the flea has to bite to die. It's the bite that causes the allergic reaction. A daily dose of garlic in the pets food repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes from biting. Totally natural, and no more fleas!

Comment

Give them a Capstar! http://www.capstar.novartis.us/

Comment

With your tea tree oil and that organic capsation ****. Fleas and ticks can swim in it with no problems. To kill the bugs you need pyrethrens. if your shampoo or dip does not have them then you are just washing off a few bugs the dog will reinfest in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Groomteam View Post
                      With your tea tree oil and that organic capsation ****. Fleas and ticks can swim in it with no problems. To kill the bugs you need pyrethrens. if your shampoo or dip does not have them then you are just washing off a few bugs the dog will reinfest in no time.
                      I do not know where you got your information from, but even Pyrethrins offer no residual effects. Permetrhins DO offer some residuals, but are being removed from the market slowly due to their toxicity. Honestly, I will not use either. We kill the fleas on the dog using a Citrus shampoo or a strong soap, then advise the parent to seek treatment from their vet. It is not my problem if their dog has fleas. It is my problem ONLY in that we would get fleas in the shop, so I have to get them off. If you actually research the chemicals in dips and the ones you are mentioning you will find out all kinds of horrible stories. Repeated use is dangerous for us and the dog and the bees and the birds and the fish.......
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

No flea dip here either and I work at the Vets office. I won't even consider flea dip since it will contact my body let alone a dogs. When I first started grooming we used paramite like it was nothing swam in the dang stuff and then dogs and groomers started getting very very sick.....and dying. Convinced me!!

Comment

If you are still using flea dip....read about these things. I stopped using flea dips in the early 90's..my health, the health of the animals i groom are much to important to put them at risk.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000029.htm
                          http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4821a3.htm
                          http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...hroid_toxicity

Comment

Working...
                          X