No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with this dryer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with this dryer?

Do you use this dryer? if so how do you like it? I'm looking for a reasonably priced dryer i can attach to the cages tis was the most reasonable i found. its the Oster HI-Velocity Table and Cage Dryer
    http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ctID=2096&AS=1

Thanks
    Last edited by beesnees; 04-17-07, 06:27 PM.

We used these in 92, things may have changed, but there was some very over heated dogs with these. Check out floor dryers from Lesco? They carry them at Wal-Mart and Sams. Very inexpensive no heat and work well

Comment

They do have a cool setting that you can use, and I have found it to be quiet enough to not scare cats. I am mobile, and rarely use mine, except in winter to heat my trailer --- I do not use cages, so I suppose they could overheat pets if using the warm settings unattended. It is not that forceful of a dryer though...

Comment

cage drying with a heat dryer?

IMO you are only asking for trouble by using one of these as a cage dryer. I used one of these back in the 70's, but not for cage drying! I think you are going to find that most groomers do not cage dry any more and if they do it's with ambient air from a fan or cage blower, especially with all the bad press of dogs dying from cage drying using a dryer with heat...

Comment

dryers

We used these dryers yrs. ago. they have heat elements that could overheat a pet, and they don't blow very hard. The fact that they have heat elements makes up for not having a lot of airflow, but I wouldn't recc. buying one.

astrordog

Comment

I bought one 5 yrs. ago when I opened my shop. I wasn't impressed, I didn't think it had much power. Ended up donating it to the Humane Society 2 yrs. later.
            Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Like others have mentioned, it would be dangerous to trust it as a cage dryer. You can put it on a cool setting, but I have had one that malfunctioned and only blew HOT!!!!! Thankfully I only use mine as a table dryer to do touchups so it was discovered w/out hurting a dog. It works okay IMO just as a touch up or cat/scardy dog dryer because it is quiet. If you were using it to hand dry a full coated dog it would take you a loooooong time.... Just DON'T trust it to stay cool if you use it as a cage dryer. Much better to get a floor fan and use that then you know no one is goin to cook.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

dryers

Hi, we use 4 of these type of dryers at our clinic, I have different ones for my shop, but they do have a no heat setting which is safe and we use them on both cats and dogs. They purchased another one recently and we have no trouble with them overheating the animals as we use the no heat setting most of the time. They do hang well on both cage doors and chain link type run doors, at the shop I use a K-3 and a stand type dryer also a small hand dryer.

Comment

I agree with everyone. At the shop I work at we honestly just use fans. Most of the dogs are HV'd first anyway, so it is just touching them up a little. It's room temp air, and there is no danger of heat, like with a stand dryer. Even if you use just the cool air, like everyone else mentioned there is still the danger of it malfunctioning and only blowing hot air.
                  I do have a stand dryer that I use for the table, but it's not an Oster. I think that it'sDouble K. Love it.
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I also have one of these and use it to cage dry on the no heat setting. I normally hand dry 95% of the time, but I sometimes use it to finish drying short haired dogs like labs, beagles, etc. in the cage. Just make sure you are not using the heat settings because it's too dangerous otherwise.

Comment

I have one too, but mine is old as dirt. It doesn't have the switch where you can adjust the heat. That thing is the energizer bunny & I don't think it will ever die...Why is it the things you don't care about live forever and the things you do die way too soon.?. Well anyway, I use it very rarely, mostly for a back up. Sometimes I'll shoot it at a dog on the table that is maybe freezing while I'm working on him, but it's only for a quick warm up. I wouldn't consider it a useful investment - jmo (but I did use it years ago as my main dryer). The Metro Cagemaster is a great little dryer if you're looking for something universal - cage or forced. I have one of these too, and I love it. It's easy to handle, lightweight and not as loud as a freight train. I have the occasional dog that hates the whole drying experience and so I'll stick them in the crate with the cagemaster. It works well and has been money well spent. I think they're around 150 bucks (without the timer) depending where you get it. Good Luck! Also you can pick up one of those Oster table dryers used in the petgroomer ads here. But in all honesty, I wouldn't take another one if someone gave it to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X