Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downhearted

Feeling very downhearted.
    My trainer is saying that because I am so interested in attention to detail she is finding it hard to get me to progress at the rate she wants. I have two weeks before my course is finished.....
    What should i do.....I love what I do but I can't work at the rate that they want...i've only been doing this for 5 weeks!
    Lilyella
    xx

Oh dear

I hate hearing that. She means that she is not able to finish her course with you in the amount of time that she wanted. It does not relect on your grooming future at all. I am a detail groomer, and also very careful/gentle. I have been called an artist by clients. I do one on one and charge more. There are shops that promote gorgeous finishes, and shops that do fast and quick pet trims and inbetween of course. There are hair dressers for the particular and there are superstore type haircutters and inbetween of course. If she will not continue working with you, then look for a hi-end grooming salon and apprentice under a similar type groomer.

No matter what my Oh Dear was put there because a new groomer should never ever feel pushed to rush as that is where serious accidents can occur. Speed does automatically come along, caution is way to important for the unexperienced and should be foremost with newcomers/students.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Don't feel bad. Sometimes I wished I were able to pay more attention to detail. Sometimes my mind just rushes along! Maybe she is just the type of person who expects too much from a new groomer...... Don't let it get you down.

Comment

You can do it

Hi there Lillyella! Are you in school or is this an apprenticeship? Either way I can't imagine a trainer not loving the fact that you're paying such close attention to detail. 5 weeks is not long at all. Don't expect too much from yourself, there is so much to learn in this profession. I don't think any of us are at a place where we have nothing left to learn. Hugs to you Lillyella and hang in there!! It will get better, those first months are overwhelming, but don't let it get you down. Keep us posted on how things are going for you!

Comment

Don't get upset. After two and a half years of working for others, I always felt rushed to do more which makes for more mistakes. I don't like that feeling either. I still just want to take my time and would rather do less in a day and charge more accordingly. This is one job where I just can't be rushed and do well.

If it is just school then when you get out search for employment where you wont have to feel this way. One of the first places I applied after school demanded 12 dogs a day, at least half of them grooms. Needless to say this is not where I went to work talk about pressure.

Comment

Hang in there

Don't be discouraged about your speed. I totally agree with Arooh. When I finished school, I thought I was the slowest groomer. I also am a detailed person and would probably never make it in a shop. That's why I decided to work for myself. After 4 years, I can do most of my small dogs in an hour, which totally surprises even me. You'll gain speed (and confidence) with experience. It happened to me and it will for you.

Comment

Attention to detail is great. But so is seeing the overall picture, and learning when good enough is good enough.

A lot of us are perfectionists. I think it comes with the territory. And one of the hardest things we have to learn is that they aren't all going to be perfect. If we're realistic, we realize that none of them are perfect. Even at dog shows, where some of the best groomers in the world are at work, they're constantly brushing and tweeking the groom.

We aren't grooming at a dog show. We're grooming pets. Pet groomers can't afford to constantly brush and tweek. We have to know when good enough is good enough. And often we have to tell ourselves "Stick a fork in this one, 'cause it's DONE!" and move on to the next one.

You say you've been training for 5 weeks, and you only have 2 to go. Well, direct your attention to getting the most training you can in those 2 weeks. Learn as much of the basics that you can, and leave the tweeking and detail for later. Learn to walk before you start trying to run. Focus on the big picture, not every single little detail. There's time for that later.

If you miss something drastic, I'm sure your treacher will point it out and have you fix it. If she doesn't hand the dog back and say "This is wrong. Fix it" trust that what you've done is good enough, and the dog is done. It may not be perfect, but it's done.

Comment

I agree with Arrooh and Helly...being a perfectionist is fine...but you need to learn as much as you can in the time you have left...don't try to be that perfectionist yet...learn everything they are willing to teach you...setting patterns, working different coat types, learning little tips and tricks. Once you have the basics (that they are willing to teach) then put your time and effort into perfecting the things you learned. Perfection come later, you need to learn the basics, then go to the intense perfection you yearn to do.

Comment

Please don't feel discouraged. I think anybody in any profession can feel that way, not just in grooming. You are learning and there is a lot to learn. All I can say is do the best you can. You gotta be tough in this world and rise to the challenges!

Motivation comes from within. Don't let anybody stand in your way if this is something you really want to do.

When I was in grooming school, the owner had a competition and I didn't place. I was grooming a standard poodle and they had much easier dogs, one had groomed her own dog. That was the most discouraging day in my grooming career. I cried all the way home, it hurt so much. I didn't let that stop me and I will never forget that moment for as long as I live.

But I'm still here, grooming away! :0)
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Priority: 1st things 1st

Your training is costing you. Additional time to finish the course is going to cost you even more; not only in tuition, but lost revenue that you could be collecting as a groomer once you finish school. Keep in mind that your objective at this time is to learn everything that you can in the time alloted. There will be time to hone your newly learned skills later. Good luck.

Comment

Learn all you can NOW, when you start grooming on your own you can spend the extra 15-30 minutes on the perfectionist side.

When I was learning to groom, I couldn't use clippers to save my life but my scissoring skills were natural, I would scissor everything. My instructor explained it to me like this:

Every groom should be timed. Have an idea of how much time you want to spend per pet and go from there: Owners only see two parts of a dog either the face as the dog is coming up to them or the butt as the dog is leaving.

If a Shih Tzu takes you 1 hour them the majority of your time should be spent on those two areas.

As groomers we hear on comments on those two areas the MAJORITY of the time: "Can you take his face closer", "his hair is getting in eys too quick", "can you leave his ears longer", "Can you trim up his butt closer", "I don't want to see a baboon butt". Think about it... those are our top 2 areas of concern.

Comment

I heard the SAME thing when I was in school, my intructor even asked if I wanted to stay an extra week cause I wasn't 'getting it', and my course was fom Oct to Jan!!

It took my 4 (yes 4!!) hours to do one groom, I was slow and afraid.

And then I opened my own shop right out of school (long story but only choice).

I have gained confidence, speed and skills I never thought I would have, I can do some dogs in a an hour some more but I am getting there! Don't worry! It takes time, months years and you will get there. If you want it it will come!

Comment

Working...
                        X