New graduate needs advice on setting up home shop and apprenticeship SoCAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graduate needs advice on setting up home shop and apprenticeship SoCAL

My name is Kimberly Kempf. I just graduated from grooming school today. However, I still feel I have a ways more to go. I am hoping to find someone to apprentice with a couple days a week. I live in the Temecula/Murrieta, CA area. I would be willing to travel up to 1 hour for the opportunity. Any advice is appreciated. I am super excited about beginning my career.

I also want to set up a shop in my home. Would love some advice from people that have done this; especially how to drum up business. I have checked with the city and I am not allowed to have a grooming business from home. Does anyone still do it from home even though it's not exactly allowed? What about insurance? Can anyone estimate set-up costs?

Thanks for your help,
    Kim Kempf

Hi Kim, Welcome and congratulations!

I am home-based, but it is permitted where I live.
    I don't think I would try to do it "on the sly" if it wasn't, and I do know that I would not be able to get Business/Liability Insurance if that were to be the case, so that would be a HUGE concern. As a general rule, a Homeowners policy will not cover ANY sort of accident related to grooming, with or without a legitimate permit, a separate Business Policy is a MUST...unless you want to risk loosing your home.
    In fact, when I called my Homeowners Insurance company for a quote (TRAVELERS, I still like to unpromote them, lol!) they promptly DROPPED me BECAUSE I was going to operate a business from home.

For now...I would put all your energy into finding a good apprenticeship/job, and work on building up your skills, confidence, and contacts.
    Contacts can mean the world when the "right" time comes, and you really limit yourself in many ways if you don't take advantage of other's experience.

Besides, it's MUCH cheaper and not as risky, to continue to learn on someone else's dime, and get paid for it.

I truly believe that things happen in the order they are supposed to IF you try to make smart decisions, so don't take your first step and have it be one that may sabotage you.

Good luck to you!
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Congratulations Kim

I know several people who have tried to set up a grooming business out of their homes in the Murrieta/Temecula area and unfortunately they have all been in trouble with zoning.

I would suggest that you maybe consider house call grooming. I believe there a separate forum in here for that.

Scott

Comment

I have just 2 days ago started up my hbb, and it was permitted. I just did inventory so I know I spent 800 in the last 4 months and I only have the bare necessities: 4 clipper blades, 3 clipper combs, and am just missing all kinds of things. Yeah, it's expensive. And I also was unofficially advised to do it on the sly. I thought about it but I was crushed at possibly having to start a career that I was taking very seriously in a situation like that where I could get busted at any time and get into lord knows what kind of trouble. If you get busted you'll never have a legit business, and if you seriously injure a dog, god forbid, you'll never have another client again or spare cash again, because all your money will now be going to getting sued. And the lawyers' papers where I'm from were between $250-500+, and those still don't guarantee you won't get sued. Insurance is $55/month but you can't get that. You can't hang up flyers or put an ad out in public anywhere, so you'd better make a ton of business cards (phone for prices--your jaw will drop) and get ready to do some major networking.

I would see if you can do housecalls, where you bring your toools to them and use their house. But ideally you would be confident in your skills--are you comfortable with everything? How much apprenticing do you need?

Comment

Check with your zoning dept first

all it takes is one big mouth or mean person to close you up and cause you trouble.

Originally posted by Kim Kempf View Post
          My name is Kimberly Kempf. I just graduated from grooming school today. However, I still feel I have a ways more to go. I am hoping to find someone to apprentice with a couple days a week. I live in the Temecula/Murrieta, CA area. I would be willing to travel up to 1 hour for the opportunity. Any advice is appreciated. I am super excited about beginning my career.

I also want to set up a shop in my home. Would love some advice from people that have done this; especially how to drum up business. I have checked with the city and I am not allowed to have a grooming business from home. Does anyone still do it from home even though it's not exactly allowed? What about insurance? Can anyone estimate set-up costs?

Thanks for your help,
          Kim Kempf

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice 4Sibes and Scott. Very, very good info. I so appreciate it!!! You've probably steered me away from making a big mistake.

Comment

This August will be 2 years for me since I finsihed grooming school. I have learned so much since I "graduated". I would suggest you work for someone for at least a year, to learn all the stuff you never learned in grooming school and to improve your skills. For me, it was stuff I didn't even know I didn't know. This board has been a great place to learn. I did branch out on my own and started doing housecall p/t last spring & that is going good. I didn't start this new career untill my mid 50's and have no desire to own a mobile or a shop. My plan is to be the little old granny groomer who does h/c on small dogs and take early retirement. No sure what your goals are, but working for someone else for a while will really help you in the long run. Congrads on becoming a groomer and good luck. There are some people who come out of school and are great groomers, but most of us need the hands on experience that you can only get from working in a busy shop - like having 3 matted dogs , one crazy shih and a old pooping cocker and ya got to get them all groomed by 4 pm,,,lol

Comment

There is an enormous difference between being a good student groomer at a school and a good groomer working in a shop for a living. It is an unfortunate fact too many students don't know there is a difference, graduate and fall flat on their faces because they really don't know what they are doing when they graduate.

The most common mistake is a student who grabs her diploma, refuses to work for anyone else and immediately opens her own business, thinking she are capable of doing it all.

Don't make that mistake.

I wouldn't fool around with the zoning issue. I don't know what the laws are in your area but where I live the guys at the village hall told me they would fine me $750 a day if they caught me playing Grooming For Bucks out of my house.

Oddly enough, they had zero problem if I groomed shelter dogs for free, did dogs for friends or bartered my services out. But if they caught me taking one dollar for clipping the nails on the neighbor's Chihuahua, they'd throw the book at me.

Add to the fact I would not qualify for business insurance and would get into trouble with my homeowners insurance, I am not grooming out of my house, thank you.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who's giving me advice. And I am listening. I know I'm not ready to head out on my own. I'm far from it. I know the basics and that's it. What about a Petsomething as a starting place? The owner of my school can get me an interview as she worked for Pet** for 12 years. I'm worried that I'll be expected to know more than I know and thought that an apprenticeship might be a better place to start, given that I can find one.

Comment

You're willing to travel? If it's amenable to you, my shop in Redlands should be looking to hire in about 60 days for a bather position, but will hopefully grow into something more. PM me if you are interested.
                    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

now that's serious, not even a chihuahuas toe nail ......... lol,lol,lol,

Comment

Working...
                      X