Nail polish application techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail polish application techniques?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make applying doggy nail polish easier??
    Getting messy over here

QUICK-DRY makes it easier. And I put my stand dryer on low, I don't let the dog have his paw back until it is dry to touch.

Comment

I only polish the end half of the nail. Still looks good but you don't get as close to the fur so it's less messy. I also hold the paw under the dryer until dry. I have fast dry nail polish so it only takes about 20 sec to dry under the dryer. But I agree with you, overall nail polish on dogs is a messy process. I normally only do it on poodles or short-haired dogs.

Comment

I use a stand dryer, or human blow dryer. Still takes too long, and still hate to do it, lol.
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Use Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton ball that is saturated. Wipe the paw and nails well in the direction of the paw. This removes all oils from the nail, dries quickly and provides a semi-rough surface for polish. If you are still getting it all over you, a nylon 'footsie' stockings (Those one-size-fits-all ones) that they give you when you try on shoes should work. Just pull the nail right through it. In a pinch - a ziploc sandwich bag works well - pull it right over the paw and poke the nails through - voila!

Comment

Every groomer should have a pair of fishnets!

When I do pawdicures I slip a section of fishnet stockings over the paw have the nails poke through the holes (dont use stockings with a very open pattern) and go one at a time, I cut and file and polish with the stocking on. Using a blow dryer will make the polish dry faster. Simply way to paint the nails and not the fur.

Comment

Okay, don't LAUGH. I do their nails while the dog is wet and hanging on the side of the tub. I totally bathe and rinse my dog, then while the hair is wet I can move it off of the nails and paint. While the dogs are in the tub they always are hanging their paws off of the side anyway. Then, I force dry as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by beesnees View Post
                Anyone have any suggestions on how to make applying doggy nail polish easier??
                Getting messy over here
                try quick dry spray sold in petedge. works good drys nails quick.

Comment

I usually do it as I'm finishing up the dog and the dog is standing on the table. I will paint a hind foot and then move along to the next foot until I'm all the way around. Then I will do something that's not close to the nails as they dry (pick out and attach hair bows, etc). I also have 2 grooming loops so the dog can't sit down and ruin the polish. I have had MUCH better luck with this than any other way. If I try to hold the paw to paint, most dogs will just snatch it back and ruin what I've done.

Comment

paint pens

We have been using non-toxic paint pens in my shop most recently. It worked GREAT and it is non-toxic and you can get it in many fun colors. It is sooo much easier to control that I almost never paint the hair on their toes anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsMom View Post
                      We have been using non-toxic paint pens in my shop most recently. It worked GREAT and it is non-toxic and you can get it in many fun colors. It is sooo much easier to control that I almost never paint the hair on their toes anymore
                      It's the last finishing touch I do and always do the front feet first,then use a harness to keep the dog from sitting and do the rear legs.I would be interested in knowing what and where you get these paint pens,as it sounds like something worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsMom View Post
                        The paint pens are great. Because they are easier to use than nail polish we will usually use the pens to decorate around holiday time. Little white stripes on red nails for candy canes at Christmas, etc.
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

How long does the paint stay on? Is it comparable to polish?
                          And, I wont laugh Gracey, because that's exactly when I paint nails. Why paint on dry feet, hair gets in it..lol
                          The fishnet stocking idea is great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
                            It's the last finishing touch I do and always do the front feet first,then use a harness to keep the dog from sitting and do the rear legs.I would be interested in knowing what and where you get these paint pens,as it sounds like something worth trying.
                            Where can you get them? Please anyone?

Comment

I have started using the Non-toxic paint pens and WOW what a difference!

Comment

Working...
                              X