Burnt Out Already???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Out Already???

I started school in September and have been grooming only 5 days a week since then. Now I am starting to feel as if I am already burnt out. (Those who have been grooming for a long time are going to think I am crazy!!) I don't want to be burnt out. I love grooming (and have been told I am decent at it) but lately it feels like everything I learned is going down the toilet! I think I was better as a student than I am now as a groomer!! I am finding it harder and harder to go into work, I am getting depressed really easy, it takes me forever to do a simple groom, if I try to "up my game" I end up failing. Lately there have been way more bad days than good days. When I look down the road I can see myself as a groomer but I don't know how to get over this hurdle. I do not want to quit grooming. How do you keep yourself motivated? What do you do to releave the stress? Like I said, I love grooming but I cant go on like this... What should I do? :*(

Go to a grooming show and learn something. That helped me soon after school. My styles were being put down because the styles that were being done there were old and mine were new and "different". Pick a new idea and try it for a while. My big this now is wanting to go on my own, with mobile.

Comment

are you getting overbooked? You may just need to down size your scedule or take an extra day off

Comment

Burnt Out

I Ve Been Grooming For 18 Years By Myself Every Dog I Do Is A Bill Paid I Have 3 Kids I Have To Support This Is My Career Not My Job I Make 60,000 A Year Hang In There Kid You'll Be Fine We All Get The Gromer Blues

Comment

you must attend some trade shows and seminars! it will boost your self esteem and encourage you..its fun and so educational! make it a point to go!!!

Comment

Very true sculleysmom, that was my first thought. You may need to tone down your dogs, if even for just a little while.

Also, please remember that life is full of ups and downs. Just like with anything else we go through highs and lows. I am sure that just about every groomer on here can tell you that there was a time that they felt burnt out, or that there skills were inadequate. Just keep at it. If you really feel that grooming is something you want to stick with then give it some time.

Also, do you have a lot of hobbies? Or anything that can keep you ossupied after work? Sometimes I find I am most burned out when I come home and veg, or even do housework, etc. Sometimes the best way to unwind is to have some fun!
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Take a step back and find out the real reason you feel down. You seem to have direction and goals but is it the job you are in? Are there just too many dogs in your day that you can handle with comfort? Do you have all these down feeling during your off time from work. If you are feeling down on your weekends then this might have nothing to do with grooming and your career. You might neeed to seek the help from a Doctor to find out why you are feeling like this. It might be hormonal and chemical imbalances in you. Try also using a multi vitamine. Exercise has also worked for me. Pinpoint the reason you feel the way you do and find a solution.
              Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Take a vacation, even if it's only for a weekend.

Comment

I agree with Scullysmom; maybe you need to do a few less dogs for a little while so you don't feel overwhelmed. Everyone has their moments where they aren't happy with their grooms, we all have our off days. Maybe you're being overly critical with yourself, being relatively new? If you really love grooming then it will get easier in time, do your best & keep learning. And make one of your days off as enjoyable & relaxing as possible. I do this with my Sunday-I sleep in and do nothing I don't want to. It's done wonders for my sanity(such as it is). Good luck to you!

Comment

Remember also that school is different from the "real world". In school you are expected and allowed to make mistakes. In the real world at a real job it is not so accepted. Take a step back and look at what you are doing. Do you have a routine? This can really help w/your time and assure that you don't forget something like toenails or ears. Is your boss happy, or are you suffering from perfectionism like most of us? It also sounds like you may be trying to do more grooms than you can realisticly handle. See if you can't do a dog or two less a day until you get a little more experience under your belt. Speed comes naturally believe it or not, but you have to get "good" first.

I think most of us went through this period that you are going through. Some of us had the blues while we were at school, and some of us had them after we graduated. Stick w/it though. If you quit now you will never know how great you can be! Come to us if you have any other questions about technique or anything else, this is a great place to aire your problems because whe have been there and done that. Chin up and hope that today will be better. Let us know!
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Hang in there!!

I am working in a shop and going to grooming school right now and I find that I am more bold and an all around better groomer with the dogs in school. In the shop I have little confidence and my dogs never come out as good as I know they should. My boss/mentor pointed that out to me.

Hang in there! You just need to keep telling yourself that you can do this!! Confidence helps!!

Comment

Scout---I noticed that you are from Michigan---maybe its more about the winter blues than grooming, which in turn is easy to blame on grooming.

Do something nice for yourself, go to a fun movie and laugh, go shopping, a pedicure----let someone wait on you for a turn!!

Comment

I agree with everyone else, that maybe you should ask for more time to do your dogs. I know and was and am feeling overwhelmed because I feel somedays that I have too many dogs to do correctly in my eight hour day but it falls on deaf ears. It depends if your employer is more focused on quantity than or quality. Sometimes it's hard to find that happy medium because they do have bills to pay and they have to get so many dogs groomed to pay hose bills, while you are struggling to learn, do it right and make a living.

Comment

You Know, one thing I always told my students and employees,,,If you get up in the morning and dread going to work...you are in the wrong PLACE! Maybe not the wrong occupation, but in the wrong shop situation.

That holds true for me too. After 40 years of grooming, I can tell you that only once did I ever feel this way, for the month before I purchased my Gilbert Shop. It was purchase the shop (which was for sale) or leave and do something else. I couldn't handle the mis-managment of the current owner. I did get up dreading going in! AND I love grooming! The stress was just too much for me, and this was like 9 years ago, so I know it wasn't the grooming part.

Part of my problem is my personality, I'm and ENTJ, and that is bad enough, but just let me be not the one in control, and It will drive me crazy, with the ineptitude of others.

Not knowing just what your dreading, or what your being criticized for makes it difficult to formulate a plan. But the gals here have some great ideas.You need to have a comfort zone, and you need to focus on one thing to do better on, until you have it down pat, then move on to the next thing on your list.

Comment

Thanks!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I am going to try your suggestions and see if that helps... THANK YOU!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X