Fine hair dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine hair dogs

Hi- I,m new to the message boards and also sort-of new to groomings (1.5 yrs). I groom by myself so I have a couple of questions for you more experienced groomers. 1. blow drying fine hair dogs seems to get me in more trouble with knots then before I began. I seem to be missing a link between bathing and grooming Blow dry or Not? Thank you.

I always force dry.

Some things to consider: If you have to hold the dryer at an exact distance, too close or too far and you can get whip knots where the hair knots back up.

Comment

I was always taught to only blow the fine haired, drop coated breeds (yorkies, shih-tzu, malteste etc.) and westie skirts and/or any kind of body furnishings in the direction of the hair growth to lessen the whip knots. ie: when doing say the skirt/belly area point it downwards. It doesn't matter much which way you blow when their shaved short.

Comment

take the nozzle off the hv and blow dry it that way. it will lessen the whip knots. or fluff with a stand dryer.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I don't HV....

fine, long coats. I wash, and squeeze, not rub, as much water out of the coat as I can. You can get a surprising amount out that way. Then, depending on what else is going on, I'll usually put the dog in a crate wrapped in a dry towel, or if it's warm, under a fan on low for about 15 minutes. I finish drying with the stand dryer and a brush. Fine hair usually dries very fast, so I don't find the HV neccessary, but that's just me.

Comment

I blow "up and forward" and usually do incur a few whip knots, but a Les Poochs mat-zapper brush takes care of these in seconds, so no harm done.

Comment

I really prefer to dry fine haired drop coats with a stand dryer. Like mentioned before they don't take that long to dry and the hair falls nicer.

Comment

I like to towel dry, then force dry the longer the hir the farther away you have to hold the nozzle. I just separate the hair with the dryer so it is not all clumped together, Then I use the stand dryer to fluff dry the coat, Cage drying will make the hair curl and not look as fluffy, with a thin coat you need all the help you can get.

Comment

Working...
                X