Petco (to go or not to go) Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petco (to go or not to go) Please help

I visited my local shelter today to sign up to volunteer, they told me I could bathe as many dogs as I wanted and they also had some dogs they wanted me to groom isn't that great. My question is when I was there one of the employees said that the petco in my area had closed its grooming shop due to lack of groomers. should I apply as a grooming assistant or stay away, how long should one train before taking on a job? I know I can do the basics I have been training for 2 months I have more of a lack of confidence than anything, any help would be great.

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:35 AM.

Comment

working for a particular petco isn't any different from working some where else. your experience will be determined by store management.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I would apply, They also have a school that if they feel you need it they will send you. Could be beneficial for you
        "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
        Nancy

Comment

Options

I think there is a consistant theme here of grouping petsomethings. As an employee I just want to introduce a few thoughts.

When there is a survey on customer service that customers take, and one store is rated #20 and another one state away is rated #700, is it fair to judge them as one? I dont think so. I am just pointing out that just as peoples skills and personalities vary, so do petsomethings salons. I will also go as far as to say that ABC salon isnt going to be exactly the same as K9grooming one town over.

What I suggest is treating a salon as an individual. I know there are opportunities to going with a corporate company who will pay YOU to get a grooming education and certificate. Is this the way everyone should do it? Thats all a very personal choice. I wouldn't suggest limiting your options without first knowing what you are passing up.

You may find it isnt for you, but you may find it to work perfectly for you at this stage of the game. I talked to a woman who is doing a lot of grooming dogs and has been with the company for more than 5 years. She is happy with her job and was a groomer at a private salon and with a different petsomething before that.

In short, keep your options open until you see what its all about.

Comment

Your confidence will build w/every dog you groom at the shelter. Apply at the Petco! Sounds like they need help. I know they would rather have someone there, no one wants an empty grooming salon. Sounds like the PERFECT opportunity!!!

Comment

I'm wondering if they closed due to lack of groomers if they'd open back up with only a grooming assistant? Maybe they'll send you to training to become a full fledged groomer and open the place back up. Sounds like it would be a great oppertunity and there's no harm in trying. Either way you can see what happens.

Comment

Assistant to?

That could be the problem, who would you assist if no groomers? A store where I worked lost groomers for a bit, but kept the assistants/bathers who bathed a lot of dogs. Many a bath only dog came in there. Then if you can get approved for shaving and tidy up clipping for bath dogs, you could really be an asset to the store.

As all have said, the stores can be good, or not, just like any salon. Depends on whos in them and mostly the management. I'd go talk to their store manager and see what might work out. Some do hire Sat. only or such too.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

You will never know unless you try.

Comment

after many yrs of grooming in small shops and large kennels basicly running things myself I decided to try the corp companies.yes they have schooling however they aslo have strict guidlines for safety that have to be followed .I thought this would be wonderful to work for a company that pet safety was a 1st priority.unfortunetly groomer safety seamed to be completely ignored when they created these pet safety guidelines and required equipment to ensure these rules.they ideas that are being created within the schooling although make sense to someone who has not had true grooming experiences to many groomers like myself tend to be simply idiotic and rediculous.such as velcro quick release noose latches.to any groomers that are required to use these should understand my reasoning of disatisfaction with these required attachments.dog pulls to hard then it releases the dog from the arm .now these were designed for pet saftey .and I have to ask how safe is a noose that unhookes itself at any sign of struggle.scenario dog doesnt want its nails trimmed pulls to bite you and the velco releases . guess who just got bit.it wasnt the manager or the ones who make the rules.it was you..
                    another idiotic invention that is required the double noose 1 clip on 2 leads attached the the pet one around the neck the other aound the tummy area. connected to 1 arm .also a required tool .this noose allows the pet to turn around completely on your table and this noose is required for large breeds .these were also created to keep the dog from hanging themselves or pulling to choke themselves.but lets be honest its lack of common sense that cause these incedents not the tools being used to confine the pet on the table.so instead of teaching common sense they created pet freindly tools that are dangerous to the groomers.thier motto ..pets come first..common sense tells you .you dont matter and as long as they can make the money off of your labor you wont ever matter..you want to learn to groom ??great!! find a good groomer or grooming school to learn how to be a safe and good quality groomer.because to be honest in my past positions if petsomething is on your application as a reference and your applying for a job with me I wouldnt hire you due to their training or lack of.after seeing this first hand it just made my beleifs more firm.

Comment

Their are a lot of great Petsomething groomers out there. Don't let the Petsomething bashers like these hold you back from an opportunity. When I applied the woman that was going to teach me was a Nash graduate. You'll learn from a lot of different people from a lot of different educational backgrounds. Granted I didn't take the position because I had the opportunity to go to school. I'm most likely going to work at a Petsomething when I'm done though, and hopefully they'll still send me to their school. I would love to learn from a lot of different people. You have to start some where and that seems like a great start. If some people won't hire you because of a Petsomething and not based on a test of skills it's there loss.

Comment

Go for it, you never know what kind of trainer you'll get, but remeber outside learning helps alot, dog shows, seminars, and lets not forget this board
                        Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Yes petsomthings have rules but you can still learn to goom safely and be a great groomer. While they are no longer connected, I was trained at Pargon to work for a petsomthing. They were the ones who sent me and they had sent both my manager and the other manager I interned under to Paragon for advanced training as well. In case the name dose not sound familar. Paragon is the school run by Melissa Verplank author of "Notes". So I will never let anyone say I was poorly trained.
                          So while you have to work within certain rules the local managment(and their common sence) is the key just like any salon out thier. ANY salon with bad managment can come up with bad,stupid,unsafe,and just plain crazy ideas its not limited to corprate shops.
                          Take charge of your own education and seek out the opprotunties that will allow you to grow regardless if its privite, corperate or a humane society.

Comment

I actually got my start as a Groomer working at a Petco..

I was hired to stock shelves, run a register, etc..
                            I would take my breaks in the grooming dept just so I could meet the mutts!
                            The grooming manager was the Only groomer and was going nuts trying to run the shop by herself.. I mentioned my Navy Barber expirence to her and she offerd to talk to the store manager to have me transferred to grooming.
                            The next day, I was under her training.. I never went to a grooming school.. It was all OTJ training for me.
                            Meaning, I dont think it matters much how you gain your expirence or grooming education, as long as you pursue it and make the best of what you recieve!

Comment

Working...
                            X