Anal Glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anal Glands

I know this is a topic that comes up often, but I have a question. I have expressed my dogs glands for a few years now, I do any rescues that I bathe too.
    Which leads to my question. I epressed the pom mix rescue that I have right now and I could swear there was worms in his glands. I thought, Ok his glands came out easy. I have seen thick tooth past like stuff, which one of my poodles has, and a different array of stuff thats come of of that area from different dogs. BUT this dog, I swear it was worms, I went to touch to see the texture, and it felt like a worm. Yuck. He was dewormed a week and a half ago. They did not look alive.
    Has anybody seen this before???

This question has come up before, and try as I might, I can't find anything about worms in anal glands. I suspect what may have happened is that there were dead worms in the dog's anus, and when you expressed the glands, the worms were expressed at the same time.

Comment

Oh my!

I cannot ever ever do that! I do it to my dog but thanks to this post I will never do it after I deworm! I will go to the vet if I have to! UGH! You have a strong stomach!

Comment

Yuck, I could never touch the worms.!!! Even after expressing glands I hurry and rinse off my hand and the dogs butt.

I can clean up dog vomit, poo but worms and anal glands that's another thing!!!
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Edited.
          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I agree with the worm theory already "expressed" by the others. I'm also a germ nut and use latex gloves when doing the anal glands or anything that is really dirty.

Comment

Has anyone heard or tried this?

I heard that you csn wipe buttie with witch Hazelafter expressing buttie or soiled bottom... Does not sting and gets rid of odor/ Helly? heard of this?I avoid them and send to vet. In Ca. I have seen yucky worms ooooh. Can't go there....Fleas caus e some...Az no fleas for me.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                I agree with the worm theory already "expressed" by the others. I'm also a germ nut and use latex gloves when doing the anal glands or anything that is really dirty.
                could it be tapeworms? the segments crawl out that way anyway, maybe they just got launched before they made it out on thier own?

either way... EEEWWWWW!!!!

Comment

LOL, you guys are funny. I thought groomers could handle this stuff. I know its not tapeworm, for sure. Seen that. I suppose I could have smooshed some worms out of the anis. Thats a possiblity.
                  I was looking for this thread, I forgot which section I had put it in. I don't know why this does not bother me. Trust me, if I was shown a bloody mess. I'd want to faint.

Comment

Sometimes the anal "juice" looks kinda lumpy like maybe worms...maybe that could bo it?

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input, I ahve good news about this little pomeranian. He has a new home as of today. WoooHooo. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X