books about "holds"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• books about "holds"?

Hey all, I'm currently going to school, and after a week, I realize that I could use a lot more basic information about ideal "holds" to put on dogs to help control them on the table.

My instructors have shown me a few.. holding my hand under the rear belly area, grasping the beard (if they have a beard), and cupping the muzzle. They've said to never scruff the neck...

It seems like there must be many more useful "holds" to put on dogs.. so any help steering me to a good book or recommendations would be appreciated

Other than the loneliness and boredom, (and not getting along with one of the instructors)..school is going ok. I do feel like I'm learning a lot.. only 5 weeks to go! (it's a 6 week program).

Vet techs learn a lot of restraint techniques, but they aren't very practical in a grooming situation, unless you have one person holding and another doing whatever needs to be done.

Two techniques you might find useful, though; if a dog is dancing while you're trying to work on a foot, lift the opposite leg. That will usually keep the foot you're working on down, on the table.

The other one is a little more difficult to describe, but I'll try. When working on a front leg, I grasp the leg with my left hand (I'm right handed) my fingers around the top of the leg, on the front of the leg and fingers locked behind the elbow. I lay the leg on my forearm to support it. Then I can clip both sides and the front of the leg, and the dog cannot pull his leg back. If that doesn't make sense, the next time you visit your vet, ask the tech to show you how to hold off a vein. It's pretty much the same hold, I don't put pressure on the vein with my .

I've also found that sometimes less restraint works better. I'll often lift a paw and let the dog rest it in the palm of my hand, rather than trying to hold the paw. They don't seem to mind it nearly as much as grabbing and holding their paw with your fingers.

Comment

My suggestion would be to read everything you can on canine structure and anatomy. Many times certain holds won't work due to the way the dog is put together--even if it's the same breed, but has some confirmational fault. IMO handling is the most difficult thing to learn--it takes time and patience. Watch the Dog Whisperer too

Comment

That's funny when we went to school they taught us to "Scruff the neck" of uncooperative puppies to keep them still and calm them, but some people find it cruel. Older dogs however aren't used to being scruffed anymore. I took a veterinary assistant course where they showed some restraint holds but like Helly said there no good unless you have two people using them, which we do sometimes with nails.
        Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 02-06-07, 03:54 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Edited.
          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:57 PM.

Comment

One thing I've noticed is if you hold dogs around the muzzle or hold the skin under their chin, (gently, don't pinch lol) they don't struggle as much as when you hold the beard hair.

This goes for people, too, one time I grabbed ahold of my brother's beard and told him " No!" (He used to have a long jesus-style beard) and he didn't find it too funny.

Comment

Don't scruff? What about puppies? When they have a hard time with having their face scissored or clipped, I will gently scruff it, lift it's front two feet off the ground and 75% of them will squirm very little. After doing this for 2-3 grooms, problem solved, and the dog lets you scissor or clip its face without a problem.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

How do you handle those dogs that stiffin up - all 4 legs spread eagle and flat on their bellies? (I supose this might be where that groomers helper comes in handy, but I need a quick fix for now) I have 2 Shih Tzu's and a Yorkie that do that to me and the only way I can get anything done is to scruff the neck, hold them up and clip as fast as I can.

Comment

Try picking them up under the belly and rear with all four paws off the ground and holding them in the air until they relax and straighten the legs. Then slowly and gently set them down. Try not to touch under the tummy right away. Also, are they freaking because they see the front edge of the table. If it's a small dog, loosen the arm clamps and move the arm to the center of the table to force the dog back--a must for those that "have" to hang over the front--and a little easier for spinning yorkies.

Comment

Scruffing works on puppies because Mom picks them up that way (or takes their whole head in her mouth), and they just go limp and get carried wherever Mom wants to take them. So it's a natural response for them to relax and just hang their.

That reflex goes away as the dog matures. If an adult dog grabs another adult dog by the scruff, it means something totally different, and the battle may be on.

You also have to be very careful about how you grab any part of the head on a brachycephalic dog, lest you pop their eyeballs out.

Comment

Good Luck

Hi Diemonster - Glad to see you are posting during school. Sounds like it is going along fine. The problems you are having seem to be normal and make me want a groomers helper all that much more. Do you use the GH in school. I heard Nash had those? Most groomers I've watched grab the beard area and the dogs quit struggling. I think the confidence you have goes to the dog also and they will stop sooner than someone who is not so confident yet.
                      Dogs will dance I guess that is just part of it.
                      Can you post some before and after pics of your first grooms? That would be cool and we can see what fun you are having
                      Keep us updated on how your doing!! Thinking about you, 5 more weeks thats awsome.

Comment

My course went form OCt till Jan and I found that I got better with handling dogs and some dogs are really just impossible. I would love a lips or grooemrs helper but right now it is not in the budget so homemade will have to do for now.

Comment

Thanks, y'all

We don't have a groomer's helper, at least not in the Kentucky location. I hear Nash New Jersey uses them.

I've taken a much-needed 3 day break from classes.. so I'll be going back on Friday.

So far I don't mind working with the dogs at all (though it is very tiring compared to my normal desk job!). Only 4 more weeks until I don't have to be away from my family any more! (I never dreamed I'd miss being home with my hubby and kids as much as I do!).

Comment

Working...
                          X