Breed Flash Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breed Flash Cards?

This is going to sound crazy to you experienced groomers, But I'm not really good at being able to point to a dog and know what breed it it. In my pre-school studies, I'm going to be reading/studying "The Complete Dog Book" (etc).

I was thinking of making Flash Cards, before I put all this effort into making them myself, I was wondering if they already exist somewhere?

thanks!

I believe you can get something like that at Whitedogenterprises.com (similar to Notes from the Grooming Table"

Comment

hehe. I just got a funny pic in my head. Someone is going to walk in your shop and you won't talk to them cauz you will be shuffling through your cards to figure out what breed their dog is. Sorry, it is funny in my head. Sick and twisted place to be in there.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

if you make up the flash cards yourself, your retention will be better
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Good idea!

Edited.
          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Have you been to a dog show?

That is always a great way to learn breeds.Take the breed book with you.

I had something similar, pamperedpups. A lady brought her dog in and I said Gee it looks like a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. She said no one had ever guessed her dogs breed before.

Never seen flash cards but won't be long before you'll know all of them Misblue. When ever I see a breed I'm not familiar with I look them up on the Internet. Had a Italian Podengo once. Lots of information and pictures on the internet. You can also just take the Complete Dog Book and go through it page by page during any down times. Heck I can even recognize a Labradoodle now-a-days but you won't find them in the AKC Dog Book. You will though find them on the internet.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I think that the white dog breed reference cards are like 8 1/2 x11 if you are interested in them. I think that it would be a great idea to make trading card sized breed reference cards. Pampered's idea of using the photos from akc is really neat. You could print them out on card stock with a simple computer program.

Also, I was just at Barnes and Noble today and noticed that they were selling a card game that used the photos of akc dogs. I think that it was an UNO card game. I don't know if it showed all of the breeds, but you might want to check that out. I think that it is really neat that you are so consiencious and motivated to serve your clients so well. Very neat!

Comment

Edited.
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:07 PM.

Comment

If your going to be making the them yourself, how are you putting the pictures on them? Just wondering because I wanna make some myself. I'll most likely try to buy them though.

Comment

I used to read the Complete book of dogs when I was little for fun. It was the only book I think I have read a hundred times. Anyway, the book was great, but watching the dog shows was better. I still try to name the breed before the announcer does.

I did see a pack of cards with breed information on them when I was Christmas shopping this year, but it wasn't very many breeds. Good Luck and great idea!

Comment

The Westminster Kennel Club dog show is going to be on the USA network on Feb 12-13. That is a great way to see all the breeds. I still watch old tapes of Westminster, now for handling skills more than anything but they can be a good source of learning. Good luck.
                      Shannon

Comment

I created my own flash cards. I used pictures from the Canine Chronicle and then put information such as breed, origin, original purpose and some trim information on them. I pretty much knew my AKC breeds before getting started but now I'm working on FCI breeds.

Comment

We had to make Flash Cards in Grooming School. I went to AKC.org and printed off the entire list of breeds on card stock, cut them and memorized them:-) It was alot easier than having to write cards...I took the lazy way or was it the smart way?

Comment

Show season's starting again; get out to some shows when you have time. Take your Complete Guide, buy a catalogue at the show, spend some time ringside, watch the groups being judged, wander the grooming area, etc. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with so many different breeds, plus you get to see them groomed and presented properly.

Comment

You can order a large poster from the AKC (reasonably priced too) with all the AKC recognized breeds broken down by the seven groups. It was a great learning tool for me when I was in grooming school.

Comment

Working...
                              X