Just Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Getting Started

okay, i am thinking about grooming.. i do my own dog and i do a couple of friends dogs for them. my question is do you HAVE TO be certified or licensed to do this as a business.. i know you of course have to have a business license, but what about certification?

help!!!

If you live in the US, you don't have to be vocationally licensed or certified in any state, at this point in time. A few states require you to have a USDA license, though.

What you do need is a thorough knowledge of grooming, including at least some breed standards, sanitary procedures, humane handling techniques, canine behavior, safety and health issues (both canine and human), OSHA requirements, and some knowledge of business management.

If you groom your own dog, and a couple of friend's dogs, (you make no mention of breeds, or what "grooming" them entails) and that's the extent of your knowledge, you probably don't have the necessary training to be a successful groomer, unless you intend to run a "Shave 'em down & ship 'em out" shop.

Comment

thanks for the info!!! No, i realize that i am not experienced enough to be a successfull dog groomer right now. thats why i asked about the certification. i have had a few more people call and ask me to groom their dog, but i do not want to run into any legal issues by doing so. most all the dogs that i have done just want a trim, but i do the the occasional owner that says, "just shave em." But just to clarify breeds,as you stated in your post. i raise yorkies, so i have been grooming yorkies for a few years now. i have been grooming lhasa apso for almost a year, and shih-tzu are the main breeds that i do right now. occassionally, a pit bull or german shepard. but most all of these dogs belong to close friends of mine. and they trust me.
      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by yugi View Post
        okay, i am thinking about grooming.. i do my own dog and i do a couple of friends dogs for them. my question is do you HAVE TO be certified or licensed to do this as a business.. i know you of course have to have a business license, but what about certification?

help!!!
        No, you don't have to have a certification. But I do think if you're new to the profession it would help to get you started especially if you don't have alot of other hands on experience. I had been grooming off & on for a long time, but when I actually started my own biz, I had alot of people ask where I got my experience - if I had any schooling, had I worked in another groom shop and - if so for how long?, etc. So you will want to have at least one of those, I would think, before you start a business. Most people care very much about their pets and are careful about leaving them in the care of qualified hands. You can start by taking an online course amongst many other things - it is a place to start anyway. Plus you, yourself, want to be confident about what you're doing and what you know. Especially with a customer who has a ton of questions or drops off a pet with alot of issues. Good luck!

Comment

I would take a course, I used to think that I knnew quite a bit, I groomed our poodles for years and my yorkies...

Well school opened my eyes! Majority of dogs do not always behave like they should, there are so many types of breeds and people are VERY particular...they know what they want and how it should look and I needed to skills to do that.

You will learn more then you realize.

I am currently opening my first shop...I needed a business license, sign permit, occupancy permit, insurance, zoning permit, town permit...that is all I can think of for now. It took a year to save the money to go to school, 5months to get the business plan written properly, 4 weeks for renovation and I only have 2 1/2 till we open, yikes!

Good luck! I would suggest of calling and asking several grooming shops if you could spend the day there and see if you like it or not. Grooming is fun on well behaved dogs but the ones that like to nipple, poo on the table, scream, bark in your face and table dance, they make you wodner some days...lol

Comment

Edited.
            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I was fortunate to have several awsome and very successful groomers as close friends who I have apprenticed with over the years. If you can find a really experienced groomer to apprentice with who is also a good business person, you will really be able to learn a lot about grooming and running a successful grooming business. I hope that you have lots of success!

Comment

Working...
              X