Starter's grooming supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter's grooming supplies

I am currently enrolled in the Nash Academy (in NJ) taking the online courses and will be taking the practical beginning in April. I have the option of purchasing the school's toolkit for $700 or I can get my own. I've reviewed various grooming supplies websites & I've priced most of the items and it all comes to approximately $550. Should I go through these lengths to save $200 or should I buy the school's kit? If I take the initiative and get my own tools, I assume that I should put my money in getting a good clipper, blades and shears. Any thoughts on particular brand(s)?

There are some items on the list that I've not been able to find and would appreciate your sage advice on what I should be looking for or suggstions for acceptable alternatives;

Warner type slicker brush (the list also has a Universal slicker brush which I've found)
    Hearing protection - are these ear plugs?
    What is the difference between a safety loop and safety lead? (I need both).

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

well depending if your going to work in a shop you wont need any nooses those are supplied in the shop. the hearing protecting ive never used. I ve put cottn in my ears but I hate how everything sounds all muffed I know thats what its suppose to do but thats me. On buying equipment it depends on you what feels right inyour hands might not fell right to a more experianced groomer. if your going to save 200.00 on buying t your self then put the extra 200 in to better clippers and scissors make sure you have a least two of each blade 10, 40, 5, 7, 4 ect.. youll always need extra 40 they always semmed to break a tooth off and always check those blades daily for just that. So if your talking the home course how does that work. do you read alot and how do you practice. when your done with your course or even before you need to go work in a shop starting as a bather/brusher get hands on. I wouldnt jump into grooming just from a course even if you go to a grooming school that doesnt give you enough knowledge to start grooming a dog. I started 17 years ago as a bather did that for while did tidies and some stip downs got the experience and confedence thats needed to be a good groomer. I have a groomer thats groomed for 6 years and still doesnt have the confedence to do some clips I can do any dos,clip with my eyes closed well not closed. but I dont panic at all. hope this helps even if only a small portion I know how us groomer dont like to be told certian things about them...

Comment

buy your own and spend the extra $200 on a Groomers Helper. That is a necesity. It has saved me quite a few times from being bit. If I have the slightest feeling that I don't know how the dog will act or I don't trust them. They go on the GH. Better safe than sorry. I got a lot of stuff off Ebay and saved a ton of cash.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Supermutts - The online courses are the theoretical courses - anatomy, training, basic grooming, etc. I will be doing the practical part at the school in April and working on actual animals. Thanks for the advice.

Lisa - I saw your post on the Groomer's Helper and actually looked into it. It seems like a very useful tool. I'll consider your advice. Thanks a mil.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmama View Post
          Supermutts - The online courses are the theoretical courses - anatomy, training, basic grooming, etc. I will be doing the practical part at the school in April and working on actual animals. Thanks for the advice.

Lisa - I saw your post on the Groomer's Helper and actually looked into it. It seems like a very useful tool. I'll consider your advice. Thanks a mil.
          Oh, definately get the Groomer's Helper. Unless Chuck has changed his policy, you can use it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund. What have you got to lose? Besides the spinning, chasing dogs around the table, and the bites?

Comment

Get the groomers helper. I could not dop with out it. Call Chuck and see if they still have the payment plan
            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
            Nancy

Comment

Buy your own, invest the extra $200 into better shears.

Comment

Don't invest in expensive shears until you know what you're doing. I dropped my shears a lot in the beginning and if I had expensive ones I would have fainted. I suggest an Andis (single speed) clipper, it is very quiet and light and doesn't blow hair in your face like the oster does. I prefer oster blades, and would suggest dbl duck 6 1/2" curved and 8 "cstraight shears to start. It doesn't really matter how expensive your shears are if you don't know how to scissor!

Comment

If you buy your stuff from Pet Edge and spend 500 you get free shipping. A universal slicker is the best basic brush money can buy. I also reccomend a groomers helper, as for shears the Master tools set in Pet edge is a really good deal and they cut great. you get 3 pair of shears for $79 Good for newbies.
                  Try to find a job that will start you as a bather and let you do occassional grooms at first and then move up to a full time groomer if you prove you can do the job.

Comment

The Nash tool kit is pretty basic. It includes Geib Gator shears, andis 2 speed clippers, ect... I'd buy your pieces individually and use the extra $200 to upgrade some of the equipment. PM or email me if you want more info on what's in the kit.

Comment

Congrats on School! I will be in an apprenticeship program in a month and I am so excited about that! I am also purchacing my own tools. I hear the andis clippers with the lights are very popular. I wonder if anyone can comment further as I have no experience with this. GOOD LUCK! FUN FUN!

Comment

You will see the value of the Groomers Helper at Nash

4Newfs,

You are going to a Great School. Nash has them on all their tables and teaches you how to use them. You can buy them from Nash or I will give you a special discount for being a student there.

Do you own 4 Newfies? If so do you want a job when you get out of school?
                        Anybody who brushes and combs 4 Newfies on a regular basis must have forearms like a pro wrestler.

The Gators are recommended because they are heavier. Learn on them and switch to a lighter pair when you get good and you become Edward Scissorhands.

Look at the equipment on an individual basis. We all know what brush, comb, and nail clippers to get. How about clippers. I love the Bravura by Whal. They are the bomb! Good luck and tell Joe at Nash Chuck says hello.

Comment

I think Gators are great shear, I still use them often.

Comment

Can someone tell me the website to buy the groomer's helper? I can't find it.

Stephen Note: Can't find it?? Did you try the Yellow Page links in the left column of all pages of this board. Did you try the Classified Ads, link in the left column? Did you try the PetGroomer.com Home Page, link in the left column? Did you try the Google box at bottom of every page?

Comment

Forget the GH, just use two nooses, one from the loop and the o ther attached to the arm, it costs about $6. I have been doing this for years!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X