Stools with Rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stools with Rollers

I have noticed that my back is often sore once I leave school. I do adjust the table height accordingly etc...

However, has anyone ever used a stool with rollers, like the kind doctors sit on? I was working on a golden doing nails etc... and I was wondering if there would be hazards to using it. Of course I could not be on the stool the whole time as I dont think that I could give a quality groom but just wondering.

I don't recommend the rollers. What's the use? They'll be filled with hair by the end of the day and it'll be permanent pretty quickly. I got a hydraulic barstool with a biiiig padded seat from Target (store or online, I don't remember which) and it's got a big circle base so it's not roller type. It was $60 and it was really easy to assemble.

Comment

I used to use a stool with rollers. The only problem was keeping the hair out of the rollers.

Now I just use a regular folding chair, and turn the table instead of me rolling around it.

And let me assure you, you can do a quality groom from a sitting position. You groom with your hands, not your butt. I have to sit due to health considerations, and it just takes a little getting used to.

Comment

I was totally picturing a different object when I read the title of this thread. I'm so gross.

Comment

I use the rodeo stool with rollers in my van -- it really helps your back and legs a lot. I used to use it in a groom shop and like the others said the rollers get full of fur. In the van, since I clean up after each dog, I really don't have the problem now.

Comment

Now is the time to get used to working while sitting. When I went to school, and at the shop where I first worked sitting was highly frowned upon. I really don't know why, but it was! The result is that 20 yrs later when I want to groom sitting down I can't! And believe me I have tried! So be nice to your body and get used to grooming in a sitting position. As far as stool types I have no suggestions (obviously...lol). I would think to stay away from rollers like others said though, they will become stationary anyway.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by vivilee View Post
              I was totally picturing a different object when I read the title of this thread. I'm so gross.
              OMG ROFLMBO

Comment

I was thinking the same thing....My stool has furry rollers too. Maybe it'll be a new trend. It doesn't roll as good as it used to for some reason....I got mine from PetEdge. It was like 40 bucks. I normally only use it to finish tidying up on a dog and if I'm going to do some nail painting. Everyone's right it does take some getting used to, becuase you're at a different angle. And like ming toy said your face is a little closer to the nipping range.
                Last edited by Stephen; 01-29-07, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Vivilee, your not the only one. I was wondering how big the rollers were and how the dog managed to pass them.

Comment

wheee rolling away!

Yep, if you are going to get a stool for grooming, then for sure, get one that puts your back at the proper curve. The Rodeo chair, mount like riding a saddle [horse] and that's a trick in itself LOL, but it will tip your spine in the proper position.

Sitting in a regular chair or stool lets you sag and slouch, riding a roseo stool keeps you up-right.

I had to learn how to groom from sitting after darn near 30 years of standing...medical reason, but it can be done. I also use a lazy sue table---free wheeling, but that's me.

A rodeo stool for sure. Fuzzy wheels, well, once a week, you simply take out the hair. Hemo's work great for that. Just part of the routine.

Comment

Okay, so I have not been online since I posted this question. You groomers are crazy!!!!!!!! And boy do I love your sense of humor!!!!

I never even occured to me when I posted the title of my thread that it could be misconstrued!

Thanks for all the posts and tips and especially for my Sunday night laugh!!!

Comment

I got a chair from Kmart for 20 bucks and it has wheels. I keep my floor clean as possible when I am grooming. When I get a bunch of hair on the table I grab it and throw it in the trash. That way not much is on the floor. Once a week when I am doing thoro cleaning I pull any hair from the wheels. That chair has really saved my back.
                        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

to bad we cannot sit down while bathing a dog....darn i would REALLY love to do that. my back gets sore sometimes...(and im only 21 yrs old!) and my feet start to hurt...my legs start to hurt...etc...so when i was drying a dog that would take me awhile...i would take the stool and plop my butt down into it! hey your closer in nipping range...but i would just make sure the grooming arm was up high enough so the dogs head isnt easily accessabile to your face. *make sure that the dog is in a comfortable posistion though first!* even with the grooming table up all the way...i would STILL have to bend down when doing feet on a dog! sometimes they just dont go up high enough. so id still end up bending over....what i wish is that every groomer who has a bather has a hydrolic table for the bather to dry the dog on...or a custom made table which is high enough for the average person to NOT have to bend over to dry the dog on the table. the last place i worked solved the tub problem by jacking it up to suit HER height...lucky for me she was only a couple inchs taller than i was...so it suited ME just fine. if i was any shorter though i think i would have had problems and would have had to use a step stool LOL!
                          but yes...definately use a chair...when i start grooming i WILL be getting a chair...i dont care what other people say. its MY back and MY body NOT theirs! if there body isnt giving them a problem who cares if they dont want to take care of it. thats their business not mine. another thing the boss would say was...oh you can use one of my grooming jackets...um...it dosnt fit lady! your like a size 2 and skinny...you can fit into a small/medium sized shirt...I cannot! so therefore your grooming jackets will not fit me! LOL! then she went and bought a grooming smock because it was easier...uh okay..whatever LOL! although with the limited space in her shop there wouldnt have been enough room for two people to groom sitting down anyways...sometimes i had to work on another part of a dog i was brushing if she was scissoring and standing in the spot i needed to be in to brush the dog out. plus who got the ****** table location by the crates? ME!! which was another PITA because if a crate door was open i would end up walking into it. plus id have to walk around HER and HER grooming table to get to the cabinet to get my brush and comb out! boy what a pain LOL!
                          Hound

Comment

I did end up getting the roller chair and I love it! I really like it best when I am shaving the belly, as I can lift the dog up on its back legs and I don't have to lean down to get in all the nooks and crannies. Its a perfect height!

Plus it really is saving my back. Over course, there is no way to sit down the entire groom, but a little bit here and there does help.

Comment

Those roller chairs are wondeful huh luvkitties! I love mine too. I sit whenever I can!! Glad it's working for you. Now if I could just figure out to bathe sitting down like houndlover suggested, I'd be set!

Comment

Working...
                              X