Westies...what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westies...what do you use?

Okay, I'm just curious. In the shop I work at we use a 7F or a 5F on the top of a Westie's back and blend in the skirt with skip tooth or thinning shears. At school, my teacher informed me that the entire world is using a 2 snap on over a 30 blade and this method will require no blending at all. What is the entire rest of the world really using?

I use a #5 usually. I tend to believe the #7 is too short for most westie cuts to look "natural". I then use a stripping knife or even the furminator in a carding manner to blend down.

I have blended with a skip tooth. But it leaves length differences at the line that are apparent on the next visit.

I've never used a snap on with a westie...but I rarely use the snaps anyhow.

Comment

westies

I handstrip if they'll pay for it otherwise a longer guard comb like #1 or longer(pref a "A")--also carding out the coat with coat kings then stripping knives. The longer it is the easier the trim is and also more like the handstripped natural look--same thing on cairns. I don't mind shaving the black scotties with a 7, but I wouldn't on a wheaten. It is just not possible to blend the color change and you still get that even on a westie

Comment

5f, 1 guard on skirt and legs. Thinners and Furminator to blend. Nothing shorter then the 1 guard.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I use a 5/8 blade

Or the 3 3/4, unless they demand shorter. It looks good. I'm doing a Westie tonight that last time (and it's first with me)the owner gushed about how it looked like the show dogs and how she'd wished I'd done her previous Westie.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Yep, snap-on combs fur sure. A #2 leaves a nice length, and comming off the side coat is no problem. I have 2 Cariens that I do a #1 snap in the winter, a #2 in the summer. I even the side coat and legs with a #E or C with the CV.

Using snap-on combs for the side coat simply takes off volume not length persay. Try it sometime.

A lot will depend on the coat texture, too. Some dogs can handle a shorter length, while other look positivley awful. The Westie coat is not suppose to look like a schnauzer, all super short ...look at the show dogs, they actually have a lot of coat over the saddle area. Unfortunatly pet groomers get a little carried away, and yep, zip 'em down and leave a hula skirt.
            Oh well, every one has his or her interpertation of the 'correct' way.

Comment

It depends on the owner's preference...If its up to me I usually go with a #1 comb or up.

Comment

I prefer to use a #4F or a #3F unless the owner requests it shorter. I don't have to blend. Well kinda I do, I just take the blade down part of the skirt. It helps blend it and keep the skirt in instead of it poofing out.
                Becky

Comment

3skip or 4skip w/ taxi vac and lots of carding. Usually takes little blending.

Comment

I also like using SOC's but most owners want them done alot shorter..

Comment

What I use depends on what the owner wants. Most want them shorter, and I use a 4 or 5 skip. I don't have any problem with blending, and haven't found that it grows out badly.

Now that I think about it, I don't have any owners who want the coat left longer than a 4. And a lot of them want the skirt off, too.

Comment

I generally use a 5f and blend with it too. I have no problems blending with it. I also card some before I clip. Most people want it shorter, rather than longer.

Comment

I usually use a 5f unless they want it longer. I blend w/scissors and thinning shears and sciss the legs and skirt.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

I use a 5 sk on the back this takes very little blending if you roll the blade with the grain of the hair which gives more of the natural stripped appearance(I dont do stripping) skim the blended areas with a #1 comb then scissor finish..this is the regular version of this trim if client prefers longer or shorter I improvize accordingly

Comment

I have used everything from a 7 blade (rarely) to a 1 comb. There is no one RIGHT length or blade to use on EVERY dog because each coat has different limitations. Pet Westies can have that very thin coat and red skin...so I try and leave it longer on them. But some dogs have a nice thick coat, so it can be taken shorter. The 'correct' look is usually longer and scruffier than the average pet owner wants anyway. Important thing is to blend a lot, and the longer the back, the easier it is to blend. I agree with everyone else who mentioned carding after the groom...it helps a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X