Teddy bear head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teddy bear head

Hi, I have been grooming for a little under a year now and so far so good. There are some things that are still difficult. The one thing that I can't seem to nail down is a teddy bear head or round head. I really have'nt had any complaints but I don't have a specific way I do them. I would be so much faster if I could get this down. I spend so much time on the head. The most difficult for me are shih-Tzu's and Yorkie heads. Also how do most of you do yorkie ears when your not tipping them. do you cut them to the ear leather on just go over them with the clipper on top. So any suggestions you have let me know. For example if you used a #3 or #4 on the body what would you do with the head if the customer said short round face. same with yorkie.

When I am doing teddy bear heads I use a snap on comb. You usually use one or two lengths longer than what you use on the body, depending on how full you want to leave the head. First you do the top of the head backwards, then lift up the ear and run the comb from there to the nose. Do that on each side and under the jaw. Then you just have to scissor in the eyes and any sticky outies.
    If I am not tipping the ears on a Yorkie, I usually leave them fringie.

Comment

Snap on combs help a lot with heads. Try a comb a couple lengths longer than the body and go reverse all over the head. (Occiput towards eyes, from the chin up the cheeks curving at the top of the head towards the eyes again, from the neck up through the chin, then from the chin around the muzzle to the top of the nose.

With yorkie heads where the ears aren't tipped, you have to kind of ignore the fact that they aren't tipped. If the ears hang down, just hold them out of the way while you scissor. I did have one customer where I used to work and the dog hardly had any hair on his ears, but you were in for it if you tipped them! He had 3-4 little strands that were a good 3"+ long, luckily they liked the face left really long so I didn't risk snipping off the beloved ear hairs.

If the owner wants a really short face, I think they look cute if you do a modified schnauzer face, use the same blade as the body in the pattern you would for a schnauzer, but leave the brows off or very short, trim the muzzle very short as well. On a similar note, if the dog is getting a 7 all over, you can even do more of a poodle mustache and just clip the muzzle with a #4 or #5.

Comment

I am a visual learner, so I printed out a few good pics and made a notebook that I keep in my trailer. That way I always have something to look at.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I hand scissor all teddy bear heads. I trim around the eyes first. Than I start from the back of the ears and scissor a partial circle around to the end of the muzzle leaving the hair at the desired length. I even up under the muzzle. I scissor the sides of the head fairly close, especially around the ears leaving the hair all blended in. I pick up the skull hair and trim it like human hair and blend in into the sides and back. If I am doing short ears on yorkies, I tip them, making them have a westy like head. I also generally comb the top hair on the muzzle back torward the eyes and lightly trim the excess sticking up off, and that gives the muzzle hair a more blended look, and than trim the hair off the top lip, so the hair doesn't go in the mouth.

Comment

I use a Guard on the head of most dogs for a round head. Same as the others here. For a York without tipped ears i use my thinners to trim the outer edges of the ear and all hairs sticking out. This will give a fluffy look.
            Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Oh, one more thing-I hate any hair near the eyes, so I will comb the hair forward, then use my hand on top of the head to smush the hair even further out, scissor, then release. This way nothing hangs over the eyes.

Comment

I use a snap on comb a couple of lengths longer than the body also for round heads. It is a lot quicker than scissors. It used to take me forever trying to even them up so I gave up on it! If the dog is one who doesn't like the clippers near the face then I scissor. I still scissor the teddy bear heads cheeks but use a snap on comb for the jaw.

Comment

teddy bear head

depending on the lenth of the body i usually use a 1/2 inch comb on the top of the head and on the cheeks and muzzle,if the dog is a female with drop ears i just scissor them round or straight across but if its a male dog with drop ears i scissor the ear in to a triangle. knida like the yorkie in the pet edge mag.

Comment

I pretty much do all of the above but it depends on the dog and what the owner wants. If they want short thats what they get. although it kills me to make a shih tzu not look like a shih tzu
                    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                    Nancy

Comment

plushpuppy- Have you seen Shih Tzus done with Schnauzer heads? I think it's adorable and also looks great on Yorkies.

Comment

I struggle some with teddy bear heads too. Takes forever sometimes. I normally hand scissor. I think most of the time I try to leave it too long, so I've been making myself take them shorter which has helped some but it can still take to long.

I'm going to try all of these ideas. Thanks everyone!

Leslie

Comment

I do all the above too, depending on the dog and coat. I also have skimmed and kind of like skulpted the face to roundness if that makes sense. That works well if the coat is really thick like on the occasional Tzu or Lhasa. The teddy bear to me, also has a little visor or some hair left above the eye too. I trim it short, but leave some hair there so the fullness doesn't start under the eye. Alot like the schnauzer clip I guess. It's fun to play with teddy bear faces, and you can really bring out their personalities with it. Don't be scared to try something new - Good luck!

*I attached a pic of one of my Lhasa's with a teddy bear face (I skimmed his cheeks, shaved his nose and under eyes and scissor trimmed the rest, brushing the hair forward above his brow and trimming it short) - but short body. I also like his ears short, it's a cute and mischievous look to me. Most people like the ears left long though.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mary1982 View Post
                            depending on the lenth of the body i usually use a 1/2 inch comb on the top of the head and on the cheeks and muzzle,if the dog is a female with drop ears i just scissor them round or straight across but if its a male dog with drop ears i scissor the ear in to a triangle. knida like the yorkie in the pet edge mag.
                            I love your avatar. I am a pit lover.
                            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Great thread. I have the same problems with Teddy Bear heads. I always spend so much time on the head trying go get them to look good.

I've picked up a lot of new tips. The picture and explanation posted by milhasavilla was a great help.

Comment

Working...
                              X