Time to shop for tools!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to shop for tools!

Who do you all use for ordering stuff wholesale? Do you use american companies at all or strictly canadian? And would anyone mind recommending them? Trust me, I've done internet searches but haven't chosen one I really like (except for the odd american one)

if you shop American be very very aware that if you have everything sent to your Canadian address you will be hit with another bill from Customs. this will have your taxes, duty and brockerage fee, local groomer here ordered about $800 worth of tools and product only to have a $400 bill come, that had to be paid before she could receive her stuff.

Here in Canada I like to shop from Rens pet Depot (only downside to them is when they have a sale by the time I usually get my flyer everything from the sale is sold out), Pet Supply House and I like Deober for sharpening and to buy blades from.

I am lucky because I am only a street away from the US border so I have everything sent to a US depot and then pick it up and do my own brokering.

Comment

If you order from PetEdge, you can ship by Canada Post as well. That way there are not brokerage fees only duty which is basically sales tax plus I think a $5.00 service fee. The only thing with them is some of the larger items shipping is unreal. Also, check out Pupular Pet Supplies in Alberta. If you are looking for a standard table, Costco has a good deal on a RR Rover table. Around 130.00 including shipping.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Sweeeet! I've had alot of trouble finding stuff on the internet. I've already wasted a few hours over the last 3 days comparing prices on things I needed at places that I later found out didn't ship to canada or didn't sell to people without a business license, or that were only retail. Following dead ends til your eyes hurt is no fun!

Comment

I shop around...

I took ove an existing dog business last year, and understand about the start-up prices! We were sold most of the big stuff (table, tub, dryers, etc), but chose to purchase an additional tub and force dryer, which we got from Petedge. The shipping was high, but I still saved about $100.00, compared to Ren's at the time.

As I got more involved in the business I decided that I would try my hand at grooming. I had my groomers teach me bits at a time, and now do most of the grooming myself. I purchased most of my blades and shears from Petedge, and that is because they have the best selection, the easiest site to use, and the best prices. Even accounting for the exchange rates, shipping, and customs fees, I usually wind up paying the same or less than I do at my Canadian suppliers. My favorite shears are from Petedge, a 26-tooth thinning shear (Oster). It works like a dream when scissoring legs on pattern cuts (Schnauzer, Airedale, etc). Good luck!

Comment

Ok, thanks for your advice

I finally decided to go with groomer's choice. So far, I would recommend them. They have a huge selection, they're in S. Dakota which is really close, and their prices are crazy-cheap, especially for the bigger things. And their website doesn't hurt either-you can navigate through it so quickly and easily and find exactly what you're looking for. When you're searching for products you can type in a name description or choose items based on popularity, price, or brand name, so it's really easy, and the pages don't take more than a second to load. And the sales guy responds to emails within probably 3 hours!!! So I like it alot. Definitely check them out!

Actually, they have a brother company that I think provides wholesale prices for pros. (I don't have my business name yet.) So look for that on the site, you'll probably save an arm and a leg on your products

Comment

Just remember, in Canada you need to get your business license and name BEFORE you start ordering eqiupment....because when tax time comes, they will want to know the date you got your license and then you can claim items/suppiles/equipment after you got your business license.

I made that mistake and place a big order a few weeks before I got my name registered, etc...I missed out on $400+ of receipts and eqiupment I could have claimed if I had been more patient and aware.

Comment

Holy, that must've sucked. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by k2p1e View Post
                  Just remember, in Canada you need to get your business license and name BEFORE you start ordering eqiupment....because when tax time comes, they will want to know the date you got your license and then you can claim items/suppiles/equipment after you got your business license.

I made that mistake and place a big order a few weeks before I got my name registered, etc...I missed out on $400+ of receipts and eqiupment I could have claimed if I had been more patient and aware.
                  You can still include it as inventory and depreciate it. It has to fit into the equation somewhere.

Comment

My accountant said it was a common first timer mistake and I was not able to claim it at all...actually my 'Small Business for Dummies' (good book lol) said the same thing. get your biz license first and then shop till you drop!

Comment

i know it's an old thread (HI fellow sask person!)

but i also wanted to add
                      tybrushe.com to the list- they carry K9 competition (Fabulous) as well as CC. they used to carry isle of dogs but are dropping it (for the k9) great to work with and good prices (i love my razer shears from them)

as well as dog daze in saskatoon- NO website for him but he's at some of the dog shows in the province.

Cheers
                      K

Comment

Originally posted by k2p1e View Post

This makes sooo much sense! I don't know if it's the same here in the US, but I am totally going to do this! Thanks a bunch! ~Sdogg

Comment

Working...
                        X