Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to pay for retiring groomer's client list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to pay for retiring groomer's client list?

I have the possible opportunity to take over the client's of a groomer I have been assisting. Has anyone had this experience? How did you calculate a fair compensation for the groomer's client list? Also, how did you communicate the transition to the clients?

is she signing over rights to those clients, in other words is she agreeing not to ever groom them again? Are you getting her phone number?

Comment

Personally I would never invest in another groomers client list. There is absolutely no gurauntee those clients with go to you. Once the other groomer retires they may decided they want to tey the groomer their friend/cousin/uncles brothers sister recomended. All you are getting realistically is a info list of potentiential clients. Not saying that's not worth anything at all, but I would say it's something you may want to conaider all angles before making an investment on.
      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
        Personally I would never invest in another groomers client list. There is absolutely no gurauntee those clients with go to you. Once the other groomer retires they may decided they want to tey the groomer their friend/cousin/uncles brothers sister recomended. All you are getting realistically is a info list of potentiential clients. Not saying that's not worth anything at all, but I would say it's something you may want to conaider all angles before making an investment on.
        I would never pay for a client list either. Clients are free agents.......
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I agree. I wouldn’t pay either.

Comment

Agree with above. NO guarantee at all and you could be left holding the bag.

Comment

Please don't do it. Walk away.
              Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I would pay if . . . the groomer emailed or mailed each of her clients telling them that you were her successor and highly recommending you. I'd want to see the emails. Then I would want her client records, with names, addresses and other info. It only works if the groomer has been organized. If the groomer is the sort of person who memorizes info, but doesn't keep records including type of grooming, fees, etc., it won't be helpful.
                Also, her fees matter. Some groomers who have been around a long time charge low fees. If she charges low fees, no point in buying her list because when you raise the fees, you'll lose a lot of clients.
                Are you able to groom the pets at a similar level to the way she grooms? If you're a beginner, and she is an expert, you might lose a lot of people so no point in buying the list.
                Finally, I'd want personal introductions to her active clients. She'd stick around while you did their first groom, so that she can clue you in to what the client wants, and she would personally introduce you to clients as they came in for appointments.
                For all that, confirmed with a contract saying she will not contact the clients again once you've paid -- after all that, I'd negotiate a fee. So see what she is really willing to do for you. If she's just giving you a bunch of index cards, no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by morrbarb2003 View Post
                  I have the possible opportunity to take over the client's of a groomer I have been assisting. Has anyone had this experience? How did you calculate a fair compensation for the groomer's client list? Also, how did you communicate the transition to the clients?
                  Under some conditions I might buy this, but it won't be much and the groomer is going to have to provide a referral endorsement as well. I wouldn't be excited about it. Buying a location where there is a great business is a different thing. I have done that and it worked fantastic. The list of clients came with it, but just a list? Nothing to get excited about.

Comment

I agree too much risk to spend on this. I want a list that comes with a location and workspace and ready to work. It would have to be very little and you know 123 the idea that the current owner must endorse is right on. Not sure it can be done right. Probably but risky still.

Comment

Totally agree with Emma. And I'm someone who might want to sell someday, but only to someone I can personally show how my clients like stuff etc. So I hope all my work is worth something. Though I would invite the location and equipment in my deal, cause if I sell I'm walking away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                        Totally agree with Emma. And I'm someone who might want to sell someday, but only to someone I can personally show how my clients like stuff etc. So I hope all my work is worth something. Though I would invite the location and equipment in my deal, cause if I sell I'm walking away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        Selling location and equipment with client list is very different from a retiring groomer selling just her client list.
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The retiring groomer and I are brainstorming ideas and your comments have been helpful toward the process. I appreciate both the candidness of "don't do it" as well as the things to consider if I do pay anything for the clients. One way or another I am going to have my own dog grooming business...I'm excited and nervous!!

Comment

Excited for you, I remember being at that stage of my career.

Comment

morrbarb what did you end up doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X