Help anyone, number of regular clients your first year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help anyone, number of regular clients your first year

In a small shop say in a average size town at the end of your first year in business, assuming no customers follow you from your employment, how many customers would you guess it is reasonable to have? Thanks for helping.

ill be interested to hear the responses.

Comment

But for a little reference, my shop with basically no drive by walk ins gets approx 7 new clients a week. Granted of these 7 households some have multiple dogs, cats etc.
      a new business in same situation I'd think will get 2 to 3 new clients. So maybe 150 by years end? Now if you push it, you could increase it by many fold.
      Last edited by Kurt99; 07-09-17, 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

That's a tough one to answer since there are so many variables. What's the population like? What's the general income level of the area? What are the number of registered dog owners in the area? What type of advertising are you doing?

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
          That's a tough one to answer since there are so many variables. What's the population like? What's the general income level of the area? What are the number of registered dog owners in the area? What type of advertising are you doing?
          And how many years ago ones first year of own shop was. I can't remember 30 yrs ago, but know I have always been a busy groomer.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

It is very interesting !

Comment

We have a population of 22,000 within a half hour drive of where I will be. I will have a year plus employment experience when I go on my own. We have a few groomers already, mostly very small shops. I won't be opening real close to any of them. Unemployment is not bad here, new subdivision homes being built still, some are military families as the base about half hour away is very busy. But many commute to jobs as well in a city of about 35,000 half hour to 45 minute drive, so we are sort of a bedroom community for those professionals. So optimistic area.

I will have an advertising budget, remember I am doing my plan now, so I will definitely have a good road sign on a prominent road wherever I lease and advertising budget.

I would be very pleased with 150 by the end of the first year, even 100. So does that sound do-able? Thank you for the comments.

Comment

Then I think you will be pleased, if you do all you are saying and get a good road visible place, I think 100 to 150 is quite reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunkin' View Post

I will have an advertising budget, remember I am doing my plan now, so I will definitely have a good road sign on a prominent road wherever I lease and advertising budget.

I would be very pleased with 150 by the end of the first year, even 100. So does that sound do-able? Thank you for the comments.
                  VERY doable! You'll likely do much better. Especially if you are pushing it. Good luck and JUST DO IT!

Comment

100 by years end is only 4 to 5 dogs a month. That's not enough to pay rent. I would hope that you have at least 20 dogs a week for 50 weeks for a total of 1000 grooms for the year. Now, what percentage of that are weekly, bi- weekly, monthly and every other month grooms is another variable. Right now with those variables in place my list is roughly 350 dogs, including those that are here part time, and those that are only bath dogs. I don't include those that are one time only dogs referred by the clinic side.

Comment

First of all best wishes........do you have competition? As Honey said above there are many variables......but I will add that current customers are your best advertisement. Word of mouth is the only advertisement I have ever used. My situation is different from yours in that I didn't start from scratch but bought bought an established business, however, as time goes by you will naturally lose customers from death, moving away etc so you truly need to be in a mode of replenishing even if you are an established groomer. Last year alone I lost 15 old dogs and had several move away.......I felt like I was starting over........my current customers are jewels and now I have a full load again.

Comment

Most of my clientele was word of mouth too, but when we first opened we did do about $3,000 of local advertising through postal mail, and it worked with a quick 50 or so as I remember!!! We chose best neighborhoods within a few miles of our shop. We also got a great sign on the building. We had 300 clients in 18 months. The road sign showed up well on a commuter route. Most people said someone referred them, or the road sign.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                          100 by years end is only 4 to 5 dogs a month. That's not enough to pay rent. I would hope that you have at least 20 dogs a week for 50 weeks for a total of 1000 grooms for the year. Now, what percentage of that are weekly, bi- weekly, monthly and every other month grooms is another variable. Right now with those variables in place my list is roughly 350 dogs, including those that are here part time, and those that are only bath dogs. I don't include those that are one time only dogs referred by the clinic side.
                          100-150 regular CLIENTS.

If an average groom schedule is 6 weeks (variant 4-8, I'd assume), then each regular gets groomed 8.6 times per year, which works out to 860-1290 grooms in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                            100-150 regular CLIENTS.

If an average groom schedule is 6 weeks (variant 4-8, I'd assume), then each regular gets groomed 8.6 times per year, which works out to 860-1290 grooms in a year.
                            I wasn't real clear. Sorry. Depending on what your overhead costs are and other operating expenses and what you need to clear to pay your taxes, insurances, and living expenses I'm not sure that 100 to 150 clients is enough. It wouldn't work for me but my circumstances are going to be quite different than yours I will guess.
                            Just keep in mind, you are only limited by your willingness to work. It will be slower in the beginning but it WILL pick up as long as you stay positive and keep educating yourself.
                            Good luck to you.

Comment

Well then it depends on all the operating costs, but I am sure the following year there would be a breakeven if costs are reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X