Cages vs. Tethers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cages vs. Tethers?

Who uses what? I have clients that absolutely freak out over their dogs being put into cages/crates. Even though I explain the safety situation...
    Anyone have a cageless environment or use tethers? Just curious.

How about trying something like a rush or express service where you charge a little extra to get the dog in and out without need for a cage. That's what we offer for people that freak out at the prospect of cages. I know there are some people that do cage free grooming but I just couldn't imagine. THe logistics sure seem like it would be a pain in the butt, not to mention a safety hazard.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I don't mean to sound like a toad... (well maybe I do) but I don't cater to drama llamas. All dogs are comfortably crated for their own safety. Period. Don't like it, don't come.
      "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

cageless here

I am cageless and loving it BUT I also have the good fortune to work in a really nice doggie day care. My day starts at 10 am... another bonus for me I am NOT a morning person. I groom dogs one at a time and then they go in a special "holding area" to wait for the owners to pick them up... I have a lot of doodles and they benefit from the 2 to 3 hours of play time before the groom so I get a played out pup to groom and it is soooo very nice. I also now am able to do them start to finish in about 1 1/2 hours so for the most part it is totally cage less ... I do have a few dogs that just refuse to be force dryed and they get a quick blow off with the little Metro air I have and then go into a crate for about 45 minutes while I bath and dry a dunkadog. Also the other thing I love about where I work now is that we dont have dryers that have heat... I use a fan and a mini floor dryer from walmart for any cage drying I have to do. Will state I come home happier and content at the end of even a busy day seeing as I dont have to listen to dogs barking in the crates all day... finally can say I love where I groom!!!

Comment

I used to work at a place with 3 cages, most dog were loose, sitting on counters, or tied. It was horrible! Dogs peeing and pooping constantly. Dogs chewing leashes, getting tangled, There is NO WAY!
          Dogs are safer and cleaner in crates. If they don't want the dog in a crate, they can pay the rush fee with no cage rests.

Comment

I also do not cater

That is, I do not cater to owners who want assurance that their dog will not be in a cage AT ALL. I need to put dogs in a kennel for various reasons, whether it's for 20 minutes or for 2 minutes.

I personally do not like force or blow drying right away on a wet dog, so I at least put a dog in a kennel for 5-15 minutes of drying. It may be simply "air drying", where the dog gets to move around, snuffle into a towel and get rid of excess water, or it may be with a dryer or two (like on a Corgi or a hairy Lhasa that I want to get a little dry before doing the finish drying).

Cageless grooming can be "express grooming" or it can be a cageless environment where the dogs still stay longer. A place could let them run free (ugh!), tether them, or have playpens (cages that don't look like cages, lol). My "express grooming" does not guarantee that a dog is not in a cage, just that they get done as close to straight through as I can calmly manage while answering phones and allowing for customers coming in.

Having clients come in like a beauty salon means that you do less dogs in a day, with far more interruptions of work. This results in less dogs done per day, so each dog should be priced higher. I bought clientele that was quite used to this method, but the pricing was like other salons that don't offer this quick in-out. Although I like some aspects of it, there are noticeable aggravations. I feel that this is a service that is close to a mobile service in one-on-one attention, yet it is in a shop. That indicates that pricing for it should lie somewhere between a shop that has longer stays and the pricing of a good mobile service. At least, that's my take.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
              I don't mean to sound like a toad... (well maybe I do) but I don't cater to drama llamas. All dogs are comfortably crated for their own safety. Period. Don't like it, don't come.
              ribbit...err...ditto.

Comment

"Client pets are housed in secure "condos" for their safety. If this is not ok with you, we are not the shop for you." That is from my policy letter. I have no tolerance for people who cannot stand the thought of Fifi being caged. We have a "free range" shop locally, who lets everyone run together. THREE DEATHS LATER they still do this....no telling how many injuries......no thanks.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I mean I couldn't agree more! Plus, what is the difference btwn your dog in a cage vs. your dog tied to my wall? I'd prefer the cage.
                  I'm thinking about opening Mondays & charging an astronomical fee for private grooming.
                  Thanks for letting me pick your brains... I'm in the midst of a "do-over" with my shop since my partner left. We let many things slide, especially clients attitudes. I have been finding myself catering to things where I'm like WTF?
                  Maybe writing up a policy notice would help.

Comment

I do one-on-one grooming (or more from the same family.) I do have 3 kennels, but since I don't have other dogs here, I leave the kennel door open for the dogs to go in on their own (that like to be in there - some do, some don't.) I have a 30 min. pick-up window once the dog is completed, so most dogs like to play ball etc. while waiting to be picked up. I kennel (or leash) the markers/poops for my own sanity!

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
                      Ditto. I have found that 9 times out of 10 when people tell me their dog will have a "panic attack" if crated, the dog is perfectly fine in a crate. The owner is usually the one with the mental issues over their dog being safely crated.

Comment

Most owners just have odd ideas of their dogs being locked in a dingy tiny cramped cages. Big crates in an airy environment, aromatherapy, music in their own temperature controlled room really put nervous owners at ease, as do the big windows so we can monitor them. We have the mirrors in our shop set so that an owner standing in the waiting room can see into the kennel room and look at their pet without the pets knowing mommy and daddy are there. The pets stay relaxed and so do mom and dad. If the owners still aren't convinced, we do offer and express service at an additional charge that must be stated at the time of the appointment so we can make sure it's not going to interfere with the rest of the schedule. I'd never use tethers. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Comment

I know I'm weighing in late on this, but along with what others have said, there's another really important issue to consider.

I live in an area where not only earth quakes, but tornadoes are an issue. We have sturdy crates for that reason. In both situations, it's the safest place for a pet to be housed.

In other emergency situations, having portable crates that can be carried outside are also a good idea. We do have emergency procedures that deal with quickly getting pets out of the building in case of fire, flood, or gas leak. There are several emergency boxes located around the building that contain (among other things) pillow cases (for transporting cats and small dogs) and kennel leashes. We have a designated area to put them while we wait for help, too.

If you have crates that can quickly be moved from your building, make sure to point out to those Nervous Nellies that those crates (never call them cages) can save their pet's life in an emergency like a fire or gas leak.

Comment

[QUOTE=Debbiedogs;415322]
                            Having clients come in like a beauty salon means that you do less dogs in a day, with far more interruptions of work. This results in less dogs done per day, so each dog should be priced higher. QUOTE]

That may be true for you. It's not true for everyone. It takes me the same amount of time to groom a dog, no matter if they all come in at once, or they come in one at a time. What makes the difference for me is that having one dog to deal with reduces MY anxiety and stress. The lower my stress level, the faster I can work. Even when you factor in the interruptions, I can still get just as many dogs done if I bring 'em in one at a time.

Comment

cyn

I also do not cater to people dogs go ing crates for safty and flea and health issues. If the owner freaks send them home the same way they came.
                              Originally posted by sabiknow View Post
                              Who uses what? I have clients that absolutely freak out over their dogs being put into cages/crates. Even though I explain the safety situation...
                              Anyone have a cageless environment or use tethers? Just curious.
                              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X