Potty Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Areas

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, but for those of you who are in strip malls and such how do you handle taking the dogs out for potty breaks? I am fixing to open my shop in a commercial location but no grass area anywhere. There is a vets office next door and he doesn't have one either. Just wondering what creative ways may be out there that you can share with me.

Thanks!

at dog shows they just have a pen (like a xpen or a actual kennel) and on the bottom plastic with wood chips..could you fix something up like that?

Comment

My old shop was in a strip mall, and while there was a grassy area, it was on the other side of the parkinfglot. I am very uncomfortable taking pets out as you never know-a dog could be running loose or jump out of someone's pick-up and attack you (both have happened to me in the past). My own dog went to work with me, and she had a potty area on newspapers in the back. That's where I let out the clients' dogs. Made me feel a lot safer and there was some "inspiration" there for the pets to get the idea.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

You could make your shop quick. So no one has to be taken out to potty. If a dog is there for just an hour or two they often won't need to go. Build on that, price a bit higher than others since the dogs don't need to be there for 5 or more hours. My shop is like this and people LOVE it. They happily pay a premium (only about $5-$10 more than other shops) for most breeds done in "about an hour." Granted, St. Poodles = 2 hours, full Bichon Groom = 1.5 hours...but 85% of what I do takes 45 min - 1.25 hours. Then, if you get one in that starts a potty dance...let it run around on the floor and pick up after it. I've only had to do that twice in a year so far. Way better than risking a dog getting loose.

Comment

Make one! We have pee pads in certain areas, and also a large wooden box with pheromone scented astro turf.
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

All good ideas

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am looking at purchasing this indoor potty system ( http://www.porchpotty.com/Porch_Pott...ty_p/pps-l.htm ) as I will have my dogs in the shop with me as well and will be good for them too. Looks like clean up and maintenance will be fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by happytailspetspa View Post
              Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am looking at purchasing this indoor potty system ( http://www.porchpotty.com/Porch_Pott...ty_p/pps-l.htm ) as I will have my dogs in the shop with me as well and will be good for them too. Looks like clean up and maintenance will be fairly easy.
              Man that thing is expensive!!! But I would love one in our shop...

Comment

One of the shops I worked in yrs back was also in a strip mall , we took the dogs out back for potty time so if you have a back(door) alley type location with a small patch of grass or a tree that may work for you.

Comment

Alas

There is no alley out back or anything. The porch potty is rather expensive but may be my only option - trying to figure out if I could make something similar. Looks like it would be fairly easy to build a frame and put a cage tray underneath it instead of their bowl. Thinking that I might try it.

Comment

Get creative!

Maybe build something?

Like a giant litter box--with like a gravel/litter mix and plastic lining.

There is one of those potty things at my work and it's gross, smelly, and a HUGE pain to clean. I won't go anywhere near it! TRUST ME!!

OR maybe one of those plastic sandboxes. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to clean and come shaped like cute animals!

hope this helps
                    Last edited by Amanda Panda; 03-20-10, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I read some where to build a rectangle box out of 2x4s put a piece of plywood on one side. Then line the whole thing with plastic like you get at the garden departments. Then you fill it with dirt and roll out a couple rolls of sod and you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X