Ideas for My Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for My Shop?

I currently groom in my basement and it is well... not pretty at all! I rent my home and my landlord is fine with me grooming here, but anything I do design wise needs to be minimal if it is permanent (ie Paint only) and anything else needs to be able to follow me if I relocate. Here's some pictures. So far clients have been exceedingly kind about the space, "You have to start somewhere," with a big smile and so on. Most don't even notice it openly. But I hate it. Any suggestions etc would be very helpful
    Attached Files
    My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

I would start by painting the walls, get some epoxy floor paint and do the floor. Just watch out if you epoxy the floor dont use the speckles because some don't always stick and you dont want a dog walking around eatting them. (I used to be a carpenter and i did a few epoxy floors)

Comment

PAINT PAINT and PAINT! Maybe a pretty soft yellow or green. You could put a curtain rod up on the wall with a coordinating fabric and make it look like there is a window there or better yet, paint a fake window with an outdoor scene

Paint that cabinet to brighten it up and do the floor in a black and white tile (you can get the self-adhesive kind). Make a free standing base and put a human tub on it and put up that wall board that looks like tiles on the wall behind the tub and washer. Most of this stuff is fairly easy to do and won't make any major changes to the space. If you leave, it's actually upgraded the house for the LL. The tub, you can take with you without leaving a mess behind.

Shelves, you need more shelves and pictures up on the walls!

I think just brightening up a bit would help immensely!

Comment

Sorry to be so blunt but I wouldn't be bringing my dog to this.
        You can start with PAINT.

Comment

Believe me, not the worst looking salon I've ever seen by far. I worked in a place that looked pretty similar and was always surprised none of the clients seemed to mind. I think for some people, they don't expect a really fancy place to take their dog. As long as it was neat and clean and smelled fine.
          I would paint as well. You can get some of those 3M wall hangers for some pics if you wanted to temporarily hang prints on the walls. Definitely seal that floor. If it's not sealed you will never be able to disinfect it properly. Bright colors, maybe some plants, even fake ones, warm up a space. My old boss had added a floating laminate floor at the last location because the landlord didn't want the rug ripped up. So when we left all they had to do was pull up the floor and everything under it was fine, though we did use tile by the tubs.
          You DO have to start somewhere. When I started with my old boss we were in what we called "the dungeon" but she was buying an existing business and had a 5 year contract. After that was up we moved to a lovely location and then outgrew that in 2 years and she just moved again into a 2000 sq foot space into an even lovelier salon. But she certainly made it work and has a great place now!
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Yeah it is pretty bad looking down there, but I will be making improvements asap. It actually looks worse in the photos than in person, some of the shadows have made the place look like the walls are stained? This isn't the case. I was also thinking a light yellow, and definitely will be painting the floors. The laundry tub works well for me because I only do dogs under 30lbs and I will be cutting out the divider to make the tub larger.
            My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

paint, paint, paint. Think soothing, spa like colors, nothing too over the top. For the floor I would suggest polishing it, it will look sheek and will be easy to clean up. Add some house plants, make things look more homey than a basement. Maybe add a sink skirt of some kind to the sink?

Comment

Thank you so much Mylady, I almost didn't post these I was so embarrassed... How would I add a floating laminate floor? I think that would make the space look so much warmer than just painting and sealing the concert.

Comment

U dont want to add a floating floor around water unless it is rated for it very few are

Comment

Yellow realy does bounce light , be sure to use a high gloss whatever color you choose,easy to wipe down and throughs light back.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Floating floor...

That's what is in my shop (was installed before I got there) and I HATE HATE HATE IT!!! Of course, it's the cheap kind, but it's not standing up to the abuse. I don't have it in the tub area, but enough moisture gets in the seams to make them turn up a bit and now they are wanting to flake off around where my table and stool are, as well as, near the front door.

I'm going to be pulling it all up and putting down commercial grade vinyl tile instead, however, I may leave it out front in the retail area and just do the tile in the work area.

Comment

Ok so floating floor is a bad idea... how about using foam and or gym padding? My knees are killing me on the concert as is, and I would like something to add a bit of warmth and color to the floors (need to paint it grey per landlord request).

Comment

Get some concrete paint and add some sand to it, this will add texture cheaply and help reduce slippage. You can actually paint the floor one color and then paint lines in a grey (kind of thick) to make it look like grout and you will now have "faux tile" floors.

The next thing I would do is get some curtain rods, cute ones and actually hang Shower curtains (the cute ones with designs) this will add color, appeal and be waterproof.

The next thing you need to do, is get rid of the colored hose and add black, this will make it look less "industrial", also add a nicer shelf above to hold your shampoo instead of the one you have now.

Once you get the floor painted, I would tape off about 5 inches on the wall above the floor, this will create a "baseboard" look and reduce the "basement" look.

Hope this helps.

K

Comment

Thank you Gracy Rose! I started painting last night . My landlord told me it has to be white (changed his mind about color...) so I will be getting some art work to brighten thing up. I am hanging shower curtains as the area I groom in is not the whole basement, just the best looking part. Sad isn't it? Lol well I will post pictures as I progress and thank you all for the great ideas!

Comment

Gotta ask: what the heck is a floating floor?
                              The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
                              ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

Working...
                              X