Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog grooming upstairs??

Hi,

I am opening my first salon. The salon is over two floors. It’s 46sq m set over two floors.

does anyone have experience grooming dogs upstairs? If so will there be complications bringing the larger dogs up / down the stairs?

many thanks

Two things I avoid when choosing my space is metered street parking in a busy area and actually I want a parking lot. Upstairs? No way. Many seniors don't do stairs or even younger people with body issues. Plus some dogs on leads cannot climb stairs and yet they are heavy to carry. Such as long haired Doxies and terrible for their backs too. And yet heavy to carry upstairs.Aged and handicap dogs? We some every week that I would ask to go more than 1 step up.

Are you only going to do the grooming upstairs and customers stay on first floor?

Comment

Thank you for your help. Only the grooming upstairs as it would mean transferring the bathroom from downstairs to the upper floor.

What about putting a ramp on the stairs? This may help elderly dogs etc.

I think my best bet is to move the bathroom though! Any advice on a bathing area? I don’t have the resources to invest in an electrical bath yet.

thanks

Comment

That would be one steep ramp. Look how many dogs don't like ramps to get in tubs.

Comment

How many stairs to the second floor?
          Move the bathing area where? To the second floor?
          Is that 46sq meters? Sorry, off to google how big that is.
          Ramps don’t always work, depending on how steep they are.
          Remember, grooming vans are very small and they get everything into one space.
          Do you have pictures?

Comment

Oh, 46 square meters would be almost 500 square feet. I live in a 500 square foot house. That is plenty of room for a shop.
            How is the space divided? How much room upstairs? Downstairs?

There is also a thread on tiny shops here. Check those out. Lots of cute ideas.

Comment

I agree with Brit. Stairs are also dangerous for you-trying to get that dog up (or down) when he doesn't want to go, or is pulling so hard to get down and out of shop. My shop is 12x12 (outside measurements). I have a tub, toilet, hot water tank and crating for 5 dogs including one large crate. Works well for 1 person.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

If the rent is priced right and this is the common setup in your area you just might have to. Sounds like you’re in another country? And you’re strong enough to do a lot of lifting then as they say, “it is what it is.” If the rent was way below a competitive square footage that was single floored, I’d go for the two story also. But only if it was economically advantageous and I doubt I’d stay for long. Sign short term lease.
                Last edited by Kurt99; 05-19-20, 01:16 PM. Reason: Incomplete thought.

Comment

In my previous salon, I was situated upstairs. It was a nightmare getting big dogs with bad legs up there. On one occasion I had to get an owner to help me carry his Shepherd up with me. It was also dangerous coming down with some of the big unruly rude dogs, I was pulled down the stairs one day by a grossly over weight setter. Thankfully I pulled backwards and landed on my cocyx rather than going forwards and falling down the stairs that could result in a far worse injury.

I will never again work in a salon that is situated up a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmellow View Post
                    In my previous salon, I was situated upstairs. It was a nightmare getting big dogs with bad legs up there. On one occasion I had to get an owner to help me carry his Shepherd up with me. It was also dangerous coming down with some of the big unruly rude dogs, I was pulled down the stairs one day by a grossly over weight setter. Thankfully I pulled backwards and landed on my cocyx rather than going forwards and falling down the stairs that could result in a far worse injury.

I will never again work in a salon that is situated up a flight of stairs.
                    Great to hear. I had worries about it too.

Comment

Any updates are you gong through with it?

Comment

Working...
                      X