your prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your prices

I was looking at the results of the prices thread, the most recent one. It gives low, average, and high prices for different breeds and I wan't surprised by the medium or high ones-I've seen those prices around quite a lot. But the low prices listed on there were really surprising to me. They looked really common too, so I was wondering how people came up with these prices. Do they plan to raise them soon? Are they new groomers or do people keep these rates throughout their careers?

Some examples of prices are $25 for a shih tzu or great pyranese, 15 for a shepherd, 14 for a lab, 10 for a beagle,15 for a goldie (b+b) or 28 for a style and trim as well (which is confusing to me too because I thought you just clean them up a little, not shave them, and a quick trim of stray hairs is included in any b+b isn't it?) A b+b for a standard poodle can be 10, or 30 for a full cut.

Stephen: There are "discount" groomers, not a lot of them, but I have people listing their grooming businesses as "discount groomers." Complete groomings starting at $10 to $15. Some of these mention they are also on Craigslist.

Anyexplanation to these prices (why they're so low) would be much appreciated. To the people charging them, do you have trouble getting by or are you comfortable financially?

Please no comments about "Ugh, why would you charge that much?!? I never do a dog for less than $80, and if you know what's good for you you won't either!" Just positive answers please.

If you don't want to post you can let me know in a private message too, thanks!

These is not an April fool's joke,it's real,and check out all the spelling errors

jacksonville craigslist > community > pets

$10 Dog Baths (monument rd.)
    Date: 2010-03-30, 2:43PM EDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

TIFFANYS CLIP JOINT AT THE FAMILY PET HOSPITAL OFF OF MONUMENT RD AND ST.JOHNS BLUFF!!!!!

I AM OFFERING SHORT HAIRED DOG BATHS FOR $10 BLOW DRY AND NAILS CLIPPED ON SATURDAYS AND WENSDAY!!

ALSO I AM OFFERING BUY ONE GET ONE HALF OFF ON ANY FULL GROOM MONDAY THRU SATURDAY!!!

I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT GIVE ME A CALL AT 904-814-0637

YOU CAN ALSO CHECK OUT MORE PICTRES OF MY GROOMING ON MY FACEBOOK!! [email protected]

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1668788029-0

Comment

I think my prices are fair except I think I charge to low on the bidder breeds for cuts and just b&b. Also I would like to raise my prices for cats. I do fairly well with my current prices but am afraid to raise them. The area I'm in is a rather poor area so I feel like I should not raise prices.

Comment

alot has to do with market. a few years ( 2003) ago I opened a shop in an area about 45 min outside a big city..The prices the groomers were charging was less than I had wanted to set my prices.. I had a job in the big city to carry me so I set my prices where I wanted them. It was hard at first but a year year 1/2 later the other groomers had lurked up to my price range.. they were good groomers but didnt want to upset customers, etc.

fast forward to now.. I am in a different state and new shop.. 6 mos open. my prices for haircuts are the same as they were when I opened the first shop. Its competitive to the market here and one shop is actually cheaper than mine .. It freaks me out to think about that.. 7 years and no raise! I still make better money than I would in another situation but I am in no position to take too much risk either.

like you said some may say I'd never groom a dog for less than $$.. When grooming is your only source of income and people are making pennies bleed.. you take what ya can.. As long as I can cover the basic finances I am ok.

Comment

pricing

Originally posted by TheyCallMeMom View Post
          When grooming is your only source of income and people are making pennies bleed.. you take what ya can..
          (Edited: please remember to not state your actual grooming prices on the board. You can mention how you determine prices, etc, but not provide your actual prices. Thanks)

My cat prices start at $xx for no bath regular groom. I've been told my prices are too high & also that they're too low. Compared to 75% of the places I got pricing from, I'm higher. Personally, I think all my prices should be higher but in this economy it's scary to be the highest priced when I'm relatively new to the area. There are some who charge $xx for a groom with bath, which I think is like shooting yourself in the foot.
          Recently, I failed to book several clients as they felt my prices were way to high. Perhaps it's because more are finding out about me & call and in that percentage some won't be qualified. I have booked other new callers, which is encouraging. In general, I think most groomers charge too little for the extreme amount of work that goes into a groom.
          I pay $45 for my hair to be cut & I've never bit my hair cutter or had to be tethered to the chair. Although, if she tried to express my glands I'd bite!!

Comment

I think people come up with prices based on the prices in their area, how well qualified they are and how much they care about making money.

I also see that most people raise prices based on price of living, if it goes up, prices go up, its only natural. I remember when i was younger and my mom had our little poodle/maltese groomed (RIP) it was only 15 or 20$, now however, its only about double that, from 30-35$

Also, I ALWAYS charge more for bigger dogs, baths for bigger dogs tend to be about the price of a regular groom for smaller breeds...Think about it, they weigh more, the require more shampoo, more water and a longer drying time so you should charge more.

For grooming them, their teeth are bigger, they weight more and they can be harder to handle, do more damage to your blades and may require a second person to help hold. I don't know if the people who charge less are crazy, or what but I base my prices off of three things, weight, breed and age.

You can't just say all miniature schnauzers are going to be say, 35-45$ if you have a 12 year old 40 lb miniature schnauzer, you should charge more, same goes if you have a 4 month old miniature schnauzer who they just want trimmed, it should be half that price.

I charge extra for skin conditions, uncontrollable pets, biters, etc...its only fair for what I have to deal with....

Comment

I guess what I was getting at, is, are these people students or recent graduates? Are they completely without training? Or are they fully trained & experienced but just live in the type of city where they are afraid to charge average amounts, for whatever reason. I am a student groomer, charging people for the grooming I do, so I'm curious who all is charging $10-45/dog. This will also help me know where to put my prices at--which some of you know is not the funnest job

Comment

Prices reflect what a groomer thinks their work is worth.

Comment

My line of thinking was this:

I just started grooming and needed clients. I trained on these dogs, so they got the first groom free so I could get in some practice, and learn more about each dog. I then offered the clients that let me train on their dogs a low fee for a period of one year. That year is up in August and all of my clients are aware that pricing increases will be taking place in between September and October. I had to learn that prices can't be based on one dog type. Some bite, some are matted some are difficult, some are easy, love everything. My prices are based on the dog.
                  Now for new clients I give a price range over the phone but thell them I will not give an exact price until I see the dog, and after the first appointment that price may go up or down depending on how the groom goes.
                  I just opened my "real" at home business with insurance and advertising in January, and so far I have only had one complaint. I get constructive ideas, and have discussions with my clients about what I can do, and what I can't. I am booking fairly well. and I am always getting decent tips, and little treats from my clients.
                  I have only had a few that are worried about their new raised price that will come into effect within the next 8 weeks, and I have a feeling if they compare it to other shops, they will continue to come here. I take the time to educate the owners, I use high quality products, and I am good with aggressive animals. People like the way their animals are treated here, and have told me that if someone else opened across the street from them and charged half of what I do, they would continue to come to me. The dogs love me and come flying up the steps to see me. I think that plays a big part in it.
                  So lets just say for some Shih Tzu's I am now charging (not real price) $30.00, ain August if it is a well behaved dog the price will rise to about $37-40.00 if it is an animal I have to fight with, it will rise to let's say $45-$50.00
                  Larger breeds I charge high for, now, I learned my lesson by charging way too little from the start. However if they choose to go somewhere else, they will have to book 6-12 weeks in advance. I had one person leave already and she was back here for her next groom and told me raised prices would not make her go away after what she saw at the other shop.
                  New people try to build up clientele, and since we are just starting out I think most of us are nervous, and price low, but we learn fast lol
                  or at least I have! It took me some time to have confidence in my skills, and to build up my business, but I now have about 50 regulars, and over 100 clients. So I am heading in the right direction for me. This may not work for everyone, and some may disagree, but I would never have started grooming if all I could charge was $15.00 for a dog...I am also getting better and faster, so that will let me do more dogs each day and make more money too!
                  Life for me is good, and working out of my home, and making my own hours is wonderful. I couldn't have made a better choice!
                  Each day I fell appreciated by my clients and the dogs, and that has it's own benefits!

Comment

Working...
                  X